“Still Disappointed”

Wychwood Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Weston
Reviewed 14 March 2014

In response to Nathan's reply to my husband’s previous comments, I wholeheartedly agree that a discussion would have been better however at no time did Nathan consider taking advantage of the opportunity to discuss the situation with us when we were at the hotel despite the fact that we had already made our disappointment known. Maybe he will take note of this for the future as I'm sure this type of situation will be repeated. Regarding offering an alternative meal on Valentine's evening, the only dishes we were offered were those on the set menu with a "well, that's it response". This is hardly offering alternative dishes to appease as Nathan's reply suggests. Maybe if a little more attention to customer service was part of the staff training, things might have been better but clearly this is somewhat lacking. And just to be absolutely clear, at no time did we expect to have our whole drinks bill as complimentary as this would be completely unreasonable however the one drink we did have at dinner which was supposed to be complimentary was on our invoice when we checked out therefore it wasn't complimentary after all, hence my husband’s previous comment. We simply paid this without making any fuss and put it down to a disappointing experience. Regarding the reason for staying at the hotel for two nights, the second of which was to attend the fund raising event for DN on the Saturday evening which was held in The Claret Jug, this was both enjoyable and with better bar service although we fail to see why that was in any way relevant to mention in my husband’s previous comments regarding our experiences in the hotel. Nathan's reply has not improved our views regarding this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear baileybeattie
Thanks again for your posting. I would very much like to welcome you back to Wychwood to restore your faith in our venue and to demonstrate to you our usual high level of customer service. Should you be in a position to visit us again please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will ensure you are taken good care of.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

I stopped at Wychwood Park for a mid-week wedding for my niece. The whole experience was one of joy. Although we live locally, we decided to stay over, so glad we did. The whole day went extremely well. The food for the wedding breakfast was delicious and so was the hot buffet for the evening reception. The venue itself was outstanding and I’d not hesitate to recommend this venue. The room was very clean and the bed extremely comfortable. My only gripe would be that the furniture is now looking a little dated and maybe the TV could do with replacing, looks like something from the dark ages and doesn’t fit in with the modern look of this hotel (room 26) but saying that, I don’t stop in hotels to watch TV. On the whole it was a lovely day/evening and a lovely stay. The breakfast was outstanding, just what was needed after a night partying! The staff were all very polite and professional. Thanks again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear topher196745
Thank you for taking the time to post this review.
I am pleased you had a great stay and have also recommend it to others.
With all the terrible weather we have had it was fantastic to be able to conduct the wedding ceremony outside under glorious sunshine.
I will pass your comments on to all of my staff as it is good for them to receive such positive feedback.
Regards Nathan.

Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My wife and I Stayed for a Monday and Tuesday night with our dog. We were given a ground floor room near reception which was helpful in
Getting the mutt out for walkies. The diner B&B deal we were on was excellent value and the Restraunt food was good. The only criticism is the tv was rubbish.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Aletaster69
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased you found the dinner B&B deal excellent value and the Steam, Bake and Grill Restaurant food good.
I am sorry the televisions are not good and I am really trying to have them upgraded.
I am pleased we were able to look after your labrador on this occasion however a recent change to our policy now no longer allows dogs in bedrooms and had to highlight this in case other readers pick up on it.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Nathan.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Stayed 21st-23rd Feb. 24 golfers had a great weekend. The hotel was great, yeah the TV is old but just how long do you spend in your room watching it? 30 minutes in the morning to get the weather report so that wasn't a big issue. The rooms were tidy and the beds comfy. All 24 of us loved the food, both breakfast and evening meal. Even with a big wedding on on Saturday night we didn't feel like we were pushed to one side, the place is plenty big enough to accommodate all. All in all i would recommend the hotel to others and the added bonus was a great golf course on site. Only downside was no swimming pool but thats just being picky.
Thanks for looking after our party.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear wadey71
Thank you for your recent review.
I am pleased to read that all 24 of you loved the food, both breakfast and evening meal.
I know we had a large marquee wedding on whilst you were with us, however as you said we did ensure all of our guests were well looked after.
Thanks for your recommendation and hope to see you back at some point.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We just had our wedding at Wychwood Park and were absolutely blown away by the friendliness and high level of service from all involved.

