“Warm and Welcoming” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kruger Inn Backpackers
Tucson, Arizona
“Warm and Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

From my first email inquiry I got all the help I needed from Allison. She gave me info to get my airport transport arranged and her & Cor were perfect owner hosts. I had a little thatched roof hut
(Buffalo) with own bathroom. Because I came in close to sunset, Allison drove me to pick up beer and because the food store was already closed, I was able to order something at the restaurant to go and while we waited for that we had drinks at the bar. There was a kitchen to make my coffee in the AM and a nice outdoor patio with table and chairs. Allison also arranged for my day game drive into Kruger. I had already arranged for my Mozambique and Swaziland Day trips and was picked up right at Kruger Inn Backpackers. Allison also invited me to her bush walk one morning as she is a Marloth Park Ranger. We had other backpackers come in and they cooked on the grill and we all sat out for beers and had a great time. Marloth Park has many zebra, giraffes, warthogs and small impalas roaming free, sometimes right in the driveways. And tribes of monkeys playing about too. Altho there were some swanky spiders in webs outside, I didn't see anything from the insect family in my room. I spent 5 nights here and it was a very good stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank vagabondginger

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Wow, my stay here was absolutely phenomenal!! I stayed here for 3 nights by myself in late summer / early fall and had an amazing time! This place is great for individual travelers to Kruger, which might find it difficult to arrange safaris and affordable accommodation.

My first impression was how easy it was to arrange tours through their online email (see their website). James responds amazingly quickly with complete details and thoughtful responses... which really reassured me about the lodge.

Upon arrival, Marloth park is amazing. It's this little town that used to be part of Kruger but was fenced off for various reasons. Now it's like a small neighborhood where animals can walk around freely (zebras, giraffes, kudus, etc..) right in your backyard! There is no better place to stay around the Kruger.

I was then welcomed by Allison & Cor -- an absolutely amazing couple who themselves love animals and go to the Kruger all the time. Allison is an honorary park ranger (basically a certified guide) who can show you around the park with an incredible amount of knowledge (I learned so much about animals). it's almost like having a local show you around!

I stayed in one of the larger rooms with my own bathroom -- the facilities were all very clean and neat. I was worried there would be a lot of bugs -- but it actually isn't too bad. Just make sure to close your windows and especially, at night, turn the lights off if you want the windows open. The bathroom was clean and the bed was SUPER comfortable. Outside, there's a small pool and an eating/dining/lounging area so it's good for hanging out. There's also a deck on the second floor which gives you an AMAZING view of the stars at night.... You can even hear lions at night from the nearby park.

I would totally come here again -- Allison & Cor made my Kruger experience absolutely phenomenal. They were warm, friendly, and made me feel instantly home.

(You can check out the pictures they have here: https://www.facebook.com/25Alison they post pics of the safaris and the zebras in the backpackers!! awesomek)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lilyiann
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were a large family group being 6 adults and 4 kids that booked in Kruger Inn backpackers. We booked 3 of the 5 available units which all have a bathroom with a shower. Although rustic, the place is clean, neat and tidy and there is a pool to cool down in. The kitchen is fully equipped with a gas stove and at least 2 fridges. Our hosts Alison and Cor were very helpful with information and advice on visiting KNP. The area seems safe with joggers and cyclists enjoying the quieter road in Marloth Park. There are animals roaming freely in the area and I saw giraffe, kudu, warthog, zebra and wildebeest in the nearby bushes.
It is in close proximity to the Crocodile Bridge entrance to the Kruger National Park. There is also a community shopping centre with a petrol station, hardware store, small supermarket, laundry, pub, car wash etc.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
#3 of 30 in Marloth Park
Crocodile Kruger Safari Lodge
Crocodile Kruger Safari Lodge
#13 of 30 in Marloth Park

Been to Kruger Inn Backpackers? Share your experiences!