“"You can't have a slice of lemon for your tea because chef's gone home"”

Riverford Farm Shop Cafe
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Yealmpton
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Delicatessen
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Our Farm shop & cafe boast an array of locally produced, fine quality & often Organic produce. You will find anything from a traditional English breakfast to a rotating daily specials board focusing on what's in season and available at the time. We also have a fantastic butchery counter specialising in Free-Range and Organic meats from local South Devon farms, a West Country Cheese Counter, Wine & Local Ales & Ciders, Olive bar & Deli, and the best selection of fruit & vegetables around! Shop Opening hoursMonday - Saturday: 9am - 6pmSunday: 10am - 4pm (Please call us for cafe opening times)
Roslyn Heights, New York
“"You can't have a slice of lemon for your tea because chef's gone home"”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stopped by in the late afternoon and ordered a quiche, salad, and tea for two. When the staff brought our order to the table I asked for a slice of lemon for my tea. Looking very put- upon, our blonde staff said, "I can't do that because chef has gone home" ......My goodness what does it take to go and slice off a piece of lemon? Does that require cullinary expertise ? I think it is the attitude of some of the staff that seems as if they can't be bothered and then they look at you with a "zombie"- like expression of distain. In spite of the fact that their food is very good, this kind of attitude will make us think twice about returning.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank giles41
Vicki C, Manager at Riverford Farm Shop Cafe, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear Customer, thank you so much taking the time to review us and for giving such honest feedback. The service that you recieved on this day was unprofessional and highly embarrassing. At Riverford Farm Shops we always strive to give the best customer service and will actively go out of our way to help and provide a great experience. In this case our staff member did not meet our standards and this is not acceptable. I am so sorry for this. I notice you have reviewed us once before and you left some really kind words and a great score. I hope you will visit us again and we can offer you the high standard of service in which you and all of our other customers must recieve. Thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Another great day!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Me and a friend visited the shop when they were having their beer and cider festival. I've got to say that we had a great day!!!! The staff and everyone involved looked like they were having a great time along with everyone else - a great atmosphere.

They really pulled out all the stops with fantastic live music, great food and wide range of quality local beer and cider brewers (with staff on hand to answer questions).
They also had a load of stuff to keep the kids happy and even a bouncy castle!!! Could you ask for anything more!!

There was more going on here than there ever is in the pubs and events around the area! Well done Riverford!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank paulrossvideoart
Reading, United Kingdom
“Riverford Cafe is pants”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We visited the Riverford Cafe thinking that it would be a great place for breakfast. My bacon sandwich had two tiny rashers in it and nobs of unspread butter on the tasteless biege bread. My sons boiled egg was tiny and undercooked and the toast burnt.
This was such a disappointment that they have such a fantastic shop with great ingredients ruined by a sloppy chef. Seriously I could and do make nicer bacon sarni;s

Visited June 2013
4 Thank James C
“Local food at local prices!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

There is quite a wide variety of food available to buy at Riverford which is good and I always get the feeling that the staff put in a great deal of effort. Also that the current manager is always friendly and helpful and always looking to improve things. Some of the food available to take away or cook yourself have become classic favourites with me and people I know for example the delicious lentil pasties and homity pies! You have to accept that it is not the cheapest and the local area is full of quite affluent people who will pay high prices and the produce is locally sourced as far as possible. I would like to see a sharper eye on the quality of the fruit and veg which isn't always great especially in the summer and would rather the fresh olives were fresher and potted out of the big containers to avoid them getting mixed up and sneezed on etc, also they are a bit overpriced. The cafe although it is a bit shed like is really quite charming and excellent for friends with young children and I have never encountered any bad service there or badly behaved children. The staff will do whatever they can to meet your requirements and the portions are more than adequate.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank yumbletums
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“Good produce to buy but cafe overpriced”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Several visits here, liked the produce to purchase (albeit expensive) however the cafe was overpriced and the staff quite surly (appeared the staff thought they were doing us a favour by serving us). Extremely expensive toast for breakfast and nothing special.

Visited May 2013