“Our Dream Wedding Came Alive”

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My now Husband (then fiancé) and I booked Breadsall for our wedding and from the moment we booked we were looked after amazingly. Katie, the events executive, helped us to plan our wedding over the space of 9 months and nothing was too much trouble. Anything I asked for she did her best to accommodate. Nearer the time of the wedding we had our handover with Kyle who would be coordinating our wedding on the day. Both Katie and Kyle were fantastic and put my mind right at ease. They were friendly yet professional and had everything under control. When it came to the weekend of the wedding we stayed two nights in the hotel, used the pool, ate in the sports bar and the restaurant and every member of staff we met were brilliant and the amenities and food were fantastic. Our wedding went without a hitch and it was all down to the amazing staff at Breadsall. Kyle uses humour and charm to make every bride feel special and I'm pretty sure he nearly cried with me as I walked down the aisle! Mel and her team that ran the catering side greeted me so warmly when I was at my most nervous and calmed me down a treat. They went above and beyond what was asked and I can't thank everyone at Breadsall enough for giving my husband and I our dream wedding.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,205)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is the second time we've stayed at Breadsall Priory and despite our feedback it would appear that little has changed, particularly where the restaurant is concerned.

The hotel itself is impressive and the gardens immaculate however my experience of the rooms indicates that a general refurbishment is long overdue. The suite that we've stayed in on both occasions has tired and worn furniture whilst the bathroom requires a deep clean, re-grouting and re-painting, preferably by someone who can actually paint. The beds are standard Marriott fare so no complaints there. I wish that housekeeping would pay attention to how many guests are staying in a room and provide adequate provisions, both times we've had to ring housekeeping to request extra teabags etc.

As Marriott Platinum guests the welcome gift is similar to those received elsewhere however the Marriott Forest of Arden offers a full bottle of wine as opposed to Breadsall's half bottle and their cheese platter was far superior. I fail to understand why the Forest of Arden can offer a full size bottle whilst Breadsall can't.

The restaurant is the real issue in this place. On our last visit we ate in the Tempo bar as well as the Priory restaurant but the food served on that occasion was so horrendous that we didn't risk it this time around and decided to see if the feedback provided on the previous visit had resulted in any changes. Unfortunately it hadn't. The chef is clearly punching above his weight, presumably as a result of watching too much Masterchef and feeling confident that his skills and taste are more advanced than they actually are. The few dishes on offer are uninspiring and include ingredient pairings that are odd at best, tempura lobster claw on a slice of pineapple accompanied by an unidentifiable fruit sauce and stray piece of shell? The dish had also been prepared earlier in the day and, like many of the other starters, had been left in the fridge prior to serving. This resulted in a loss of flavour and texture and any cook worth their salt knows that fridge cold food is lacking in flavour.

Pork crackling that had been deep fried to create an airy equivalent of a quaver was spectacularly lacking in taste. Duck crackling that had been cooked to a dark, dense slab was deeply unappetising. Lamb chops cooked with spices was nice but not enough to redeem the meal.

The restaurant does offer steak and chips, two varieties, rump and flat iron. A flat iron requested rare arrived medium whilst a medium rare rump turned out as requested. Chips are large and tasted very good, probably the best thing the kitchen produced.

Desserts were hit and miss, overcooked pastry, watery and sharp fruit sauces, pointless "textural" additions such as puffed rice. A good chocolate brownie and decent ice cream but not enough to redeem the kitchen. The chef wants to do fine dining but he hasn't the experience or the knowledge to pull it off, they should stick to gastropub style food and perfect the art of a cooking a steak to the customer's request.

