“Amazing trip and RKL made it better”
Review of Royal Kruger Lodge

Royal Kruger Lodge
“Amazing trip and RKL made it better”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We booked our trip through an online site and were so excited to visit one of the most special countries in the world. We left a piece of our hearts in South Africa and can't wait for a return trip one day.

Vic was so great and accommodating - we had to change some dates and had to shift out travel plans and Vic was more than happy to help. We shared many emails and a couple of phone calls and never had a single negative moment. We had the pleasure of meeting Vic and sharing a drink and he's every bit as cool in person.

Chase was a great guide and awesome guy all around. We would definitely be great mates if not in separate countries. He even took the time to take us to a local Kruger pub and watch the Rugby. The early morning walk was a pleasure and the guy knows his stuff!

Robert was an amazing guide and has the eyes of an Eagle. He made every Game drive an amazing experience and was so dedicated to showing us all of the Big 5. A genuine and lovely guy.

The rest of RKL was just as great and we loved the feeling of the place. Eating in a community setting at night was always fun.

We loved that there was no TV in the room and think this is so great. We spent much of our days in the communal area chatting with other guests, drinking tea and watching the local Warthog, Horatio. We hand fed Zebras, saw a troop of Baboons messing about and watched a magical pair of Kudu passing through - all from the chairs in the tea area.

The rooms were clean and always kept very tidy. Our clothes were folded and the bed was nice and comfy.

Can't wait to go back! Sorry it took us so long to write this review Vic! Hope to see you again soon

Will & Lauren

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hi Will and Lauren,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. Really appreciate it and even more so, as we have received two poor local reviews, which I firmly believe were totally biased and unjustified.Anyway one can't please all the people all of the time.

Your review is so welcome and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. I know the team (staff and guides) really do their best to ensure guests leave with fond memories of the Lodge and that our international guests also leave with fond memories of South Africa. It is such a pleasure having guests like yourselves.

I do hope you make it back again and please write to me direct and I will customise a special package for you.

Many thanks again and keep well.

Vic and the RKL Team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Vanderbijlpark, South Africa
Reviewed 5 May 2014

When a lodge charge you R3100 per couple per night you expect something Royal. Far from that. We travel frequently all over the world and this was our MOST expensive stay per night ever. In March 2014 we were at a fantastic Ski Resort in Andorra in the Perinese Mountains and we paid R1700 per couple per night. The sundowner trip that was included were not worth R950 per person as quoted in their brochure.
On arrival there was just a waiter that gave us a form to fill in. Because of the time 15:00 the only food they could provide us was a toasted ham & cheese. For a 4 star establishment we expected more.
In our room there was no TV, I understand that we are in the bush and the tranquility must be respected. But for a 4 star?????
Our bed linen had holes in them and the bathroom was over run with ants. After I report it to the waiter it was cleaned up, but on our return it was all the same again.
I am embarrassed that for an establishment like a 4 star in South Africa this lodge is ripping off tourist from abroad. It seems a lot of Aussies are lured here. From me to them my deepest apologies that you are being Ripped Off in South Africa. Next time find another place to stay.
At most I will rate this as a Bad 3 star and price per night at R600 per couple per night

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Juan En Sanet K
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
I have responded to this review previously and it was published by Trip Advisor. I found the review totally unfair, factually incorrect, biased and bordering on racist.

For some reason Trip Advisor subsequently removed my response. Despite numerous emails and phone calls, I cannot get hold of anyone to address my issues. I have asked for my response to be republished or failing that, to remove this unfair review. Unfortunately I have received no feedback.

Suffice to say that readers can see for themselves how biased a review this is, based on the general feedback from most of our guests.

Vic
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 30 April 2014

The room was average, there was no bar fridge nor was there a shower. There was a bathtub with a shower handle, but no curtain, so one had to sit on the tub floor to bathe.

We had special meal requirements, however this was not enquired from us.

Room Tip: Enquire about a room with a decent shower.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nastassja G
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Good day Nastassja,

I have read your review with interest and quite frankly it is inaccurate and misleading to clients.

While we always welcome constructive criticism we do expect it to be discussed with us and not wait to air your views in a public forum, especially when you omit relevant details which are essential to a fair review.

Let me highlight some of these for you so as to refresh your memory:

• You mention you had dietary requirements but that we did not ‘enquire’. This is absolutely incorrect. I had many correspondence via email with Sergio and in my initial email I requested details of any ‘special dietary requirements’. None were mentioned and this was confirmed by Sergio as an error on your part during your stay.

• Despite no knowledge of special dietary requirements, our chef and staff went out of their way to cater for you unreasonable demands. These included preparing breakfast especially for you at around 11:00 when you were aware that normal times were from 07:00 to 09:00. This was your second breakfast of the day as we had already prepared a packed breakfast for you for your drive to the Kruger. Your highly discounted package only entitled you to one breakfast per day.

