“Relaxing stay with the bonus of 'going green'”
Review of Battlesteads Hotel

Battlesteads Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wark
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brighton
“Relaxing stay with the bonus of 'going green'”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

There is so much to recommend this hotel and restaurant and much of it is to do with the values with which it is run. It is in a beautiful 18th century building made out of a farmhouse and its out-houses knocked together and in pretty part of the country in Wark in the South Tyne valley. But what distinguishes it from all the other pretty country hotels and pubs is the effort being made to reduce food miles, use home grown food, heat the building using carbon neutral bio-mass heating and encourage everyone to do their bit for recycling, red squirrel conservation and lots more. We loved our impromptu tour of the poly-tunnels and kitchen garden out the back and even the biomass burner and propagation rooms. Inside the hotel the room itself was comfortable and the owner friendly and welcoming. The mattress on the bed let the room down and needed replacing and you had to keep the window closed at night as the road can get noisy from about 6am - cars don't seem to slow down as they pass through the village. The staff were friendly and attentive but did make some mistakes like neglecting to check our breakfast order the night before when they need notice for vegetarian sausges to be defrosted. The food in the restaurant was definitely value-for-money and delicious, and last but not least, the wine list and beer selection was very well chosen, including a great English wine.

Room Tip: If you can, take a room away from the road at the back of the building.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We have just returned after a 2 night stay which included their 7 course taster menu. What a treat! The stay was a complete delight. Everything, from the comfortable room, wonderfully helpful waitresses, delicious food to the generally welcoming ambiance combined to make it a memorable stay.
Although there isn't a great deal to do in the immediate vicinity it is only a short drive to Hadrian's Wall, Kielder or Corbridge, as well as countless walks. We will certainly be returning!!

Northallerton
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A Travelzoo offer brought us to this location and hotel for a night away and we were delighted with the deal. We were also grateful they allowed us to change the date of our stay at short notice due to family ill health.
The 7 course taster menu (with great £25 pp wine flight accompanying) was absolutely fantastic with lots of lovely flavours and local ingredients, especially the unusual cheeses. Good choice of real ales and even a local gin too. Welcoming cosy bar with wood burning stove, books and papers. Very relaxing and warm with true eco-friendly credentials eg biomass boiler heating. Wonderful big breakfast with everything imaginable served by friendly waitresses in the conservatory - all hot and freshly cooked. Very nice smoked fish and eggs. Great selection of fresh fruits, yogurt and jams. Can't fault the food at all and full compliments to the chef and team here.
Our room was well above expectations and very individual, comfortable and with modern furnishing touches. Nice extras like 2 home made biscs, real coffee sachets and fresh fruit platter. Bathroom on the small side and rather caravan like panelling but adequate and had a nice hot bath/shower.
Good location for walks from the doorstep, nearby visits to Roman forts/wall. Hexham, Corbridge and Kielder forest - all of which we thoroughly enjoyed and we wished we'd booked another night as so much to see and active leisure. It's an excellent base and a real change from the big hotels with no character. This place oozes a real warm personal welcome, excellent customer care, fantastic food and drink - and is a real breath of fresh air. We'll be back.

Room Tip: Room 7 at back was very good, and we didn't see any others or given a selection. Surely you ta...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ponteland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is a hotel I've been meaning to visit since the restaurant was recommended to me last year by a friend so when it appeared on Travelzoo we didn't even have to drive home!
The position is good near the centre of Wark and quite close to the Keilder Water and forest. Good base for either sightseeing or walking in Northumberland
The bed room was a little on the small side but well decorated and very clean throughout. The bathroom was good with modern fittings and a shower over the bath. Nice touches such as fresh fruit in the bedroom sets this hotel apart from the normal 3*
The bar and lounge area is very cosy with nice leather seats and very old world feel. All the public areas were very well kept and the owners are obviously very keen to maintain a high standard.
The package we were on had a 7 course tasting menu for dinner and breakfast which were both really good and well worth my friends recommendation. this was one of the better tasting menus I have had in terms of quality and I didn't come out feeling hungry as sometimes happens!
Breakfast was very good and was served and not a buffet job.
All the staff were really pleasant and went out of their way to make sure everything was right.
Definitely a cut above your normal 3* and worth with a stay. Going back to try their normal menu soon!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are on the main road and can be a little noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
geordie land
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

