“Home away from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orphir
Foinhaven Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 9 Orphir B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

What a welcome! Our self contained accommodation was better than the description, everything was so well thought through, from the fresh milk and eggs in the frig through to a choice of coffee, instant to plunger. Our family felt so welcome and truly a home away from home. Thank you Margaret and Ray.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

When we left Foinhaven and the Orkney, already missing them, Margaret and Raymond hugged us at the front door. We had been there only for three days, but we were beginning to feel part of the family and part of the place: not only the house, so nice and well run, but also Orphir and the whole island. Foinhaven is a nice, clean and comfortable house, kindly lead by Margaret, with the enthusiastic and always talkative help of his husband. Breakfasts are never to be forgotten, so generous and hearty, in the Scottish way. Raymond will chase you every evening to inquire what will you feel like for breakfast the morning after...In many Scottish B&B this is done in this way, but when talking about free choice in breakasts, Raymond is a believer. Take profit of his talkative nature and ask him about places to visit, restaurants to eat and Orkney's special words and traditions to learn.
Foinhaven is in the country, not far from Kirkwall and Stromness but not too close, so it's absolutly quiet and peaceful...but you'll need a car to arrive there. From the house you'll see a lake and a beach, and beatiful fields full of birds in the morning and the evening. Go for a walk, please! And don't forget this is a working farm, so greet the cats, the chickens, the ducks, the cows and the sheep, too!

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank barcelonaconnection
Dunkeld, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I thought I had booked a week's single B&B, at this lovely quiet spot with views of loch, sea and hills all around. But for the cheapest of prices one might expect for B&B I got a whole apartment, with bedroom for three, large shower room, sitting room and fully equipped kitchen (full size cooker, fridge, freezer and microwave, plus condiments and spices as well as tea, coffee, sugar etc) - all this and a kingsize breakfast included. I could easily have eaten enough at breakfast to last me for three days, and had to insist on smaller portions every time. As if that weren't enough, Margaret the proprietor slipped a couple of homemade cakes into my room every day. The delicious breakfast bread was homemade too, and the egg producers were on view in the garden.

The house is only ten minutes from Kirkwall by car, and about the same distance from Maes Howe, the Ring of Brodgar and other notable sites. For me, on a visit to see both the archaeology and the botany of Orkney, it was perfect. I just hope I get a chance to go back one day.

Room Tip: All the apartments have views of the loch, the sea or both.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I loved this B&B and would actually rate this closer to a 5-star stay. Our rooms were cosy and clean (we had two of them for four people) and the view from the front was incredible. Owners were incredibly nice and I would definitely stay there again!

My only downsides were the wifi and the noise from those above my room. Wifi was good if I sat near my door. I really can't comment on how it was in the other room since my son didn't use it. It was also a bit loud when the folks upstairs were moving around, but it didn't last long.

Overall, I would definitely recommend a stay here if you like to be away from it all. Great hosts and wonderful central location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

With a friendly handshake at their front door, Margaret & Raymond welcome us into their home - upstairs to one if the three apartments, we head into the spacious 3 bedroom apartment - we stayed here 3 years ago and this second visit the apartment is just as clean, comfortable and well stocked with items such as milk, coffee & tea and plenty of towels - with good WiFi, Margaret & Raymond certainly make this THE place to stay in Orkney.

Stayed July 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed just one night while working in the area, It was a quiet location, a very nice room and a friendly welcome. It can be a bit difficult to find, I would certainly stay again if in the area. A great breakfast too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Andy R
nr Motherwell, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Im back a few weeks now from Foinhaven and haven't rushed to write a review because I wrote a very extensive one last time. Came here just to really refer newer readers back to it, to find I could no longer access it. So here goes with a new review.
I would NEVER consider stayiong anywhere else on Orkney. I stayed in the upstairs self catering flats which were spotless, fully equiped and etremely comfortable and very reasonably priced.
It is situated approximately half way between Stromness and Orphir and handy for everywhere. The views are fabulous and I am breaking my heart because we have to go somewhere else next year on holiday.
Norman and Margaret our hosts were helpful and friendly, full of great advise about where to go. Orcadian history and language. Norman had me picking mushrroms for his breakfast all over Orkney. And now I am home I am still doing it. (Thanks Norman, that was a wee special gift)

Room Tip: Let Norman show you what mushrooms to pick and are safe to eat.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ra B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orphir
Smithfield Hotel
Buxa Farm Chalets & Croft House
Westrow Lodge B & B
Westrow Lodge B & B
#1 of 9 in Orphir

Been to Foinhaven Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!