There is so much to recommend this hotel and restaurant and much of it is to do with the values with which it is run. It is in a beautiful 18th century building made out of a farmhouse and its out-houses knocked together and in pretty part of the country in Wark in the South Tyne valley. But what distinguishes it from all the other pretty country hotels and pubs is the effort being made to reduce food miles, use home grown food, heat the building using carbon neutral bio-mass heating and encourage everyone to do their bit for recycling, red squirrel conservation and lots more. We loved our impromptu tour of the poly-tunnels and kitchen garden out the back and even the biomass burner and propagation rooms. Inside the hotel the room itself was comfortable and the owner friendly and welcoming. The mattress on the bed let the room down and needed replacing and you had to keep the window closed at night as the road can get noisy from about 6am - cars don't seem to slow down as they pass through the village. The staff were friendly and attentive but did make some mistakes like neglecting to check our breakfast order the night before when they need notice for vegetarian sausges to be defrosted. The food in the restaurant was definitely value-for-money and delicious, and last but not least, the wine list and beer selection was very well chosen, including a great English wine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Originally built as a farmstead in 1747, Battlesteads has recently been converted into a comfortable Northumbrian Inn and Restaurant complete with secret walled garden and sunny conservatory. The 22 rooms are all en-suite with colour TV, hairdryers and ironing facilities. The restaurant features mouth-watering home cooked dishes using top quality, locally sourced produce. An ideal base for exploring Hadrian's Wall country. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your Battlesteads Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Battlesteads Hotel Hexham
- Battlesteads Hotel Wark, Northumberland