“Pictures are greater than words”
Review of Yadis Oasis Kebili

Yadis Oasis Kebili
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kebili
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
“Pictures are greater than words”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

While on a 2 day Sahara trip with Tunisian Travel Service, the over night stay at this hotel is not recommended but unavoidable as this is the place they use. After a long coach drive getting to this hotel the dinner was limited and not very appetising.
our room was dirty with fly's in the bath the air-conditioning did not work and the worse thing was being woken up getting bitten by ants and crawling over the bed, and covered over the wall over the head board. very sleepless night and knowing we were being woken up at 04:00 to carry on our trip. breakfast much the same very poor. service and staff had no care in complaints.

Room Tip: my tip would be stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jwlore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed 1 night at this hotel as it was part of the 2 day Sahara trip with Sahara Explorer. My 2 day Sahara trip was brilliant but staying at this hotel is not recommended.
Very Poor service, awful breakfast and dinner, many staff couldn't speak English (luckily I could speak a bit of Arabic to get by) and loud music at night causing many of us having sleepness nights. The plus side is that rooms were actually clean although pretty basic. The reception guy tried his best to be friendly but I think many of us had communication problems with him. Just lucky that we had only 1 night here as we left the hotel 5.15am to go to Chott El-Jerid.
Sahara Explorer need to find a better hotel accommodation for their 2 day Sahara Excursion otherwise
Verdict: Don't waste your time with this hotel - very poor all round

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TopKingofKings

Travellers are raving about these Kebili hotels

Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

OK, where to start? This was our second visit to this hotel and I must remember not to stay there again! Our first experience was fine from what I remember with it being reasonably quiet (July) and I am sure they (kindly) upgraded us to a larger room because we were staying there as part of our post marridge travels. I remember the food being basic compared to other hotels in places such as Hammemet and Sousse. The room was fine (clean) but was basic and dated.

Anyhow this time we were visiting nearby Douz for the festival - hard to find accommodation in Douz so resulted in last minute booking a room for two nights at Yadis Oasis. It was to be a special couple of days - Christmas day and boxing day and having spent 107 pounds / 287 TDN for two nights (two people, half board), I expected a pleasent stay. Unfortunatly for us and many guests there it was not at all pleasent.

Upon checking in, we were left while the reception staff delt with a large tour group that came in AFTER US! Then one staff member asked my husband if I was his wife (I am not Tunisian but he is, so I understand from this he was checking if I am 'legal'....) - cheeky man!

Room - again basic, seeming no renevation since the 80s or 90s when it was built. Fraying/stained towels, no bath mat, no individual soaps, shower gels.. - just dispensors on the walls, stained blankets, only one blanket (winter), no double beds in the hotel (only twin beds put together and individually made up. Very cold! Heating had not been put on and we couldn't get it to work. No remote for TV.

We complained and moved rooms. Second room slightly better and heating worked but did not make the room very warm.

Our restaurant 'experience' sounds like that of other reviewers - gosh I wish I had read reviews before booking! Too few staff - actually I could count the staff on the floor' on one hand and poor organisation.Really cold too!

Many guests, too few tables, tables not being cleared before more people coming in, We had to share a table with another couple on the first night, it was then left uncleared as with the rest of the room for a long time. Food was fair but not 'good / great' and many people had to ask for things like plates, cutlery, wait / catch a waiter to order a drink! Food - self serve areas were not kept tidy / clean.

Breakfast was worce. This is where it really felt like a matter of survival, having to ask for things all the time like cups and spoons and sugar.... The choice of food was poor and quite honestly embarrasing for such a hotel. Both during dinner and breakfast times guests were complaining and despite the staff trying hard to react to requests they couldn't cope and had not the organisation / preparation to deliver an eating service.

Bar area / lounge is the only communal area and seemed a bit 'rough'.... Where were all the tourists? Also wher are the female staff if they have any?

