“Not a distillery tour and given wrong information”

Penderyn Distillery
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Penderyn
More attraction details
Owner description: Penderyn produces award-winning single malt whiskies and spirits at their distillery in 'waterfall country', in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons. They offer Tours (one hour, available 9-5, 7 days a week) and Masterclasses (2.5 hours - mainly at weekends) which can be booked online. We strongly recommend booking in advance as we are a working distillery and our tours are limited to 20 people. Further info below. There are a few important provisos, so please read the VISITOR INSTRUCTIONS at the bottom of this page. Cheers! TOURS ‘A brilliant and insightful hour.’ Our award-winning Visitor Centre sees more than 40,000 visitors per annum. During the hour-long tour you will learn about the founding of Penderyn, how our award-winning whisky is made and what makes it so unique. See our mill, our mash tun, our innovative single copper-pot Penderyn stills and our latest addition – a pair of pot stills. At the end of your tour sample some of our products in our Tasting Bar. The Visitor Centre is open 7 days a week, from 9:30 to 17:00 18:00 in the summer months), including most Bank Holidays. Guided tours are available daily on the hour. Tours cost £8.50 per head (£6.50 concessions) and there is a discount for groups of 10 or more. MASTERCLASSES ‘If you love whisky, you'll love this.’ For whisky enthusiasts we recommend our Distillery Masterclass. This fully interactive experience offers an in-depth look into the making of our award-winning Single Malt Welsh Whisky. Enjoy a fully guided tour giving you an insight into the equipment that produces our malted barley wash; our uniquely designed single copper-pot Penderyn stills and our pot stills. As well as imparting our knowledge and experience on the importance of wood and the art of maturation, you will enjoy a fun and informative blind nosing activity and learn the protocol of whisky tasting. Our Masterclass lasts around 2.5 hours. In order to fully appreciate the Masterclass session, we strongly advise that participants do not plan to drive afterwards. Each attendee will receive a gift after their Masterclass. Masterclasses cost £45 per head and there is a discount for groups of 10 or more. IMPORTANT VISITOR INFORMATION Please note that, while children are welcome to visit the distillery, we are a commercial whisky distillery, producing a product which is strictly, and legally, for adult consumption. We do, therefore, expect parents to use their judgement when considering visiting such a venue as we do not have any facilities to entertain children, and no visitors under the age of 16 are permitted to access our production area. Any children brought to the distillery must be supervised at all times and we reserve the right to ask them and their accompanying guardian to leave if they disrupt the experience of our other visitors. Our production area is currently inaccessible to wheelchair users; however, an alternative tour route is available. Flat, sensible footwear must be worn by visitors at all times during the tour or Masterclass – flip flops, heels or open-toed shoes will not be permitted. In the interests of safety, the use of mobile phones, cameras and other electrical equipment is prohibited in the production area; anyone refusing to comply with these rules will be asked to leave the tour. We are a working distillery and so, for operational reasons, we cannot guarantee that all or any of our plant will be working at the time of your visit. However, you may be able to see into the still and mash tun, which can't be done when we are distilling. Please remember that we are a food & drink manufacturer and as such must apply stringent checks across all areas of our business. Therefore, we respectfully ask that if you, or a member of your household, are unwell and/or suffering from any gastrointestinal or contagious illness on the day of your visit that you postpone your visit until a later date. This is to ensure that all of our products are manufactured in the safest way possible.
Leamington Spa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not a distillery tour and given wrong information”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I've done the English Whiskey tour and many in Scotland. This is the only tour you don't go round the distillery and only look at through glass windows. You see nothing. It's not a tour and more a museum.
The guide gave incorrect information and as a avid collector and drinker if Malt Whiskey, wouldn't recommend it.
The shop is expensive and the same whiskey is cheaper in shops in towns around the country.
Also those who collect whiskey, the bottles in the shop advertised, you are not allowed to buy! I wanted to buy a bottle to collect for £140 but when they got it out of the cabinet, they told me I couldn't because it was bottle 1 of 212.
I've emailed the company to see if I get a response as to why they have bottles, priced tagged you can't buy?
During the tour (if that's what you can call it) told wrong information about the 'Angels share' and the age of whiskey.
Go to a Scottish distillery or the English Whiskey company if you want to find out about malt whiskey and have a tour not a museum visit.
Scottish whiskey experience by Edinburgh castle a much better museum by far.

3 Thank Cjb1974
Geoff B, Manager at Penderyn Distillery, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

Allow me to respond to your many criticisms.