• We were also confused by the fact that you told us during your stay you did not eat pork but you then enjoyed your pork bacon at breakfast.

• You criticise value for money. However not alone did you enjoy a full breakfast, you then proceeded to take most of the remaining cold buffet to your room so you could avail of a free lunch. Most of this food went uneaten in your room and had to be disposed of.

• You state….correctly…. that we don’t have showers in the rooms…..well at least some. We never advertise that we do…..see our website where we state clearly that rooms have baths and that we have an outdoor bush shower for guest use. This is a wonderful attraction appreciated by our international clientele.

• You also state quite correctly we do not have bar fridges. We never claimed we had and we never will. Our philosophy is that guests come to the Bush to experience nature at its best and to be able to share wonderful memories with their fellow travelers over a few drinks on the verandah or in the Boma. We do not recommend visiting the bush to spend your days in a room drinking. Also we do not permit guests to bring their own alcohol to the Lodge. We are well aware you did.

• I know we can never please all the people all of the time and given the extremely biased and inaccurate nature of your comments, we would be unable to please you.

• Given the various categories you rated and the associated ratings, I think perhaps a Backpackers establishment may better suit your budget. If you would like TV’s and bar fridges, etc., then perhaps a hotel in Johannesburg would best suite your needs rather than a visit to the Kruger.

• Should you be visiting these parts again, please ensure you select alternative accommodations other than the Royal Kruger Lodge.

Regards,
Vic
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Royal Kruger Lodge is all about friendly hospitality. The staff from Management down, are all exceptionally friendly and welcoming and go out of their way to ensure that their guests have a wonderful holiday. Nothing is too much trouble, and it's the little touches that go a long way. There were Easter eggs on our pillows over the Easter weekend, a special exclusive dinner for a couple celebrating an anniversary, massages and more. The food is great, traditional African meals served in a open air boma where guests are encouraged to mingle and chat to one another. I have stayed at this lodge twice and met some lovely people from all over the world. Not to mention of course the wildlife that wander by during the day, the friendly warthogs, zebras and the herd of giraffe that ran past one afternoon, and the fantastic safari tours into the Kruger. It's a truly South African experience!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Hi Lisa,

So glad you enjoyed your trip again and hopefully we will see you in the not too distant future.

Next time we will have to award you with the 'Certificate of Regular Friend' :) and we will definately do something very special for you.

If you are coming again please email me direct so I can organise everything for you. In the meantime, thanks again and keep well.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I had been wanting to do my African Adventure for so long and thus had such high expectations. Royal Kruger Lodge and their wonderful tour guides and onsite staff managed to exceed my expectations! The staff were so helpful and friendly, even to the extent of taking my partner and I down to the local pub where we had the chance to meet some locals. The tour guides really know the area and almost everything about the great animals in the Kruger Park and around the Lodge itself. We'll be going back for sure. I couldn't recommend it more highly.
Clare, QLD, Aus

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clare V
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful review and so glad you enjoyed your stay. Sorry I did not get the opportunity to see you personally as I had to be in Johannesburg on business. However I am delighted to hear the team really looked after you and exceeded your expectations.

I am particularly sad I missed the pub crawl with you :( Will definately make it next time round :)

Please visit us again soon and bring your friends with you. Be sure to look out for our specials on Trip Advisor or contact me direct.

Once again thank you for the review and keep well.

Ballandean, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The experience we had for 6 nights was outstanding. What really made this holiday was the absolutely incredible staff. To have 12 giraffes pass right next to us while we were in the pool on our 1st night along with a herd of zebra the following night - resident wart hogs visiting nightly ..... Need I go on. Thank you to all

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Bebee412
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hi Belinda,

Many thanks for your kind review. Glad the team looked after you well and so gald the animals came to visit you too......they love chatting to Australians :).

Please let your friends know about your African adventure. If they are coming to these parts ask the to look out for specials on Trip Advisor or to contact me direct.

Many thanks again and keep well.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Great accomodation, good food, good service.
We had our wedding anniversary on the 16th March which we told management about when we first booked months before.
When we returned from our safari, we had a pleasant surprise in our room.
Champagne, flowers everywhere and our bath was filled with flowers and lit candles. Now that is Great everything. Mike & Michelle Ellis

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Michael E
Vic R, Owner at Royal Kruger Lodge, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hi Mike and Michelle,

So glad you enjoyed your short stay with us and we are happy we were able to do a little something special for you for your anniversary. Many congratulations and hopefully you will have fond memories of the Lodge and South Africa.

Please be sure to share your impressions with all you friends and ask them to look out for our specials on Trip Advisor or to contact me direct.

Keep well and we hope you will return again in the not too distant future.

All the best,

#1 of 34 in Marloth Park
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
Crocodile Bridge Safari Lodge
#69 of 171 in Kruger National Park

Been to Royal Kruger Lodge? Share your experiences!