When we left the reception staff did not ask us how our stay was....

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank natalie035
Celle, Germany
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed a couple of nights there and enjoyed a quiet and clean room.
But, the breakfast was awful! Sour milk, cold coffee, old bread - what else can you ask for?
And, the day I wanted to check out, I had to pay for a taxi to get cash for the costs of the hotel!
No credit cards accepted!
When I tried to speak to the manager about it, he did not understand any english!!!
So, be careful and carry enough cash around with you.It is difficult to book any excursions without speaking french!
Good luck.

Room Tip: Take a room on the first floor, because there is no lift for luggage.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

This is my third stay at this hotel as we have family that live nearby. We stayed for 2 nights (myself with my husband and our baby). The rooms are basic yet adequate. The restaurant, food and service are dire. We were the only ones at breakfast as the others that stay in this hotel are on the Sahara tour and leave in the early hours of the morning. Breakfast was an egg, halwa which is a Tunisian pasty kind of breakfast food, topped off with stale bread and bitter coffee. Dinner was not much better, however there was a better atmosphere as the Sahara tour buses were there for the night. It is buffet service with soup to start, the soup was Tunisian Hsou which was lovely the downfall was it ran low so we just had a small scoopful and it was not replenished. The rest of the food was Tunisian dishes which were ok but didn't appear particularly fresh. As for the bar in this hotel, forget it. It's barely ever open, when it is the bar man charges what he feels like. I don't understand why the receptionist or even security are unable to serve at the bar as the hotel is far from busy and bar is next to reception. Baring in mind there is no where to walk to to buy a drink outside! So I feel this is unacceptable especially considering the hot climates. This hotel is convenient for us as I said we have family in the area but in future we will stay in Douz as there are better hotels and we are prepared to be that little further away to get what we pay for.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Our 3rd visit to his hotel due to visiting family. As this s the only hotel in Kebili we have no choice.

The service deteriorates each time, although, what service?? We stayed half board, but ay as well have had room only due to the extremely poor quality of food.

There was no soup left and it wasn't replenished, the food looked so sad.... Breakfast was no joke but in hindsight would have made entertainment on a Mr Bean type comedy.
We sat down 4 of us the only guests in the restaurant, we waited and waited eventually a cook came out went back came out with 4 cups went back returned with 4 saucers. Then the cutlery, we waited no communication at all.. The came 4 eggs put in front of us no egg cups, we waited for plates, none ever came then jam of some concoction arrived. Then it all stopped.. We decided to tackle the eggs with paper napkins as plates, the eggs were cold and nowhere to put the shell.
Then the coffee arrived in a milk jug and it was Luke warm yuk a few mins later the milk came, followed later by the sugar. We had no bread to use with the jam, but it came and was stale! and so hard it caused me dental pain. we gave up and were just about to leave when this so called liquid porridge arrived my goodness it was the colour of cement and smelt like it.
The 2nd evening meal was just as bad and included with salad was raw chunks of tuna yuk!
and the same desserts brought out again.
Breakfast the next morning was no different worse! As they forgot the eggs!!

The temp was hitting 40c and the hotel would not serve soft or alcoholic drinks until 7pm which is unacceptable in this heat and for a 4* hotel.

We complained to the manager but it made no difference.

The rooms were ok shared with ants! The pool furniture is white wooden slated chairs most broken and no cushions/seat pads for comfort.

This hotel is obviously designed for stopovers on dessert tours and not for longer stays.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tirol94
milano
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I was in this hotel in August 2012 for one night with my wife to return from the desert. We had a great time, and the restaurant is in the room. I recommend it. the hotel is quiet, clean but a bit isolated.

Room Tip: our room overlooked the pool was quiet and cool
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kebili
Sun Palm
El Mouradi
El Mouradi
#2 of 7 in Douz
Camp Yadis Ksar Guilane

Been to Yadis Oasis Kebili? Share your experiences!