“Overpriced overcooked small portions”

Riverford Farm Shop Cafe
Ranked #4 of 6 Restaurants in Yealmpton
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Our Farm shop & cafe boast an array of locally produced, fine quality & often Organic produce. You will find anything from a traditional English breakfast to a rotating daily specials board focusing on what's in season and available at the time. We also have a fantastic butchery counter specialising in Free-Range and Organic meats from local South Devon farms, a West Country Cheese Counter, Wine & Local Ales & Ciders, Olive bar & Deli, and the best selection of fruit & vegetables around! Shop Opening hoursMonday - Saturday: 9am - 6pmSunday: 10am - 4pm (Please call us for cafe opening times)
uk
“Overpriced overcooked small portions”
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We went today half the tables were full waited 35mins for a riverford breakfast people who came in after us got their food before us. Food arrived i wondered where the food was on the plate! For 6.95 there was two tiny thin sausages overc
ooked hard as anything, one egg overcooked horrible crispy bottom and edges, two tiny bits of bacon one fairly big mushroom, two tiny squares of rock hard tasteless toast and a side of watery flavourless beans, and one tomato cut in half fryed. What a load of rubbish for the cost and it was tasteless if the cost is high because they are organic they have no flavour and why 1.80 for a teabag and water in a teapot? That tasted like cheap tea. There were also a couple of wasps that kept flying near us and that were spotted on the cakes. Riverford if you are going to charge lots at least make the portions adequate and it taste nice!! We are not fussy eaters at all but this was just rubbish. Just to note we were told by the person who served me that there was a 15 min wait for food not 35 min.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank ruby09

Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great breakfast!”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The breakfast here may be a little costlier than most places but look at what you are getting! Organic tasty food with gorgeous own made sausages, own cured bacon, deep yellow yolk eggs, etc etc. Try it, you won't be disappointed I'm sure.

Visited August 2013
Chester, United Kingdom
“Perfectly reasonable cafe attached to a very good food store”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Excellent if slightly pricey organic shop, good butchers and brilliant veg that you can pick your own from the fields behind. Cafe good but not perfect, but well worth a try after picking your own.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Woodychester1
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Having just enjoyed and excellent lunch at the Field Kitchen we decided to visit the shop. We were disappointed with the range on offer and the tiredness of the vegetables and fruit, it did not make an impression on us.
Also they missed a link by not promoting the ingredients and recipes for the lunch served at the Field Kitchen. I really feel they need to look at this part of the operation as it casts a bit of a shadow over the Field Kitchen Experience.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jennifer G
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Reliant on the name, and getting away with it..... shame.”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I have visited Riverford Farm Shop three times now for a spot of lunch, I have also had one of their evening meals and have bought fruit and veg from the shop.

I am so disappointed with the quality of not only the service, but the food and the value for money. My partners bacon and egg sandwich, which cost £6.95 had one very small rasher of bacon and an undercooked egg with less than impressive slightly stale bread. I returned the food to the counter and asked for another an an possibly some more bacon, to only get it returned with the egg over cooked and all the fat deposits off the bacon. The waitress was less than impressed with being inconvenienced.

I have bought fruit on a few occasions from the shop and I never will again. I just don't understand how they get away with selling food that is well past it's best. Is it the leftovers from all the vegbox deliveries? I bought peaches which appeared okay in the shop only to get them home and within a day they were off. The food is not cheap here either. I visited last weekend to try one last time only to find that most of the apples were so soft to touch I was in danger of squishing them.

I have found the staff constantly unhelpful or moody. It seems like I have somehow ruined their day coming into the shop.

I feel so disappointed because I do want to eat with more of a conscience, but it really hurts my pocket to shop and eat here. The atmosphere is pleasant enough but please make the whole experience better.

• Visited August 2013