“Beautiful peaceful location” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful peaceful location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had stayed here once before, and decided to return for a short "get away from it all" break because of the beautiful location and peaceful atmosphere. The grounds are absolutely beautiful (see pictures), and I enjoyed wandering in the gardens or having a drink on the terrace. Although I don't play golf the two golf courses mean the hotel is surrounded by rolling grassland and trees. There is also a swimming pool and gym which I didn't have time to use on this occasion.

The hotel is easy to reach from the A61 near Derby, and is well placed for exploring Derbyshire, the Peak District, Chatsworth House, etc.

My room was in the "new" part of the hotel, as I think are most, so be aware of this and if you want a room in the old part you need to arrange this when booking. The room was very clean, modern and spacious, and had a lovely view over the golf course, but was quite a long way from the main part of the hotel, down many corridors. Unfortunately some noise seems to carry between rooms; I could hear footsteps of someone in the room overhead walking up and down (maybe ask for a top floor room), and some noise from children in the next room.

The public lounge, bar and restaurant are lovely elegant spaces. I ate in the Priory Restaurant one night and the food was good and the service helpful and polite. Breakfast was good, comprehensive hot and cold breakfast buffet with an egg/omelette chef on hand, good service and nice elegant environment.

In the bar I thought the service could be a bit more helpful. The bar staff don't seem to want to do table service, you have to go up to the bar, and I was asked to sign for each drink immediately, not allowed to open a tab or even to add a drink to my restaurant bill when I was dining there. This seems odd and could be reviewed to make it a bit more welcoming.

Overall a very nice hotel, beautiful grounds, peaceful environment and good facilities.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the old part of the hotel, need to arrange this when booking. In the new wing a...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our children treated my husband and I to afternoon tea and I really wish they had saved their money. On arrival we stood at an empty desk for at least ten minutes. Finally a very fed up looking waitress showed us into what I can only describe as a room with tables lacking any ambience or atmosphere, no gentle music playing in the background of a vase of flowers to be seen. We were served tea and coffee and then the 'a l a carte ' afternoon tea was served. And what an unappetising plate it looked too. The sandwiches had obviously just come out of a fridge/chiller as they were very very cold and felt hard. The ham and I use that term lightly was that of the formed plastic variety. The smoked salmon did make up for that though. Now where do I start with the cakes !! The scones were obviously bought from the local supermarket and were like sawdust and the mini chocolate eclair was from pack of frozen ones that can be purchased from any cash and carry. The chunk of ginger cake was stodgy and the slice of chocolate something was too sickly to eat .
The whole thing was not worth £5 a head never mind £12.95 a head.
Afternoon tea should consist of homemade delicate cakes pastries and sandwiches ..
No one came back to ask if we were ok or if we needed any more tea or coffee, as we only got one cup each ! And on leaving we couldn't find any staff to take our money and had to hunt around and eventually found someone in the bar !
Needless to say we will not be recommending or returning there.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ann E
janeJ6, PA to General Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory experience. Your detailed comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for actioning as it is never our intention to offer a less than first class service for our guests. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to show that we can do so much better.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here last night after visiting Bakewell and Chatsworth House. This hotel is the "oldest Marriott hotel in the world". Our stay was enjoyable and there are excellent facilities i.e. 2 x golf courses, golf shop, leisure centre with swimming pool, jacuzzi, Spa treatments, bars and restaurants.

The gardens and views are beautiful and we enjoyed the Nature Trail after dinner. Although I would recommend flat shoes as I was dragged along in sparkly gold wedges by my husband!

The rooms were clean and ours was a generous size, well decorated, having tea/coffee making facilities, TV and a good sized bathroom with bath and shower and toiletries. Our bed was a bit lumpy so could perhaps do with a change of mattress. We were in the Mews so had a separate courtyard and were apart from the main hotel rooms. The only thing that really bugged me about the room was the lack of free Wi-Fi. This cost £6 per hour or £15 per 24hr period. We didn't pay just walked around outside till we picked up a signal!

We didn't make use of the Helipad, unfortunately we left our helicopter in its hanger!!!!

We did have evening dinner in the Tempo bar, (less formal than the others). I had the beef ragu and chips and my husband had the fish, chips and mushy peas. They were both delicious but we felt a bit pricey. A couple near us did however have problems with availability of certain items on the menu with both food and wine.

The only downside to this bar was that I was made to feel a little uncomfortable by the looks I received from a couple of the lady golfers already having drinks as I walked out onto the terrace. This was uneccessary as I was dressed smartly for dinner. However they soon left for their ladies golfing do, hosted in a nearby room. But as my husband says (who is a keen golfer), that is the type of attitude that gives golf a bad reputation! Come on ladies at least I wasn't wearing golf shorts and T-shirt!!!!!

