We needed a place to stop just outside Kruger Park so we could get an early start. We didn't want just anything, but we wanted to keep the whole "safari" experience alive with anything we did or places we stayed. This place fits the bill.
After trasfering our bags to our rooms (upstairs), we went out onto the back deck for dinner. WOW!!! They set up chairs for our whole group of 12 from the USA around a large fire so we could talk and enjoy the outside air. The chef then demonstarted a unique way of grilling right in the coals of the fire. After 30 minutes, they took us to our table where they served a fabulous meal, outside under the stars, to the sounds of the bush. I'm not sure it can get any better than that.
Anneke is the person who had been communicating to me over the months before our group came. She was always very gracious and detailed in her answers, often adding interesting thoughts, like what animals had been seen that day.
We needed to get an early start, so they packed a picnic breakfast for us. It was ready by the time of our departure, so we greatly appreciated that.
What we liked:
1. The atmosphere is very safari-like - exactly what we wanted.
2. Ther dinner experience was amazing!
3. The communication prior to arrival was always complete and accurate.
4. The rooms also reflected the safari look, with thatched roofs, decorations, etc.
What we didn't like:
1. Two of our rooms had no hot water at all that night or in the morning. In the evening, they had gone to report the issue, but didn't find anyone in management, so they reported the problem to another employee who got hold of some folks from the maintenance department. They worked on the problem for 45 minutes, but it went unresolved. The next morning, none of the rooms had hot water. Again, because it was very early, it was only reported to whoever seemecd in charge or at least available at that time. We never found out a reason why this happened, and after communication since we were there, we still don't know! Having said that, however, I'm sure this was a freak thing, because a hotel like this can't survive too long if issues like this keep happeneing. so, to their credit, I'm sure it has now been resolved.
2. Like most lodges, the lighting seems to be normally dim, reflecting a mood that is very relaxing. However, beware the lobby area in this place. There is light, of course, but it's dim. Two of our people missed steps that are in this area and fell. They are not as clearly marked a they could be.
3. Several times, some of our folks went to ask a question at the front desk, but nobody was there. Perhaps just a coincidence.
4. Several people found it difficult to figure out the fan AC system. They were trying to get some heat in the room apparently. For our part personally, we had no problem with it. The AC unit is operated with a remote, but there is a "hidden" compartment on the remote that you have to open to see all the controls. These folks apparently didn't see this compartment.
All-in-all, a fabulous place! With some slight modifications, it would be perfect! Wonderful, friendly staff, and a great overnight "safari" experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With its African atmosphere, Grand Kruger Lodge is the perfect base from which to experience the pride of South Africa's conservation efforts. Superb accommodation, exquisite cuisine and game viewing in southern Kruger National Park. Our hospitality teams have been chosen for their attention to finer detail, thereby providing the luxury of personalized service to you throughout your stay. Grand Kruger Lodge is also the ideal location for conferences and weddings that will provide a memorable day to be cherished. Our recently completed Spa gives an additional service to our guests to relax their body after the game drives.Game drives in open vehicles with qualified game rangers provide guests with thrilling opportunities to view the 'Big Five' as well as a myriad of other flora and fauna in the Kruger National Park, which is a short and easy drive away. Bush walks with knowledgeable rangers will give guests a chance to see game 'up close and personal' or take pleasure in a night drive to hear and spot the elusive nocturnal animals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Grand Kruger Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Kruger Hotel Marloth Park
- Grand Kruger Lodge South Africa/Marloth Park