We'd planned to stay at The George at Chollerford which we both remembered as a top class hotel from visits several decades ago. Reviews suggested that would be a mistake!
Battlesteads looked, and was, a better option.
However, this was the most expensive room rate we paid on our touring holiday and it was the poorest value for money. Why? Not just the excellent online deals we found elsewhere.
On checking in the reception desk was unmanned and rather untidy leading off a corridor along from the bar and toilets. After walking towards the bar we were greeted by a young lady who seemed a little unfamiliar with the niceties of top class reception. It was great to be shown up to the room, but the key had been forgotten. We booked to dine only 30 minutes later and the same girl greeted us in the dining room and asked if we were guests! Dining room service was ordinary and the food was average for the price.
When a squeezy bottle of table cleaning liquid with cloth was left in the middle of a neighbouring table for about 5 minutes I made a mental note. When the same thing happened at breakfast I make a note here!
Yes, it's a nice hotel. The decor downstairs was a little dark, but not a problem. The information about local places of interest was very good. No mobile phone signal in Wark, but the free hotel wifi was excellent in our room. The bath in our room was not designed for those with broad shoulders.
My impression was of a hotel that may be getting just too carried away by the excellent reviews. Some little details are not up to the star ratings being afforded.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally built as a farmstead in 1747, Battlesteads has recently been converted into a comfortable Northumbrian Inn and Restaurant complete with secret walled garden and sunny conservatory. The 22 rooms are all en-suite with colour TV, hairdryers and ironing facilities. The restaurant features mouth-watering home cooked dishes using top quality, locally sourced produce. An ideal base for exploring Hadrian's Wall country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Battlesteads Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Battlesteads Hotel Hexham
- Battlesteads Hotel Wark, Northumberland