It was never going to be easy feeding and accommodating a wedding party of 200 but they did it to perfection. We opted to have a marquee on the grounds however we also had exclusive use of the main bar area for canapés and reception drinks plus the main foyer for the photo booth and evening buffet. The good was fantastic, piping hot, looked great and tasted delicious.

It was lovely that everyone could stay afterwards and everyone was raving about the breakfasts the next day!!

The team at Whychwood really looked afterwards with special mentions to Bernadette Dunn the wedding coordinator who has the patience of a saint!! Terry the banqueting manager who was on hand all day and night to make sure everything ran smoothly and Paul who set the marquee out and served us.

Such an excellent day the guys at Wychwood were fantastic I highly recommend having your wedding here (and you don't have to have a marquee they have an excellent room the Cheshire Suite for exclusive use)

• Stayed: February 2014
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear MLG1981
Thank you for your recent review.
I was really pleased to hear you had a great day and subsequently posted this review.
I am sure Bernadette, Terry and Paul will be motivated by your comments as there was a lot of activity by them behind your meticulous planning to ensure the day went with out a hitch.
As you say to deliver the wedding in a marquee to the high standards went to plan and it was good to hear of the comments made by guests over breakfast the next morning.
Once again many thanks and I wish you both a long, happy and healthy life together.
Regards,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Wychwood Park on the 15th February 2014 for 1 night.

As a typical cheeky travel agent, in advance i asked for a room with balcony etc and this is what i got.

On arrival the hotel has very impressive grounds and a very long drive with private hotel parking (free).

We didnt really use a lot of the hotel facilities during our stay as we dined out at The Hand and Trumpet about 2 miles away.

The room was nice and with a balcony (room 119), The room was spacious, very clean and the bed was very comfy.

The reception staff were very helpful, as i forgot to take toothpaste with me and they sorted me out.

The only little moan i could see was that the cleaners kept all the empty champagne bottles and room service plates etc in the corridors. They were there from when we arrived at approx 14.30(2.30pm) and when we arrived back from the restaurant at 22:30 (10.30pm). This could give some people something to moan about.

Check-out is 11am on a sunday.

Im a travel agent working/ living 10 miles away in Stoke on Trent. I will be recommending this hotel to my business clients, leisure clients, friends and family. To be honest im already looking at going back again.

Fantastic fireworks display at the hotel for some occasion.

Great value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear travelagentdean
Thank you for your recent review following your stay just after Valentines day.
I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and will be recommending us to all you come in contact with.
We had a large fund raising dinner on at the Venue and I am pleased they were an added benefit to your stay.
The clearing of room service trays is something we need to get much better at and will be working with my team to do so.
I look forward to your next great value stay. Nathan.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Arrived on February 14th - warmly welcomed in reception. Room adequate although very strange to have a single headboard on king size bed. 5.15 went for drinks at bar - told wouldn't be open until at least 6 o'clock because of staff shortage. After my husband spoke to reception somebody arrived to take orders from waiting guests - as we had nowhere to sit we insisted the bar be opened. Went in only to find bar in a filthy state. All tables dirty- many with dirty glasses on, floor and some seating covered with bits of food and rubbish. Was not impressed - if I am paying £8 for a glass of wine it would be good to have a clean table to put it on. Dinner and breakfast were fine, as wre the dining staff but was told by other guests bar remained in the same state all evening. Why no spa facilities? Certainly not as good as other De Veres we have stayed in. Probably won't be back.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
WychwoodPark, General Manager at Wychwood Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear John C
Thank you for your recent posting.
I am pleased you enjoyed your dinner and breakfast and apologise for the appearance of the bar.
We have two bars on the Venue and the Claret jug was open from 8am through until midnight and the secondary bar Bar Vista opened at 6pm as planned and I can assure you there was no staff shortages that evening as we served nearly 200 diners.
We don't advertise or market a Spa so this facility was not available.
I am pleased you have used other De Vere Hotels before however please note we are in the De Vere Venues part of the company and therefore direct comparison should not be made.
Nathan.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Weston
Crewe Hall
Crewe Hall
#2 of 9 in Crewe
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa
De Vere Cranage Estate
Best Western Plus Stoke on Trent Alsager Manor House Hotel
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Doubletree by Hilton Chester

Been to Wychwood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!