In comparison, the relatively close Forest of Arden country club exceeds Breadsall Priory in all respects even if it does lack the character of the main house and Breadsall's management could learn a lot from there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank PompeyJim
Allayne B, Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We are very sorry that you was disappointed with your stay. We hope we can do much better next time. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef for him to address.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We were staying here for one night on the way to the Peak District and we were impressed with everything during our stay. Very impressive grounds and check in was swift. We walked around the grounds and I would suggest walking around them - they are stunning especially the nature trail. We had our 3 year old son with us however had DBB basis so had to take him with us in the priory restaurant which really isn't a family eaterie however all the staff made us feel welcome and he was well behaved! The food was simply amazing and you can see why it's double rosette.
Bedroom nice and bed comfy - lovely view of gardens. We used the pool and this was lovely too.
I would happily stay here again so ignore the negative comments from the fussy brigade!
Two negatives - you have to pay £6 per hour for wifi in your room which is rare these days plus we requested a bed for our son to be put in the room which was done however a surcharge of £15 was put on the bill with no one from reservations on the phone telling me of the extra charge - when I questioned this on checkout the lady was excellent and once realised I wasn't told took it off the bill - excellent customer service.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My husband and I booked a spa day here costing £60, which we thought was good value. Although we had made enquiries about the deal no one advised us to book fitness classes in advance and they were all full on the day. We didn't fancy the gym and so went for a swim. The pool area was adequate but the sides of the pool were grubby. Afterwards I stood dripping in the changing room because my locker malfunctioned and a kind lady fetched someone to help me (a common occurrence apparently). We then went for our massage (included) I was refused on the grounds of Marriott policy because I have not been clear of cancer for 5 years. To say I felt like a second class citizen is an understatement, plus I am appalled at the ignorance of Marriott hotels because massage is actually offered to me as a cancer victim by the NHS as an alternative therapy. All they have to do is offer a disclaimer. I ended up just having my nails painted instead. Very poor value for money and, presumably, we paid a discounted price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Allayne B, Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

I am really sorry that we let you down and be reassured that I am addressing the issues you raised. Hope you have an enjoyable Easter

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having stayed at many Marriott Hotels I suppose it is difficult not to compare. This hotel is in a beautiful setting. The Hotel looks impressive as you arrive. The receptionist on arrival not of the usual Marriott standard don`t know if this was because we were using Tesco vouchers although we are Gold Marriott members. Room was disappointing furniture shabby and very basic, need a better plumber in bathroom could not get hand under taps to wash them they were so close to the edge. Breakfast was of cheap quality again not to the usual Marriott standard fairly tasteless. The restaurant on the other hand was very good. I am lactose intolerant and they could not have been more helpful. If you are not very mobile it is not a suitable hotel as lots on stairs and no lifts.
I felt that to say it is the oldest Marriott hotel and a listed building was the answer to what is not right. Such a shame because this could be the jewel in the Marriott crown with some lessons from some of the other hotels in the Marriott Group.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I apologise that we did not meet your expectations. Your comments are currently being addressed with the team. Have a nice Easter and make the most of the long weekend

Reviewed 15 April 2014

my wife and I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights 14/15 April. The king size room was basic with water stains on a large part of the ceiling. There was 1 shower gel which we used in the evening, leaving none for the morning. so I phoned reception to ask for some more while we were at dinner. On our return we found another 1. In the bar I ordered a tomato juice with the trimmings. The bar tender looked as though I had sworn at him and studiously consulted a folder, which I assume held details of cocktails.
After a while he gave up and asked me what it was so I told him. He then disappeared for 5 minutes and came back with a stick of celery, which he rammed into the glass poured in the tomato juice and tobacco. I asked where the Worcester sauce was, and he informed me that there wasn't any.

The rooms heating was inadequate, and there was no heating in the bathroom.

The food was reasonable as were most of the staff, but value for money it certainly wasn't.

We stayed a couple of weeks earlier at Horsley Lodge Hotel -which you can almost see from the Marriot. If you don't want a pool ( which is always filled with children having swimming lessons) you will get much better value there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry you were disappointed with aspects of your stay. I am postive we can do much better next time

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Fabulous, extensive grounds, helpful staff and lots of them, very comfortable bed and faultless food, so not really anything to grumble about! However, I picked this place because I like country house hotels with some style and elegance, and this rather falls down in these respects. The 'medieval origins' are really nothing more than a single arch in the basement and the Victorian industrialist who built the place clearly had more money than taste. But what is intersting about the hotel is that guests really do not get to see the grand reception rooms as they are given over to functions and seminars. Instead, the guests are confined to a distinctly underwhelming room for the bar and dine in what is essentially the basement. Maybe I am being a little over-critical and, as I said earlier, in every other respect, this place has much to commend it.

Room Tip: I had a room in the main (old) building which was delightful, but there is no lift and lots of stair...