My husband didn't play golf here as we were only staying overnight, but walking round some of the course he felt it looked like 2 x parkland courses, suitable for average players and forgiving for stray shots!

We didn't have breakfast here (£15 per head) but headed off elsewhere. We noticed families also using the hotel as a base and we would return if in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank Wasessa
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was my first time staying here and I'm very happy to say it was excellent. Check in was smooth and the ladies were very friendly. I checked in on my phone and the room was ready by 11.30am!!

As a gold card member, breakfast was included in the restaurant. Nice décor and food.

Our room was in the nice farm house and close to the indoor pool. The room was very well decorated and romantic. We ate twice in the Tempo bar. Slightly overpriced, but was good quality and tasted fresh.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Martin R
Burton on Trent Derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Excellent Party, food & service so good that we didn't even notice that we were being served. Bar service was just as good ,no waiting. The Hotel was full even so the service was still first class with the golf days being well organized. Swimming pool well positioned for access. Other large functions were being carried out at the same time at other parts of the venue ,again not noticeable

Room Tip: Some rooms allocated had sitting room included
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We visited 27 July, the food was fine but the service did not match. Waitress did not know what cut of beef or pork was available, referring to 'a beef joint' when asked if it was rib or topside, pork was offered as 'leg of pork' when it was loin.
Slow service as had number of larger groups in other rooms. Wine ordered did not come until main course when it was meant to be for the starter. Disappointed, as this was a special occasion. Cannot get good trained staff these days?

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank danielle w
Allayne B, Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
I am very sorry we let you down. This is not our normal standard of service and I hope we do better next time
Allayne Broom
Director of Operations
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were fortunate enough to decide to hold our wedding reception at this hotel and it was the best decision that we ever made. From start to finish, the service has been professional, friendly and amazing. The staff are so warm and welcoming-EVERYONE who works here went out of their way to help us and make us feel special. The service is unparalleled to any hotel I have stayed in anywhere. The receptionists, cleaners, grounds people, waitresses, greet you with a smile and genuinely seem so happy to work here. They all made our stay so perfect.

Our wedding reception went seamlessly and completely exceeded our expectations. The wedding co-ordinators Katie and Kyle are an absolute credit to the place. They made us feel so valued and special. Even though Breadsall hosts many weddings each year; our wedding was still treated with lots of care and attention. In planning the wedding, communication was always quick and clear and any questions/emails answered immediately. They are also very accommodating and genuinely want to meet your needs. If you are thinking of booking a wedding or wedding reception here, please don't hesitate-just do it.

The hotel is a beautiful mix of old and new and has been very tastefully decorated. The bridal suite is stunning with lots of room to get ready on the morning of the wedding. Unfortunately, the room has no air con but the staff were kind enough to provide us with two fans. As it was a very warm stay in the recent gorgeous weather- air con and a mini bar really are necessities and I hope that they are installed soon. Lovely marble bathroom with a beautiful period window and the view from the room!!! Overlooking the stunning grounds and fountain- it was the most beautiful view that any bride could wish for. Wow! The grounds here just blow you away. They are spectacular and perfect for wedding photos.

My mum had a standard room and was again very impressed with the views overlooking a stunning garden. Her room was clean, well appointed and comfortable. We also had guests stay who commented on how comfortable their rooms were.

The breakfast was delicious and a lovely option of pastries, cereals, full English, omelettes if required -the works. All served in a lovely surrounding-faultless.

The Haslam room was set up beautifully for our reception. Kyle and his team worked so hard to make it look stunning. There were so many thoughtful little touches such as extra candles and a specially made desert by the chef-I am still overwhelmed at how perfect they made it. The food was delicious and all of our guests commented on how lovely it was. We couldn't have asked for more.

When we arrived back from our wedding to Breadsall for the reception...we were greeted by Katie and Kyle who wished us congratulations with a glass of champagne. It was just such a lovely touch and we didn't expect it. Thank you guys. These days it is rare to find people who do their jobs so well and care so much. They are so warm and personable...I can't say enough good things about them.

This place is a hidden gem and runs like clockwork. I am so pleased that we found it.
When you combine stunning surroundings with exceptional service and friendly staff, you have something to shout about. I can honestly say that this is a magical place and we will be back again and again in the future. When we left it was like saying goodbye to old friends. Thank you so much for making our wedding so beautiful.

Please don't hesitate to book this hotel for a wedding, golfing break, special occasion or just because it is in such a beautiful location. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 308 is a perfect bridal suite -very special for any bride.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SAMLEE50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
The Morley Hayes Hotel
Casa Hotel
Casa Hotel
#1 of 15 in Chesterfield
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,268 reviews

Been to Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!