“Great Hotel in Magnificent Setting”

Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay and we cannot speak highly enough about this lovely hotel.

The food and service were first class and we will definately be back in the not to distant future.

For golfers the courses are in great condition set in wonderful countryside.

All in all a real treat.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was so looking forward to staying here on a training course and thought it would be a relaxing stay in a beautiful location. The grounds are beautiful and building exquisite with lots of history to explore, the food it has to be said is very good in both the bar and restaurant and done very well. Unfortunately that's where the positives stop for me. Upon arrival the check in was far from smooth with a mix up over corporate booking and payment. I was given a key and no information about facilities, breakfast times, where to eat and not even where to find my room, I had to ask! There was no offer of a porter to take my luggage or even a suggestion to drive to the rear car park to easily access my room with luggage. The room was comfortable with two double beds and all the usual facilities, toiletries, tea and coffee making items and useful extras such as an ironing board and safe. The main issue with the room was a wifi problem at the time of my stay which meant I could only access the internet in the public areas...not very convenient. On the second day my key card and that of a few colleagues and other guests did not work and meant a return to reception several times, with an apology only after a request for one. Although following my suggestion of a free drink as compensation this was duly agreed. Other customer service issues included gossiping reception staff, an hour wait for food in the Tempo bar with the excuse that "there were lots of checks on" as well as inaccurate billing. I must comment though that the restaurant staff were quick and efficient in the evening, although not terribly friendly. Overall not the experience I was looking for and certainly not the level of service I would expect from a Marriott hotel. There are many simple and effective measures which could enable them to be so much better. Customer effort was certainly too high for me to want to stay again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Clearshell
janeJ6, PA to General Manager at Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

We were pleased that you that you enjoyed the beautiful setting of the hotel and its history along with the food offering. It was disappointing though that there were service issues and we can only apologise and advise that these will be dealt with as it is never our intention to offer a less that first class service. I do hope we will do better next time.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

If you stay at the Breadsall Priory and don't have the opportunity to enjoy the premises you won't be getting your monies worth. The hotel itself has a very nice aura but unfortunately that doesn't carry over the the rooms. I stayed in a suite where the room decor was outdated, not in a good way.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had stayed here once before, and decided to return for a short "get away from it all" break because of the beautiful location and peaceful atmosphere. The grounds are absolutely beautiful (see pictures), and I enjoyed wandering in the gardens or having a drink on the terrace. Although I don't play golf the two golf courses mean the hotel is surrounded by rolling grassland and trees. There is also a swimming pool and gym which I didn't have time to use on this occasion.

The hotel is easy to reach from the A61 near Derby, and is well placed for exploring Derbyshire, the Peak District, Chatsworth House, etc.

My room was in the "new" part of the hotel, as I think are most, so be aware of this and if you want a room in the old part you need to arrange this when booking. The room was very clean, modern and spacious, and had a lovely view over the golf course, but was quite a long way from the main part of the hotel, down many corridors. Unfortunately some noise seems to carry between rooms; I could hear footsteps of someone in the room overhead walking up and down (maybe ask for a top floor room), and some noise from children in the next room.

The public lounge, bar and restaurant are lovely elegant spaces. I ate in the Priory Restaurant one night and the food was good and the service helpful and polite. Breakfast was good, comprehensive hot and cold breakfast buffet with an egg/omelette chef on hand, good service and nice elegant environment.

In the bar I thought the service could be a bit more helpful. The bar staff don't seem to want to do table service, you have to go up to the bar, and I was asked to sign for each drink immediately, not allowed to open a tab or even to add a drink to my restaurant bill when I was dining there. This seems odd and could be reviewed to make it a bit more welcoming.

Overall a very nice hotel, beautiful grounds, peaceful environment and good facilities.

