Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort
US$114
Hotel North(North Sydney)
US$136
US$85
The Clansman Motel(North Sydney)
US$112
US$104
Orbitz.com
All reviewsthe main lodgehot tubcape bretonwood stoveunique experienceindian brookpuffin tournova scotiathanksgiving weekendfull moonwilderness resortbald eaglesnatural beautycabot shorefire pitbeautiful locationmain room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2009

Arriving at Cabot Shores meant being welcomed into a group of folks who wanted to make my stay at Cape Breton as perfect for me as can be. I seriously doubt there's anywhere else to stay where I'd have such personal attention. As much as I'm sure Dr. Paul has on his plate, he drops everything for a curious guest. Most of the time I saw him, he was interacting with a family or a couple and chatting about local hot spots and the like. He really cares about his guests, and it's clear that the personal touch is at the heart of why he runs this resort.

The chalet was perfect - every morning we woke up to a gorgeous view of the sun's rays reflecting off the water and filling the rooms with light, and at night, we had the most gorgeous view of a giant, golden moon rising from over the horizon and shining down on the water just outside our front door. Magical!

The food was hearty and perfect after a long day of adventuring. Filling, flavorful, and just all around yummy (ask for the potato salad!).

The lodge is a great place to meet other folks and compare notes about the day's journeys or get ideas for tomorrow's. Hang out by the fireplace, drink tea, and maybe catch some music. There's a piano and some drums if you feel an itch to make music yourself :) One night there was an impromptu mini-concert where other guests gathered and just hung out together.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2009

I ussually do not write reviews however this is a case I know I would have appreciated someone advising me prior to my visit. My family and I visited Nova Scotia this year and planned to spend two nights at the Cabot Shore Resort. Upon arrival we were greated by the friendly owner and given a tour of the lodge. Our anticipation of our visit quickly evaporated when we were shown to our room in the lodge. We had room 4 which was a small room with a connecting smaller room. When you walked too far from the bed or within the bathroom you would hit your head on the slope of the ceiling. My wife and I are 5'8" and 5'10" respectively. The room adjacent with a connecting door was for my two daughters ages 10 and 15. The room which was decribed to us as having a double bed was a futon. with enough room for two small suitcases. The bed that my wife and I slept on was the noisiest bed I have ever slept on in my life. Any little movement would result in the box springs making loud creeking sounds. Needless to say we did not sleep very well. The rocking chair had a matching creaking sound to go along with the bed. In addition this room required a shoulder to push the door closed, and to open the door required a very good pull. It also took a lot of effort to get the key to work. On one occasion I had to summon the owner to unlock the door. The next night returning from our sighseeing the adjacent room guest was with the owner trying to open the door to their room. They indicated to me they could not get their key to work and door to open and he was now trying to get the door open. The owner needs to replace the cheap hollow core doors and the hardware. Upon our arrival the owner indicated that they were having a concert with a local native singing group in the public space and hoped we would return that evening in time to participate. My daughters were interested in hearing the concert so we made an effort to get back in time. The concert was fun and very good. We all enjoyed ourselves. The Owner had presented this to my wife and I as an added bonus for staying at the lodge. However that was not the case, we ultimately would be charged for the concert in the public space, even though we were already paying for use of this space in our room fee. The sub-par room that was costing me what I thought was $150/night confirmed by and e-mail was not honored at check out and I was informed the cost was $175/night. In addition I was then informed an additional cost was added for the concert. While previously feeling ripped off I now was feeling truely taken advantage. While I would not have had a problem paying for the concert had the owner informed me at the time he was promoting the concert. However the response I got was that I should have known the cost because it was on the chalk board. I did not appreciate the owners cavalier response. It would have been nice of the owner to inform us of the concert and it's cost when he was promoting it to our family. Lastly the owner does not make up the rooms. Their is no house keeping. The two nights were a big dissappointment considering the cost of the stay.

As the title of this review indicates Cabot Shores Resort is OVERPRICED AND NOT A GOOD VALUE. My recommendation would be to spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
24  Thank NovaScotaiTravel2009
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Thanks to Dr.Paul for facilitating the opportunity to meet with our Mi'kmaq neighbours from Indian Brook and a very rare chance to hear Morning Star play in the lovely Cabot Shore's dining room. I especially enjoyed sitting and talking with "John Henry" Lafford about native ways and culture. His was a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to him, I now know how to identify and honour an eagle feather.
Hope Paul and Barb hosts more events like this.
-Jp Boudreau (Isle Madame, Cape Breton)

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2009

We stumbled upon Paul and company by chance after reading about their Yurts in 'Dreamers and Doers'. An absolutely beautiful and natural setting— quaint little trails snake through the majestic setting to the beaches (both saltwater and freshwater) while eagles soar overhead and the crashing of waves off in the distance...

The yurt was perfect! Clean sheets, towels, and just far enough from the lodge that in the morning it felt like we were the only two people for miles.

The bathrooms were new and clean.

We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tader-Tot
Reviewed 16 July 2009

This lodge is rustic rather than luxurious and the common areas are quite simple. There are lots of local artist work displayed, which very nicely depicts the love for the community. The outdoor areas are kept in a natural state and the seascape is beautiful with lots of areas to explore. The check in process is not highly organized and one would want to plan extra time and patience. I especially enjoyed meeting the other guests and comparing notes with places to visit.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends