“A nice hotel for a weekend away”

The Morley Hayes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Morley
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“A nice hotel for a weekend away”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend as attending family wedding at a hotel near by.
On arrival receptionist very welcoming and allocated us a room on the lower ground floor. On viewing the room I was dissapointed as I was expecting a view of the golf course, not of shrubs and mud! We asked if we could be allocated another room with a better view which the receptionist duly did.
The rooms are very nicely decorated, large comfortable bed (although zip and link). Sofa bed, large desk, table and chairs to sit and lookout from the room at the view. Bathrooms nice and clean and new.
We ate in the Rooster bar which was very nice , average pub prices. It was very busy with locals which is always a good sign.
Breakfast was very good a little less so on the secound morning. The Derbyshire full breakfast was very nice however on the secound day it was missing items and dried up a little. I think this was due to a large group being served and it being later in the morning.
The hotel is in a good location with golf on your doorstep and lots of local attractions close by, we visited Alton Towers before arriving at hotel and on our departure made our way to the museum of childhood which also was not far away.
Reception were very helpful with travel directions and booking a taxi to take us to our wedding. However the taxi company they use was not very good we got lost! and they go at silly speeds down country roads.
I would recommend this hotel, it is in a good location with lovely comfortable rooms and a good hearty breakfast and a nice pub and restraunt next door.
Tip:-No cash machine near by.
Overall we had a lovely weekend away enjoy local attractions and attending a family wedding.

Room Tip: Lower ground floor have patio and furniture ,but no view Ground floor have doors which open, but no...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mrsking21
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for writing the review following your stay here at Morley Hayes.I am sorry to hear about the mix up with breakfast. All breakfasts are freshly cooked to order and i can only assume a mix up between the ordering and kitchen occured. i am delighted you had a great time overall. Just for future reference we now do cash back in all our bars and restaurants.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Having had a meal at the Dovecote yesterday I will be strongly considering whether or not to visit again. The family have had excellent meals there in the past but the overall experience yesterday was disappointing. Whilst we were treated to nice food and excellent waiting on staff at the table, the front of house/sommelier? let the whole experience down. When members of the family asked him different questions, his answers were non-committal and unhelpful. I would also suggest that his attitude was bordering on rude and certainly arrogant.
Having dined in a two Rosetee restaurant last week all I can say is what a void of difference or rather in the Dovecotes case indifference.
In summary good food and excellent table service, but when first impressions leave lasting impressions, ours is a bit sour.

2 Thank Matt9898
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Thank you for your time in submitting a review following your visit to The Dovecote Restaurant here at Morley Hayes. I apologise if our manager appeared unhelpful. We do endeavour to give clear and accurate answers to any questions asked but we appear to have failed on this occasion. It is Morley Hayes's policy to maintain and continue staff training so I can assure you that your comments will be addressed. I do hope that this isolated incident will not prevent you from visiting us again in the near future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

For my mothers 80th birthday meal we booked the Board room at The Morley Hayes Hotel and it was the perfect choice for our family and friends. We were a party of 14 ranging from 4 - 82 years old and couldn't have received better service nor a nicer meal. the Board room meant we were in our own room but still part of the restuarnat for the atmosphere. The staff were polite, helpful and discreet, the food was interesting, beautifully prepared and presented, in just the right portion sizes and it made my mothers 80 th birthday memorable for all the right reasons and we would definately recommend The Morley Hotel for quality of food, service and value for money.

1 Thank Jacqui P
Thank you for posting the great review of your mothers 80th Birthday celebration. It is very good to hear you all enjoyed the day. Our very best wishes to your mother.
Leicestershire
Reviewed 10 May 2012

I organised an event for our talented management population at a one of our sites near Ilkeston and we arranged our group dinner and overnight stay at Morley Hayes on Tuesday 8th May 2012. It was the first time I have used the hotel. We had a fantastic evening; the service, food, restaurant and overnight accommodation was excellent. I arrange 8 such events each year and I have to say that Morley Hayes was certainly one of my best experiences. I will certainly use the hotel and restaurant again and recommend to my colleagues.

We had the centre section of the Dovecote restaurant reserved for our private dinner for 23 guests and it was really beautiful. The table had been set with flowers and candles and the service was excellent. The staff had taken the time to check where each guest was sitting so that their pre-ordered dinner choices could be served without shouting out round the table - a refreshing change.

The area for pre-dinner drinks was also lovely, small enough to be personable with a good atmosphere, with excellent friendly service from the staff.

With regard to the bedrooms, all my guests commented on how lovely they were, with great views over the golf course. The sunny evening helped and our guests very much appreciated opening their curtains in the morning to the beautiful view.

My requirements were followed exactly with regard to timing, invoicing, paying for drinks etc. There is nothing I would change.

We have received excellent feedback from our participants.

Thank you to all those involved at Morley Hayes.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, 11 May 2012
We are delighted you had a great time. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future. Thank you for your time in submitting your review, it is greatly appreciated.
Derby
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We had our wedding at Morley Hayes on 4th May and had the most wonderful experience. The staff cannot be faulted at all, the facilities are excellent, the food delicious, the hospitality second to none. The entire experience has been one of constant surprise and pleasure. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble for the staff and our every need was not only catered for, but it seeemd like it was planned for in advance. The planning stage was a breeze, and suggestions made that we had not previously considered. Everytime we rang up we were greeted and dealt with by such friendly, courteous and helpful staff. On the day before, a number of our guests had arrived and there were no tables available in the Roosters bar for us to sit together, so a table was quickly made up in the next room, without us even having to ask. On the actual day, we were made to feel like the whole world had stopped just to accommodate our every need, from the very wonderful Master of ceremonies, who effortlessly transported us through the day, corralling our guests into the right location at the right time and overseeing every small detail to perfection, from placing our bouquets into water to keep them fresh, and thus creating extra table decorations, to ensuring the vegetarians knew where to find their end of evening butties! We stayed in the Bateman Suite, which was beautiful with a large, sublimely comfortable 4-poster bed, invigorating shower and some welcome toiletries which we had forgotten to bring! Breakfast was delicious and bountiful. Oh, what else can I say?! It was a truly wonderful experience! I have also since been told that it was Andrew, the owner who acted as usher, although I didn't know that at the time! Just such a brilliant day. In short, we love it at Morley Hayes and can't imagine our wedding could have been held anywhere else!

Room Tip: From what I have seen, they are all good rooms.
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of your wedding and stay here at Morley Hayes. It was a lovely day and a pleasure looking after you and your guests.
Our very best wishes for your future happiness together.
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I stayed and played at Celtic manor the week before and i feared that it would be to much of a drop in standards coming to somewhere like Morley Hayes, my fears were soon forgotten as my playing partners and me arrived we were greeted by some of the most friendly and helpful people that i have met for a long time, i soon felt like we had all been long term friends and members at the hotel. From getting the keys to my buggy to checking out the following day every thing was a breeze and noting was to much trouble. The hotel is not the biggest i have stayed at but that's not to say its not one of the best. The evening meal will take some beating as the steak was without a doubt the BEST I HAVE EVER HAD. The course is very open but still a good challenge and can only get better with age.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Andrew04, Owner at The Morley Hayes Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Thank you so much for your time to write such a lovely report. I have printed it off and stuck it on the staff notice board. They are all delighted you enjoyed your visit. The steaks are all sourced from Derbyshire farms so we can be sure they of good quality. The hotel is 32 rooms at the moment but hopefully may grow in the future. Hope you have a great golfing season
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This was my third visit to Morley Hayes and once again everything was excellent. The condition of the rooms, both bedrooms and the public facilities cannot be faulted and I would visit again. The staff and the food are 1st class. The golf course is improving each year and challenging.
On a lovely Summer day no where is better with lots of outside seating.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Delighted you enjoyed your stay! Lets hope we get plenty of sunny days to enjoy the beautiful golf courses
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morley
Breadsall Priory Marriott Hotel & Country Club
pentahotel Derby
pentahotel Derby
#4 of 29 in Derby
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,516 reviews
Premier Inn Derby City Centre (Cathedral Quarter)

Been to The Morley Hayes Hotel? Share your experiences!