We are indeed a Visitor Centre & Shop.
Our tour starts with our Exhibition Area, where you see the history of whisky making in Wales, including the last genuine Welsh Whisky from Frongoch, near Bala, North Wales. You then move on to our Viewing Area, where you have a chance to view safely behind our windows, the different distillation processes at Penderyn Distillery. You then visit our Tasting Bar where you either taste 2 Penderyn products, OR, take 1 miniature bottle away with you.
To state "you see nothing" is ludicrous. Note our many other positive Tripadvisor reviews.

Our guide is here to explain to visitors the processes of producing WELSH whisky. Certain aspects may differ to Scottish/English distilleries. How is the guide "incorrect" in the information he/she is giving?

Regarding the price of our whisky in our Visitor Centre Shop, they are the recommended retail prices in which they are sold at. The prices of our bottles of whisky elsewhere could be slightly cheaper or more expensive, depending on what profit margin that company wishes to make.

The numbered bottle wasn't "tagged", it was a display bottle behind a glass unit, along with other limited editions, that had prices near to them, simply to show our customers what the price would be if they were interested in purchasing one. Penderyn staff will then inform customers of what numbers we DO have available to purchase.
We politely stated to you that we always display bottle number 1 in this glass cabinet on the grounds that it is eventually stored, along with our other previous limited editions, in our display cabinet in our Exhibition Area.
You couldn't seem to accept this.
Meanwhile, I must point out during this point of your visit, customers waiting to be served in our shop were getting slightly disgruntled with your continuous argument with our unfortunate member of staff.

During our tour (that's what we indeed call it), we state 3 years and 1 day is the legal requirement for spirit to mature in casks, until it can be called 'whisky'. Penderyn whisky casks are then chosen for use anywhere between 4-7 years through the casks spirit quality, NOT age. We do not have any age statements on our whiskies, so I don't understand how you think our information regarding the age of whisky was the "wrong information".

Enclosing, I feel this review is clearly an unfair personal attack on our Visitor Centre, simply due to the fact that you left our premises disgruntled without your unobtainable numbered bottle.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Visit July”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We are a group of Grumpy Old Men who take ourselves off every 3 months to visit places of interest to us.
I am Welsh but the others are not and I had to persuade them that I was not fooling when I said we were going to the Welsh Distillery to taste whisky.
We had a great tour guide Alan who was very amusing informative and had a fund of jokes.
Brilliant visit_thank you to all.

Neath
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent tour of the distillery with Carys!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We visited the Penderyn Distillery yesterday (24/07/2014) as a fairly large party of 56 people and took the Distillery tour. The people at Penderyn could not have been more helpful in ensuring our visit was efficiently and effectively managed. We were split into 2 groups and embarked on a wonderful tour of Wales only Distillery. Carys was our group tour guide and the young lady complimented the visit by providing a mature. informative presentation with the right amount of technical information to satisfy everyone in the group. Carys is bi-lingual in Welsh and English which again allowed her to promote the best of Wales in a very professional manner. The samples in the Penderyn bar at the end of the tour allowed everyone to leave with a warm affection for Penderyn whiskey. Highly recommended!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“interesting place to see”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

my husband was keen to visit this place as you know the famous welsh whiskey is made from the wells here also you can visit at certain tmes of the day you paid to see vintage brews of whiskeys he enjoyed it last admission for toursis 4 p.m. we pre booked for this visit.

Visited June 2014
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Don't think twice about doing this, you're wasting valuable tasting time!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Ok, I'll start by saying that if I am drudgingly married to alcohol then fine whisky has been my seductive mistress since I was 18 - and that's a long time ago, friends. I therefore flatter myself that I may have just a vague idea of what a half-decent noggin is all about. Lo, did it thus come to pass that my wife and I recently attended the Masterclass here and were not disappointed. Very impressed, in fact. Our guide Alan was a grand character of the Old School who not only kept us amused through the intricacies of explaining the science and mechanics of production, he actually knew his stuff. The process involves a still the likes of which I have never seen before; a unique combination in which we were confronted with a contraption that is all innovative and modern and all that stuff - and clearly with an eye to the future - yet doing a time-honoured job in the traditional manner. Intriguing. But enough of this; what was the whisky actually like? Well, other than saying I happily bought a shed-load for the collection, a healthy part of which is passing through my kidneys right now, I'll leave that one to you, Dear Reader. It is, of course, quite literally all a question of taste. Personally, I couldn't fault this lot in any regard, from entering the door to coming back out again more than three hours later. Bear in mind they also offer a quite superlative - dare one say unique? - vodka, two different gins and a divine cream liqueur, then that's your Christmas list sorted in one fell swoop. Top hole. Go there. Ta.

2 Thank HarleymanG