Room Tip: If you want to be in the old part of the hotel, need to arrange this when booking. In the new wing a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Our children treated my husband and I to afternoon tea and I really wish they had saved their money. On arrival we stood at an empty desk for at least ten minutes. Finally a very fed up looking waitress showed us into what I can only describe as a room with tables lacking any ambience or atmosphere, no gentle music playing in the background of a vase of flowers to be seen. We were served tea and coffee and then the 'a l a carte ' afternoon tea was served. And what an unappetising plate it looked too. The sandwiches had obviously just come out of a fridge/chiller as they were very very cold and felt hard. The ham and I use that term lightly was that of the formed plastic variety. The smoked salmon did make up for that though. Now where do I start with the cakes !! The scones were obviously bought from the local supermarket and were like sawdust and the mini chocolate eclair was from pack of frozen ones that can be purchased from any cash and carry. The chunk of ginger cake was stodgy and the slice of chocolate something was too sickly to eat .
The whole thing was not worth £5 a head never mind £12.95 a head.
Afternoon tea should consist of homemade delicate cakes pastries and sandwiches ..
No one came back to ask if we were ok or if we needed any more tea or coffee, as we only got one cup each ! And on leaving we couldn't find any staff to take our money and had to hunt around and eventually found someone in the bar !
Needless to say we will not be recommending or returning there.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ann E

Please accept our apologies for your less than satisfactory experience. Your detailed comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for actioning as it is never our intention to offer a less than first class service for our guests. We do hope that you will give us the opportunity to show that we can do so much better.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here last night after visiting Bakewell and Chatsworth House. This hotel is the "oldest Marriott hotel in the world". Our stay was enjoyable and there are excellent facilities i.e. 2 x golf courses, golf shop, leisure centre with swimming pool, jacuzzi, Spa treatments, bars and restaurants.

The gardens and views are beautiful and we enjoyed the Nature Trail after dinner. Although I would recommend flat shoes as I was dragged along in sparkly gold wedges by my husband!

The rooms were clean and ours was a generous size, well decorated, having tea/coffee making facilities, TV and a good sized bathroom with bath and shower and toiletries. Our bed was a bit lumpy so could perhaps do with a change of mattress. We were in the Mews so had a separate courtyard and were apart from the main hotel rooms. The only thing that really bugged me about the room was the lack of free Wi-Fi. This cost £6 per hour or £15 per 24hr period. We didn't pay just walked around outside till we picked up a signal!

We didn't make use of the Helipad, unfortunately we left our helicopter in its hanger!!!!

We did have evening dinner in the Tempo bar, (less formal than the others). I had the beef ragu and chips and my husband had the fish, chips and mushy peas. They were both delicious but we felt a bit pricey. A couple near us did however have problems with availability of certain items on the menu with both food and wine.

The only downside to this bar was that I was made to feel a little uncomfortable by the looks I received from a couple of the lady golfers already having drinks as I walked out onto the terrace. This was uneccessary as I was dressed smartly for dinner. However they soon left for their ladies golfing do, hosted in a nearby room. But as my husband says (who is a keen golfer), that is the type of attitude that gives golf a bad reputation! Come on ladies at least I wasn't wearing golf shorts and T-shirt!!!!!

My husband didn't play golf here as we were only staying overnight, but walking round some of the course he felt it looked like 2 x parkland courses, suitable for average players and forgiving for stray shots!

We didn't have breakfast here (£15 per head) but headed off elsewhere. We noticed families also using the hotel as a base and we would return if in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wasessa
Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was my first time staying here and I'm very happy to say it was excellent. Check in was smooth and the ladies were very friendly. I checked in on my phone and the room was ready by 11.30am!!

As a gold card member, breakfast was included in the restaurant. Nice décor and food.

Our room was in the nice farm house and close to the indoor pool. The room was very well decorated and romantic. We ate twice in the Tempo bar. Slightly overpriced, but was good quality and tasted fresh.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martin R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
#1 of 1 in Brimington
Peak Edge Hotel
Peak Edge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stonedge

Been to Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!