My family stayed here for two nights in June for a wedding, we live in the US so it made sense for my wife / daughter and I to stay here instead of travelling back and forth for reception / seeing people etc.
We had a reduced rate of 145 GBP a night for being in the wedding party which included breakfast ( apparently the normal rate doesn't include breakfast ), upon checking in the first thing I noticed is while the room was nice , for over $200 a night I've stayed at some hotels in the world with much nicer rooms for that cost.
First the good :
- Beautiful setting: This is actually the oldest Marriott hotel in the world, the building is beautiful and you can tell that it is rich in history, also the grounds are wonderfully maintained and it really is a wonderful place to take pictures.
- The food : We sampled the food for the wedding which was very impressive, I didn't get chance to eat at any of the restaurants on site, however my wife ordered a Pizza from the casual restaurant and said she was very impressed, another thing I noticed was that the breakfast they served was wonderful, lots of selection and certainly a cut above the normal hotel breakfast fare.
- The Service: As i'd mentioned we were there for a wedding and as I was in the wedding party I had a couple of requests that were honoured for me and a couple of staff members were very helpful.
Now the bad :
- The Rooms: As I mentioned before the rooms were a little on the small / basic side for what we paid, also the location of the rooms is going to play a big part in your stay, we were placed halfway through the hotel and while there is parking nearby your room if you want to walk from your room to the reception / meeting rooms its quite a hike, also there are lots of small steps up and down, it really can be quite tiring to get from your room to other parts of the hotel by walking.
-Internet : 15GBP a day for Internet and 6GBP an hour !!! Come on, in this day and age for what you're paying for the room and for how connected we all have to be nowadays to charge for internet is outrageous, especially as they provide it for free in the reception area.
- Parking : Parking can be a little bit of a premium and I would imagine that on full days when people are playing golf and the hotel is running at or near capacity Parking could be an issue and I would envision times you could either be parked very far away from your room, or even not find a place to park at all.
Overall I left Breadsall Priory with some positive feelings and a couple of negative feelings as well, however in its setting and location there really aren't many choices, and I would imagine if you're looking for a wedding location this would definitely be a worthy consideration !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club is a magnificent Grade II listed, 13th century stately residence set in breathtaking scendery on the edge of the Peak District near Derby. History meets modern comfort at this spectacular location. You will be impressed from the moment you arrive. Close to East Midlands Airport, Alton Towers, The Peak District National Park and major motorway and rail links means you enjoy historic splendour while staying close to what's really important! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Marriott, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Breadsall Priory, a Marriott Hotel And Country Club
- Marriott Derby
- Derby Marriott
- Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club Morley, Derbyshire