“Informative Fun”

Penderyn Distillery
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Penderyn
More attraction details
Owner description: Penderyn produces award-winning single malt whiskies and spirits at their distillery in 'waterfall country', in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons. They offer Tours (one hour, available 9-5, 7 days a week) and Masterclasses (2.5 hours - mainly at weekends) which can be booked online. We strongly recommend booking in advance as we are a working distillery and our tours are limited to 20 people. Further info below. There are a few important provisos, so please read the VISITOR INSTRUCTIONS at the bottom of this page. Cheers! TOURS ‘A brilliant and insightful hour.’ Our award-winning Visitor Centre sees more than 40,000 visitors per annum. During the hour-long tour you will learn about the founding of Penderyn, how our award-winning whisky is made and what makes it so unique. See our mill, our mash tun, our innovative single copper-pot Penderyn stills and our latest addition – a pair of pot stills. At the end of your tour sample some of our products in our Tasting Bar. The Visitor Centre is open 7 days a week, from 9:30 to 17:00 18:00 in the summer months), including most Bank Holidays. Guided tours are available daily on the hour. Tours cost £8.50 per head (£6.50 concessions) and there is a discount for groups of 10 or more. MASTERCLASSES ‘If you love whisky, you'll love this.’ For whisky enthusiasts we recommend our Distillery Masterclass. This fully interactive experience offers an in-depth look into the making of our award-winning Single Malt Welsh Whisky. Enjoy a fully guided tour giving you an insight into the equipment that produces our malted barley wash; our uniquely designed single copper-pot Penderyn stills and our pot stills. As well as imparting our knowledge and experience on the importance of wood and the art of maturation, you will enjoy a fun and informative blind nosing activity and learn the protocol of whisky tasting. Our Masterclass lasts around 2.5 hours. In order to fully appreciate the Masterclass session, we strongly advise that participants do not plan to drive afterwards. Each attendee will receive a gift after their Masterclass. Masterclasses cost £45 per head and there is a discount for groups of 10 or more. IMPORTANT VISITOR INFORMATION Please note that, while children are welcome to visit the distillery, we are a commercial whisky distillery, producing a product which is strictly, and legally, for adult consumption. We do, therefore, expect parents to use their judgement when considering visiting such a venue as we do not have any facilities to entertain children, and no visitors under the age of 16 are permitted to access our production area. Any children brought to the distillery must be supervised at all times and we reserve the right to ask them and their accompanying guardian to leave if they disrupt the experience of our other visitors. Our production area is currently inaccessible to wheelchair users; however, an alternative tour route is available. Flat, sensible footwear must be worn by visitors at all times during the tour or Masterclass – flip flops, heels or open-toed shoes will not be permitted. In the interests of safety, the use of mobile phones, cameras and other electrical equipment is prohibited in the production area; anyone refusing to comply with these rules will be asked to leave the tour. We are a working distillery and so, for operational reasons, we cannot guarantee that all or any of our plant will be working at the time of your visit. However, you may be able to see into the still and mash tun, which can't be done when we are distilling. Please remember that we are a food & drink manufacturer and as such must apply stringent checks across all areas of our business. Therefore, we respectfully ask that if you, or a member of your household, are unwell and/or suffering from any gastrointestinal or contagious illness on the day of your visit that you postpone your visit until a later date. This is to ensure that all of our products are manufactured in the safest way possible.
Penarth, United Kingdom
“Informative Fun”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I took my Cousins husband who is a whisky drinker a bottle of Penderyn Sherrywood when visiting Melbourne last November, and he was very pleased with it and thought it was delicious saying that he would save it for special occasions only. They are visiting the uk at the moment so I took him his my cousin and their friends this week to see where this special whisky is produced and we had a great experience our resident expert was Shona and she was a delight knowledgeable funny informative explaining how the whisky is produced from mash to bottle. The production is halted at the moment due to installation of equipment that will allow Penderyn to make their own mash and facilities to provide an improved visitor experience, and when this is up and running again I will be returning with my family to experience their facility again. Just a note that if you go on the tour and are driving as I was then you can exchange your 2 tasting vouchers for a miniature to take away and sample later, I had the Madeira and though very nice I still prefer the Sherrywood, just a few more to sample, then onto their Vodka and Gin both of which nose very nicely, and the Merlyn cream liqueur is very more'ish. I was a bit reluctant after reading some of these reviews and was pleased with the visit, so Go try it, don't take my word for it, You won't know til You try it

Visited April 2014

Marlow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very enjoyable tour and great Whisky”
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Booked the tour for a birthday present for my dad, what a great day out. The tour guide Mia was very informative with a lovely sense of humour. The visitor centre is very smart with good videos. An enjoyable day out and we are looking forward to returning after the expansion.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Hayleyhorn
South Wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great day out”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My son arranged the masterclass as a 70th birthday present.Attended today 13th April accompanied by my wife. It was a beautiful sunny day so my two sons brought their bikes and went for a ride over the Beacons.
The masterclass given by Alan was excellent,very enjoyable and informative,a lot better than whisky tours I have been on in Scotland. Enjoyed the tasting and nosing, scored 8 out of 10 in the nosing game.We went to the Glancynon Inn for lunch which for £12.95 for a 3 course Sunday lunch was excellent value,very tasty and plenty of it.I believe Alan said the distillery was hatched over a pint at the bar in the very Inn.
An excellent day out and as Arnie said in the Terminator" I'll be back"
Bob Brewster

Visited April 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Day Out for what seemed like an eternity”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Most knowledgeable tour with Mia and Carys being the perfect tour guides a memorable day that had me smiling all the way home ( maybe something to do with the odd one or two tasters) will definitely be back soon

Visited March 2014
1 Thank bonzobach
Port Talbot
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Nice whisky shame about the "tour"”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

My other half took me to the Penderyn Distillery as a birthday treat as I wanted a bottle of their whisky as my birthday present.

We were booked on to the 1.30pm tour on the Saturday and arrived quite early in order to view the items for sale in their shop.

I was bought a bottle of the Madeira whisky as my birthday present which was really lovely and I also had a free miniature of their whisky cream liquor which was also very nice.

Sadly though the tour was less than impressive. I thought the young woman who gave the tour repeated herself a little too much which in turn made the tour over long. I was expecting a grand tour of the premises, within reason of course, but effectively the "tour" was situated in 1 room which was quite airless and could realistically have been done and dusted in about 10 minutes.

I would have no hesitation in recommending their whisky but if you are like me, easily bored, then give the tour a miss.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank sukon
Geoff B, Manager at Penderyn Distillery, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
I am sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy our tour.

While you're entitled to your opinion, the aim of opening the distillery to visitors is to educate and inform people about the ancient art of distilling whisky and to demonstrate the differences between our process and the distilling of Scottish, Irish and American whiskies.
Our Visitor Centre staff are very knowledgeable about the processes and our products.
I disagree with your opinion that this could be "done and dusted in about 10 minutes".

Unfortunately, we cannot take visitors into the production area at the moment due to health and safety regulations (temperature of stills/pipework, forklift activity etc.), but we are part way through a business expansion where we are installing additional brand new stills, processing equipment and a safe new visitor experience on site. Our tour will soon evolve around these new practices.

In 2014 our Distillery expects to attract close to 35,000 visitors to further establish ourselves as a landmark of the Welsh tourism landscape.

We aim to please every visitor who make the trip to our distillery. The majority of our other reviews on TripAdvisor are very positive and I think it's clear that most of our visitors leave our premises with a positive outlook on our experience.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoy our Madeira Finished Penderyn Single Malt Whisky, and our Merlyn Cream Liqueur, which is in actual fact spirit based.