“best evening for a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kitley House Hotel

Kitley House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Yealmpton
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“best evening for a long time”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

turned up without booking could not have been made more welcomed if they tried asked for just a light meal and a cup of tea, the chef was so helpful said would rustle us up something, well it was an amazing light meal delicious we sat outside on the balcony and watched the sun go down over their lovely gardens and then went indoors and sat on one of their comfortable chairs listening to lovely quiet background music from musicals and drunk more tea where still there when the night staff came on didn't want to go home will be back and have recommended it to all our friends thank you very much for a lovely evening

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed more than 6 times in 2 years and on my stay this time couldn't believe the transformation of the dining area and bar. I cannot fault this hotel. Even when on my first stay over 2 years ago the roof in the bay window leaked and soaked some of my clothes. The staff are attentive, the food is probably the best I have had ever and the setting is as good as many a 5 star retreat. The consistency of quality has remained throughout the years of me using this hotel. Yes the rooms are dated, but, this is character. From room 10 on the top floor to the suites it is exceptional value. I would recommend this to business travellers and families alike. Don't lose your individuality as this is one of the reasons you remain one of the best, competitively priced hotels for miles around. I am convinced the house is haunted. Maybe it's the look and feel or maybe it's the experience I had a year ago..........

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I took my family here a couple of months back for the kids half term break (one 5yr old and one 3yr old). The staff were exceptionally welcoming and really hospitable, kids had an excellent time and were well looked after. The location is charming, the house full of historical character, food was amazing and the grounds worth exploring at your leisure. We had one of the standard family rooms on the top floor - whilst it suited our needs, it could do with a little refresh. We were hoping to get one of the state rooms, however sadly they were all booked up. I would nonetheless visit again. Thank you all at Kitley house for a lovely stay. All the best, Prajay

Room Tip: Whilst the rooms are quiet, worth checking to see if they have a party/event booking just in case. T...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed at Kitley House twice in a couple of weeks; fabulous restful stays, with outstanding food served by keen, knowledgeable staff. Kitley House is a place of real character, yes if you look hard you may find the odd sign of tiredness but for less than the price of those "cheap" chains last week I stayed in a luxury country house hotel. And to cap my stay as I walked out in the morning, I was greeted by an escapee from a local Pig farm, I kid you not, it appears that the bacon walks to the hotel. Stay there or miss out!!

Room Tip: The suites are outstanding with brilliant views of the countryside, the standard rooms are still big...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed here for a friend's 40th party in May. Our room was beautiful with a huge bathroom and separate seating area. The food we had was very nice. However the hotel misses something, the night staff were grumpy and not at all accommodating to the many guests who asked for the bar to stay open after midnight, and in the morning there seemed to be a strained atmosphere to the whole hotel. Although the building is lovely it seems to lack warmth, and I wouldn't return.

Room Tip: We had the Cromwell Suite which was lovely.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hereford
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My partner and I spent one night here, and arrived early enough to take advantage of the glorious weather and take a walk all round the grounds, about a 3 mile round trip.
Our room (8) was fine, though a bit tired but we understand the rooms are in the process of being renovated. It was at the top of the Hotel with no lift which wasn't a problem for us but may be for anyone with limited mobility.
We had a meal in the beautiful dining room, the food was superb, I couldn't fault it, and our waitress was excellent, as were all the other staff. It is clear that they are trained to a very high standard, I don't think I've experienced better service.
We would recommend the hotel, and I'm sure once the restoration is complete it will be amazing.

Room Tip: There's no lift so ask not to be on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Market Bosworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Very warm welcome and very impressed with the room (Sarah Martin suite). Wonderful views of the river and very comfortable. Excellent dinner, well priced and so nice to have linen table cloths and napkins. Breakfast was of a very high standard and served in the wonderful dining room.
Only down side is the very uneven surface to the mile drive from the road to reception.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yealmpton
Boringdon Hall Hotel and Spa
Plantation House Hotel and Restaurant
The Smithaleigh Hotel
The Smithaleigh Hotel
#3 of 3 in Plympton

Been to Kitley House Hotel? Share your experiences!