“Average stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Ilkeston, United Kingdom
“Average stay”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family and i recently stayed for one night for a wedding at the beginning of June and hadnt booked a room prior to the day as the price was a liitle too high for me, but as i was part of the wedding party i decided on the morning that if a room was available i would consider it.
I asked at reception around 1pm and by 3.30pm i was offered a room as one had become available due to a cancellation, however i would have thought that it would have been less than the price i was originally quoted two months prior but no it cost £145 for the night.
We went to the room and was hit with a smell of freshly painted gloss work that had just dried and this is what started to make me think had it not been a cancellation that i was offered a room but more them checking if it was dry paint enough to let us pay the premium rate to maximise their profit.
However we stayed as it was my sisters wedding day as everything else was going so well.
My son and i used the swimming pool and spa complex and really enjoyed it on the saturday and again on the sunday after the amazing breakfast, far superior to many hotel breakfasts and well worth paying that little bit more for if your trying to decide whether the higher price for breakfast is worth it.
This is where things went a little wrong....the wedding breakfast was brilliant and well organised but we went into the evening function and guests started ariving and all seemed good until the power in the bar room went and the staff just sent guests two stairs down to the restaurant bar which had one staff member on it who was back and forth dealing with table guests and took a long while to be served, by this time our guests decided that they would stay there rather than keep coming back up and down even though there was four staff upstairs standing around instead of offering to get drinks for my sisters guests and bring them up.
By 2130 most people thought that everyone had left so it ended up just being a couple of family and friends in the dance room and my poor sister was left dancing by herself and even sent the DJ home at 2300 one hour early as no one was left.
On top of this the buffet which i might say was really nice had been cleared away by 2200 as they obviously saw no one there and thought probably not worth keeping out.
I feel sorry for my sister not only was it her wedding day but after mentioning to a member of staff in the morning after and heading for her honeymoon nothing had been said by him to other staff members and therefore two weeks down the line my sister now has to start the peocess again which could have helped other weddings since her day, and for myself i could have saved the money and got a taxi home as such an early finish.
Look forward to hearing back from breadsall.

Room Tip: Ask for the old part of the hotel as the new part is just standard travel lodge size if not smaller...
1 Thank Andrew L
Allayne B, Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you had a disappoiinting stay. I am currently working with the bride and groom to resolve the issues raised during the wedding.
Allayne Broom
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight on a dinner bed and breakfast deal. The facilities are nice enough, gardens well maintained (except for the one bush desperately needing pruning blocking our view of them from the room!)

The evening meal was very good quality but the portion sizes were ridiculously small. My starter of salmon ravioli was a single pasta on a spoon of lentils. The lobster starter equally tiny. More like canopies.

The mains were just as small. More like starter sized. The sea bream was excellent but I left the table hungry. Not impressive on a £45 a head bill

Also some concerns over the tempo bar. The only foods /drink we both had the same was the real ale in the bar and we both had upset stomachs 18 hours afterwards.

Probably would visit again. I expected better

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Allayne B, Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the food and beverage offered during your stay. I am normally so proud of the food and beverage standards. I hope we do better next time
Allayne Broom
Director of Operations
Buffalo,NY
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My family stayed here for two nights in June for a wedding, we live in the US so it made sense for my wife / daughter and I to stay here instead of travelling back and forth for reception / seeing people etc.
We had a reduced rate of 145 GBP a night for being in the wedding party which included breakfast ( apparently the normal rate doesn't include breakfast ), upon checking in the first thing I noticed is while the room was nice , for over $200 a night I've stayed at some hotels in the world with much nicer rooms for that cost.
First the good :
- Beautiful setting: This is actually the oldest Marriott hotel in the world, the building is beautiful and you can tell that it is rich in history, also the grounds are wonderfully maintained and it really is a wonderful place to take pictures.
- The food : We sampled the food for the wedding which was very impressive, I didn't get chance to eat at any of the restaurants on site, however my wife ordered a Pizza from the casual restaurant and said she was very impressed, another thing I noticed was that the breakfast they served was wonderful, lots of selection and certainly a cut above the normal hotel breakfast fare.
- The Service: As i'd mentioned we were there for a wedding and as I was in the wedding party I had a couple of requests that were honoured for me and a couple of staff members were very helpful.

Now the bad :
- The Rooms: As I mentioned before the rooms were a little on the small / basic side for what we paid, also the location of the rooms is going to play a big part in your stay, we were placed halfway through the hotel and while there is parking nearby your room if you want to walk from your room to the reception / meeting rooms its quite a hike, also there are lots of small steps up and down, it really can be quite tiring to get from your room to other parts of the hotel by walking.

-Internet : 15GBP a day for Internet and 6GBP an hour !!! Come on, in this day and age for what you're paying for the room and for how connected we all have to be nowadays to charge for internet is outrageous, especially as they provide it for free in the reception area.

- Parking : Parking can be a little bit of a premium and I would imagine that on full days when people are playing golf and the hotel is running at or near capacity Parking could be an issue and I would envision times you could either be parked very far away from your room, or even not find a place to park at all.

Overall I left Breadsall Priory with some positive feelings and a couple of negative feelings as well, however in its setting and location there really aren't many choices, and I would imagine if you're looking for a wedding location this would definitely be a worthy consideration !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Allayne B, Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Thank you for your review. It is always great to receive such detailed feedback as this means we get to really understand the guest experience.
Allayne Broom - Director of Operations
West Sussex
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at the Priory last weekend for 2 nights (13/14 June). All the staff were helpful and friendly and the food excellent. Our room was clean and comfortable but bathroom a bit tatty. We were put in the old farmhouse with a very disappointing view of the wall of the leisure complex.
My husband played golf on the Saturday and was very impressed with the course - would definitely like to play it again. Whilst he was playing golf I treated myself to some spa treatments - and it is here that I felt the experience was let down. Friendly staff but it just didn't come across as very luxurious surroundings. The room where I had one of my treatments was untidy, tatty and dirty (dust, dirt and hair around the edges of the room). I had planned to use the pool on the Saturday morning before I had my spa treatments but when I mentioned this at the time of booking my spa, was notified that the pool was used for swimming lessons on a Saturday morning (and although there would be a lane available) it would be very busy - which wasn't what I wanted/expected. I wasn't told this at the time of booking our accommodation.

We did enjoy our stay, the beautiful grounds etc but just came away feeling that maybe we'd paid a little too much for what we actually got.

Room Tip: Don't get one in the Farmhouse if you want a view!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Just come back from one night in Breadsall Priory and I have to say that the place is excellent.

The hotel's main building is beautiful and was set in lovely gardens which were well maintained. Check In was smooth and friendly though there was no offer to take bags to the room which would have been appreciated.

Rooms are well appointed, with king-size bed and large bathroom. Everything in the room worked as it should do. TV has a good selection of Channels and additional services.

We ate in the Priory restaurant and this too was an excellent experience. We booked a table in advance (recommended) and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. We had booked a room which contained a 3 course evening meal as part of our stay and were pleasantly surprised to find that we could order anything from the menu (except for cheese and biscuits) without incurring a supplement. The waitress was attentive and friendly.

Breakfast the following morning was excellent with plenty of choice. After this we checked out the indoor pool which was located to the rear of the property. The pool and it's associated changing facilities were clean and tidy so no faults there.

Overall this is lovely hotel in a great setting with great staff and customer service. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed for four nights, room very comfortable - soft pillows and plenty of them. Complimentary gown and slippers. Nice toiletries. TV complicated and cannot fault the quality and quantity of food! Two places to eat...downstairs restaurant, food faultless and service slow. Tempo bar, lively and noisy, good service and good, simple food. Beautiful location and (as a non-golfer) understand its a great course.

Room Tip: Around £12 by taxi so not central to Derby
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Karen R
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We held my daughter's wedding at this venue an amazing day .First of all the staff and wedding co-ordinator couldn't have been more obliging so helpful nothing was too much trouble.Obviously the setting was fabulous the rooms were immaculate and decorated beautifully. The chosen menu was perfectly cooked and served .We were treated so well by friendly efficient staff who were clearly well trained what a pleasure it was to be there.

3 Thank Denise3214
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
#2 of 15 in Chesterfield
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!