“Birthday Treat”

Battlesteads Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wark
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Stayed here last night with my Husband as a treat for my Birthday and had a wonderful experience. There was a warm welcome from the moment we stepped through the door, the log fire was blazing in the bar and locals and residents were having a drink in the company of their pet dogs. We were shown to our room and found that we had been upgraded from a double to a suite which was a very unexpected surprise. The hotel was quiet as expected this time of year but the staff were still very attentive. There was a good selection of beverages in the room, fresh fruit & biscuits. Lovely thick fluffy towels in the bathroom along with organic toiletries and a most pleasing Jacuzzi. The bed was very comfortable and the room was well furnished and lovely and warm as the temperature outside had dropped. Staff explained how all the amenities worked and also advised us that mobiles can't be used as there is no signal in Wark but we could use the landline for a small cost. There is free Wifi throughout the building plus a laptop for customers to use in the bar. Our evening meal did not dissappoint with plenty of choice and delicious canapes to whet our appetite. I had scallops with home made black pudding as a starter then confit of duck leg with peas and mash followed by mixed berry pavlova all washed down by a good house red. My Husband had mixed smoked meats, cheese & fish as a starter then confit of belly pork followed by strawberry cheesecake. We awoke to a Winter Wonderland this morning as everywhere was covered in frost outside but the sun was shining. After a hearty Full English breakfast in the conservatory looking out into the garden which is alive with little birds attacking the numerous feeders and fat balls etc, we checked out at 10am having had a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

2  Thank linda c
Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed 25 November 2012

This hotel lived up to my expectations having read other reviews. Staff very friendly and helpful. Shown to room on arrival and advised re amenities in room. Extra touches in rooms such as home made biscuits, fresh fruit and beautiful toiletries. The room was comfortable and well decorated.
Our evening meal was a little disappointing, we both had the Northumbrian ribeye steak both requesting medium done, mine came out rare as it was a thicker cut than my partners. The fries were cold and both had to go back, promptly reappearing having been nuked. We also had to experience the tables around us being set out for breakfast while we were still seated. However breakfast was excellent and again staff were friendly and polite. Maybe we both chose badly the night before and the resturant did appear very busy, so may have been having a bad night. It will not stop us returning or recommending it

2  Thank AnneMiltonKeynes
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I come here to try and catch some fish from the North Tyne every year, and as my usual lodgings nearby were out of action, this was a convenient spot to stay near the river. As it happens, the fish let me down, but the Battlesteads did not.

There was the usual naturally-friendly attitude you get in England north of the Tees, combined with real good value in the accommodation and a menu that sticks to its chef's strengths. The Battlesteads is unaffected and straightforward: its bar area doubles as the hotel lounge, with newspapers and maps; free wifi; and a big wood-burner (though a big black tom had nabbed the settee right next to it before me, and was fast asleep on it. I left him to it).
Wark is an attractive village in pretty countryside, with lots to do nearby - the hotel was fairly full, I thought, for late October, even outside the half-term.

Maybe these people had come for the food? Not surprising if they did. (There were some well kept ales in the bar to try out first). A day on the river gives you a big appetite, so hopefully I did not lose what little sense of discrimination I have left when I sat down to eat. But my overall impression was that this place provides great value for dinner and B&B: the smoked platter and the "lamb 3 ways" being real stars, as well as cream of haggis soup (yes, believe it) and the ice cream menu (I had to email my son the options). Breakfast has plenty of choice, and is freshly prepared with good quality ingredients. For breakfast especially, I liked the conservatory area at the back - it overlooks a pleasant courtyard garden.

The rooms are not super de-luxe - it's an old pub, made out of some knocked-through cottages, so don't expect Downton Abbey. But there was everything I wanted, including an en-suite bathroom with loads of hot water (the deep chill imparted by the Tyne needed the deep heat of Radox by 7 pm). On checking out, I was in the unusual position of asking them to check the bill because it looked too low - I thought they'd missed some drinks off it - no, they hadn't. Recommended!

Room Tip: If you need to get to sleep early, ask for a room away from the illuminated inn sign at the front.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank rudyrude
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We stayed here for just one night & it was fab. Having moved from a dreadful hotel in Newcastle we were hoping this would be better & we were not disappointed. The room was spacious. There was a welcoming bowl of fruit & home made biscuits as well as the usual tea, coffee, hot choc. Mineral water available if requested. This hotel has won awards for being environmentally friendly. They do a great job but the hotel does not compromise the guests stay in any way. The en-suite was a good sixe with a full size bath & shower & complimentary green tioletries with a yummy orange blossom smell. There was a fair bit of mould round the bathroom windows & wall which was a shame but that was the only thing slightly off. The best thing for me was the food. Our deal came with dinner & wine. We were presented with canapes whilst waiting for our starters of beautiful local scallops & homemade black pudding & apple puree. Followed by a fillet steak [local beef supplier] topped with blue cheese & accompanied with roast veg which was amazing. My husband opted for chicken fajitas served in what reminded me of a cupcake stand. Amazing presentation & again locally sourced. We finished our meal with local sorbets which were divine. We swapped our champagne deal for red wine & had a nice selection to choose from. I loved the food, presentation & service. Was advised by other gusets this was listed as a good Camra [real ale] pub? Back in the lounge we relaxed in leather couched in front of a wood burning stove reading books about local chefs & recipies of the area. Just loved this place & with the addition of the hotel cat Milroy who plonked himself on my hubbies knee & settled down for an hour it just made the stay even better. Lovely old village country feel but with an environmental ethical ethos added in. Well done to the owners. Well worth a visit & great for visits to Hadrians Wall sites & Beamish heritage site.

1  Thank DebbienGlasgow
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This is a very fine place to stay; excellence of accommodation and food. Battlesteads is beautifully and conveniently located in this fine part of the world. We stayed in the Chipchase Room which has great views, and a whirlpool bath to sooth away the strains of the day. Menus were brought to us in the bar, and we were escorted into the restaurant which either has interior seating or under the conservatory. The meals were simply excellent and beautifully presented by efficient service. Breakfast was expansive, and we both enjoyed the special of a smoked haddock omelette. We left feeling refreshed and happy.

Room Tip: Ask for the Chipchase Room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 25 October 2012

In late August, we decided to visit Hexham and Hadrian's Wall while traveling between Glasgow and Edinburgh. We left the Vindolanda Museum and managed to get lost. By late afternoon we were very hungry and so we stopped at Battlesteads Hotel to get a bite to eat. When we walked into the bar we were told that the restaurant wouldn't open for another hour or. The owner took pity on us and told us, and said, never mind, sit down in the beautiful dining room and she'd make something for us. What came out of the kitchen was a delightful array of sandwiches, beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. To top it off, the owner offered us some of her award winning desserts. I especially liked the Sticky Pudding.

This was a wonderful stop. Well worth it. We might just come back someday when we can hike along the Wall.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My family and I stayed here with our friends on the return journey from a family holiday down south. We booked the hotel on the basis of previous tripadvisor comments. Unfortunately we did not arrive in the hotel until late in the evening but after contacting their staff they kept the restaurant open until we arrived. To allow the chef to get home we only ordered mains but the food quality was exceptional. The staff on arrival were great and although we arrived late in the evening we still managed to have a very enoyable night (Peroni on draft certanly helped). Our only regret was that we didn't arrive earlier and have the opportunity to enjoy their fabulous a la carte menu. The options for breakfast were fantastic and although this is a little off the beat and track I would highly recommend this hotel and would hope to return here in the near future

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wark
Langley Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford
Eshott Hall
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott

Been to Battlesteads Hotel? Share your experiences!