“Lovely weekend but not quite perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
West Sussex
“Lovely weekend but not quite perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the Priory last weekend for 2 nights (13/14 June). All the staff were helpful and friendly and the food excellent. Our room was clean and comfortable but bathroom a bit tatty. We were put in the old farmhouse with a very disappointing view of the wall of the leisure complex.
My husband played golf on the Saturday and was very impressed with the course - would definitely like to play it again. Whilst he was playing golf I treated myself to some spa treatments - and it is here that I felt the experience was let down. Friendly staff but it just didn't come across as very luxurious surroundings. The room where I had one of my treatments was untidy, tatty and dirty (dust, dirt and hair around the edges of the room). I had planned to use the pool on the Saturday morning before I had my spa treatments but when I mentioned this at the time of booking my spa, was notified that the pool was used for swimming lessons on a Saturday morning (and although there would be a lane available) it would be very busy - which wasn't what I wanted/expected. I wasn't told this at the time of booking our accommodation.

We did enjoy our stay, the beautiful grounds etc but just came away feeling that maybe we'd paid a little too much for what we actually got.

Room Tip: Don't get one in the Farmhouse if you want a view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just come back from one night in Breadsall Priory and I have to say that the place is excellent.

The hotel's main building is beautiful and was set in lovely gardens which were well maintained. Check In was smooth and friendly though there was no offer to take bags to the room which would have been appreciated.

Rooms are well appointed, with king-size bed and large bathroom. Everything in the room worked as it should do. TV has a good selection of Channels and additional services.

We ate in the Priory restaurant and this too was an excellent experience. We booked a table in advance (recommended) and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We had booked a room which contained a 3 course evening meal as part of our stay and were pleasantly surprised to find that we could order anything from the menu (except for cheese and biscuits) without incurring a supplement. The waitress was attentive and friendly.

Breakfast the following morning was excellent with plenty of choice. After this we checked out the indoor pool which was located to the rear of the property. The pool and it's associated changing facilities were clean and tidy so no faults there.

Overall this is lovely hotel in a great setting with great staff and customer service. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for four nights, room very comfortable - soft pillows and plenty of them. Complimentary gown and slippers. Nice toiletries. TV complicated and cannot fault the quality and quantity of food! Two places to eat...downstairs restaurant, food faultless and service slow. Tempo bar, lively and noisy, good service and good, simple food. Beautiful location and (as a non-golfer) understand its a great course.

Room Tip: Around £12 by taxi so not central to Derby
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Karen R
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We held my daughter's wedding at this venue an amazing day .First of all the staff and wedding co-ordinator couldn't have been more obliging so helpful nothing was too much trouble.Obviously the setting was fabulous the rooms were immaculate and decorated beautifully. The chosen menu was perfectly cooked and served .We were treated so well by friendly efficient staff who were clearly well trained what a pleasure it was to be there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Denise3214
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

My husband and I went away for a long weekend away from the kids it was lovely very relaxing. We could not fault the room the servies or the food this was our third visit and well be making a fourth very soon.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I planned a weekend away to just get away from it all for a few nights.

We chose Breadsall Priory because it wasn't far to drive and looked like it was within a nice setting.

Well it certainly was. We arrived at 8pm after finishing work on a Friday and drove into the grounds to be greeted by lush green lawns and bunnies hopping around.

The lady that checked us in was extremely polite and very helpful. She gave us our key and explained that they had automatically booked us in at 7.30pm for evening meal but as it was past this time they would cater for us whenever we were ready.

After a quick dash to the room to dump bags and have a wash and change we went down to the restaurant.

Again, the staff that greeted us were most helpful and the food we were presented with was fantastic . We had booked our stay with evening meal included. On the menu the starters began at about £7.50 and the mains at about £17.50. We find that the usual rule of thumb is that when your booking includes dinner, you get a £20 allowance and anything above that is chargeable. Steaks always carry an additional surcharge too.

Not at Breadsall- all of the starters and mains (and desserts I assume - we couldn't fit in any of those) were included in our booking fee. The only items that were extra were if you ordered additional veg. But there really was no need to.

If I had to complain about something, it was that we were sat at a table in the window which was very close to two other tables squashed into the same alcove. I'm guessing that we were sat here to enjoy the beautiful view out of the window (because there were several other tables available throughout the restaurant.) It just meant that we were within touching distance of the couple next to us which at times felt a little impersonal. (No chance of whispering sweet nothings that night!)