My sister kindly gave us a voucher for the 7 course taster menu for Christmas. My husband then decided to treat me to a night at the hotel for my birthday too. The pub was very cosy and Katie in the bar made us very welcome. We arrived a little early so decided to have lunch while the room was being prepared. There was a good selection of real ales for my husband. I had a delicious cheese and chutney sandwich in beautiful brown bread which arrived on a slate with a few crisps and salad garnish which could have used some dressing. My husband had the ploughmans at almost twice the price which sadly was one of the poorest we have ever had and I had to share my sandwich or he would have been hungry.
Our room was spotless, cosy and comfortable with quality bedding and lovely fluffy white towels. Pure Lake toiletries were provided, something I've not come across before but will look for now, lovely.

The 7 course taster menu:
Menu states "Canapes" so it is difficult not to be disappointed when presented with a tiny little bitesize fishcake that could have used more seasoning with a splodge of tatre sauce and tasteless beetroot reduction.
I would have expected at least 2 and hopefully 3.
The main course, we went for the mini shepherds pie and pink lamb chop. I asked for mine to be very well cooked and it was but still tender and not dry. The only accompanyment was a piece of broccoli which neither of us like, would have liked a couple of veg and some potato.
There was a trio of lovely deserts followed by a good cheeseboard with insufficient crackers for the amount of cheese.
The wine package which accompanied the meal was worth the £25 and very good.
Just a few adjustments would make a big difference.

The information sheet in the room stated breakfast started at 7.30 am. We went at 7.45 but the buffet was not set up. Apparently there was a breakdown in communication and the 2 girls serving weren't sure what time it was supposed to start. We were entertained while waiting by all the birds in the walled garden and were in no hurry but I did feel sorry for the girls. About 8.15 the buffet was ready and there was a good selection. We had the Northumbrian Platter which was faultless, good quality produce.

We enjoyed our stay and meals and would have given 5 stars but believe the hotel is over priced as are the bar prices. We have stayed in similar places for £75 a night so that is quite a difference.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We found Battlesteads by accident when staying previously in Wark in late summer and was so taken by its gardens and environmental ethics we vowed to return, so to find the deal on Travel Zoo which included the 7 course taster menu made it a must.... What made the trip was the attention to detail by the owners and staff, our dog had his own pack including blankets, towels and treats, he was welcome in the bar and every meal we had a table just outside the main restaurant where he could join us. I had mentioned in my original booking that I had a food intolerance and was astounded to find that the chef had already been informed and all through our stay I was given a fabulous substitute. Other great touches were that there was fresh fruit in the room, home made fudge nibbles on the first night and some stunning home made marmalade's for breakfast - including the "wake up marmalade" (a kick of chilli) and "lemon and lavender" - I wish now I had bought some to bring home... The highlight of the trip was the taster menu - but overshadowing the food was the amazing wine tasting menu which included a (forgive me for sounding snobby) BRITISH wine .... we were so glad we opted for this as each course was perfectly matched - even the Bacchus Reserve from Kent which was outstanding and easily outshone the Sancerre it replaced.

Downsides - the coffee needs upgrading to a machine for a decent latte/cappuccino - I understand the ideology for Fair Trade but there is a real need for something better also some fruit tea in the room would be lovely. Having the dog with us just outside the main restaurant was great but we were facing a table full of cleaning products and general condiments a small price to pay I suppose but I did note that there was an additional room adjacent where these items could have been stored. A small price to pay though and I suppose I am being picky as there was so little to complain about.

The staff were fantastic - the Rumanian lady who served us on the first night was especially attentive and together with the barman made us feel really special.

All in all - I would urge anyone who went on the deal to go again in summer as the gardens really come to life.

Room Tip: Room 11 - faced the road so had a little noise but was dog friendly and a good size.
York
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed at the Battleshead Hotel for a week I'm in a wheelchair the facilities were first class they have two bespoke disabled rooms.
The hotel has won so many awards especially for eco friendly attitude but I want to give an award for the food it was superb I don't know why it doesn't have Michellin star award they have poly tunnels out of site in which they grow herbs and veg for the restaurant yummy!
We will be back again every year it will feature on one our regular places to visit strongly recommend people book if you want comfort good food and friendly efficient service ****

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wark
Langley Castle Hotel
Eshott Hall
#1 of 1 in Eshott
Best Western Beaumont Hotel
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club

Been to Battlesteads Hotel? Share your experiences!