Our bedroom was very clean, spacious and nicely decorated with an extremely comfy bed. The bathroom was a little tired looking with some of the sink surface scratched off but it was very clean and so didn't bother us too much.

The hotel had a wedding on the second night but we can honestly say that we weren't disturbed by it at all. We were also pleased that the Tempo bar opened late for us to watch England in the world cup!

The only other grumble I would have is that there is a charge of £15 per day for Internet in your room (Although I believe it is free in reception).
In this day and age, and especially with the cost and standard of the hotel I would expect this to be included in my tariff. And at the very least I feel that if a fee must be charged it shouldn't be as extreme as this!

All in all a very relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings with wonderful food. A special shout out must go to the staff member Olga (i think) who was friendly fun and attentive.

I would recommend this hotel but think that perhaps it wouldn't have been as much value for money had we just booked b&b. The dinner really made it perfect.

Well done Breadsall.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RubeusMinerva
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Breadsall Priory never fails to deliver in my honest opinion and I have visited the establishment on numerous occasions over the past 10 years for various different events.
After recently returning home following a relaxing weekend away with my wife a few weeks ago I have gushed about the impeccable standard of service that we received.
Firstly, upon our arrival there were quite a few people waiting to be checked in but the lady on reception remained upbeat and smiley and very apologetic for the time other arriving guests were having to wait - it was clear to see how impatient some guests can be - my wife & I found it quite amusing watching others who have obviously never experienced a "queue" before. As soon as we were next we were greeted by a very smiley and helpful light haired girl who gave us all the information we needed and then a very pleasant concierge offered to take our luggage to the room. The room was lovely, situated in The Mews where we have previously stayed - great character to the buildings and all in all a lovely room so we became immediately settled & relaxed.

Our first point of call was definitely the bar ! As we were approaching the top of the corridor to enter the Tempo Bar we received a very warm welcoming smile from a small light haired girl behind the bar and then politely greeted and asked how we were rather than being asked what we want straight away! We ordered our gin & tonics and the barmaid took our room number and suggested we take a seat and she would bring them over to us with some menus. The bar was very buzzy with different groups of people, always a very open friendly atmosphere throughout the bar as it clearly caters for every type of clientele! We chose the comfy seats in the corner of the bar and our drinks arrived promptly delivered by the same member of staff who appeared to be quite familiar so may have worked there for some time. We went on to order a light snack which was delivered by a very polite dark haired young man who looked after us and was attentive throughout our time in the bar area. I think the jolly atmosphere is maintained in there by the outgoing, friendly staff who appeared to have great camaraderie with each other (including the gentleman in the shirt and tie which i assume is the bar manager) alongside with professionalism which really rubs off on the service given which Is what I find is missing from many establishments.

We decided after our food had gone down to go and relax in the leisure facilities, we were greeted by a very friendly young man called Josh If i recall. He was very helpful and directed us through to the leisure club with our towels. The pool was rather busy with families and swimmers so we opted for the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna to begin with! Lovely facilities, very clean and well kept. Again a lovely atmosphere to relax and enjoy - definitely improved over recent years.

We headed down to the Priory Restaurant for our evening meal, we were seated almost immediately and the staff were trying there best to be attentive in a very busy restaurant where they appeared to be slightly understaffed which of course is through no fault of their own. We did have to ask twice for our drinks but the young man was very apologetic and we weren't phased by it at all and of course didn't let this ruin our evening!The food was delicious and well worth the money at a Marriott Hotel, towards the end of our meal the strain was clearly showing on the staff and had begun to get quite manic! The standard of service in the restaurant would be so much better if only there had been a few more on duty that evening but non the less we had a great time and left a gratuity for the poor staff who seem to receive no help from the management on this occasion. We returned to the Tempo bar for a night cap and were greeted by the same set of staff on from earlier who were all very friendly and we had a good chat with. We requested a bag of ice and went back to the room.

All in all a great day and the standard of service was very consistent throughout, we checked out the following afternoon and felt completely rejuvenated. Breadsall Priory is like a breath of fresh air and we have always recommended it as the place to stay in this area to friends who also agree!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nottingham B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Casa Hotel
Casa Hotel
#1 of 15 in Chesterfield
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,271 reviews

Been to Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!