“Nice steaks, shame about the service”
Review of Green Olive - CLOSED

Green Olive
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“Nice steaks, shame about the service”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We went last summer and would not go again only because the owner was awful. He actually said can you hurry up! There were only 2 other tables occupied, it was early in the evening about half past 7 and we had only sat down and had a few sips of wine. It was so awful it was funny. My husband wanted to leave and had we not ordered a bottle of wine and just got our 1 year old settled in a(extremely grubby) highchair I would have got up and walked off and found somewhere else to eat (which wouldnt be difficult the paseo has many good restaurants. Miel next door I have had most items off their menu and all are excellent and much better value for money than the green olive.) Anyway, the other waiter was lovely and the food was quite nice. I have had better steaks but I have also had much worse. My husband had surf and turf which was steak with ONE langostine and cost 3euros more so quite an expensive little morsel! The starters were ok. Mussells very nice but again could have been a slightly larger portion for the price or priced a bit lower for the size of portion. When I spoke to a friend who also lives locally he said that himself and some friends had eaten there and all become ill and he would have warned me not to go if I had had mentioned it! Oh well, we have a funny story to tell about restaurant service. My husband just asked me what Im typing laughing to myself, when I told him he said Oh God not that place with the fat, ignorant b@$/@#*, we should have just got up and left, at least he didnt poison us for our 100euros!

• Visited June 2013

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Really good food”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

A breezy, rainy evening in March and the Green Olive is just ahead. It has only a few customers but it's warm and dry. I just need a steak - a decent sized one. The owner tells me the steak is really good and will take "rare" cooking. Thirty minutes later after a god tasty warming soup, I can prove him right - it is about 12 ounces and tender as butter, as well as being tasty and juicy. The others in my party have salmon and chicken - also reported to be excellent. Service and presentation are impeccable. Worth a visit, but you don't need to wait for a rainy night!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Stephen E
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We had a meal here, enjoyed it, and so booked Christmas day lunch. We were too ill to attend but visited again just before we left. Unfortunately I was taken ill again but Bob couldn't have been more helpful, even specially preparing food not on the menu for my wife who had also not been well.
All I can say to those who talk about the owner being miserable, is - you must have gone to a different restaurant. Our first visit was a great evening with lots of joking and banter as well as good food. The guy works hard, looks after his customers and is friendly and welcoming.
Maybe those who said otherwise have been suffering from a sense of humour bypass?

• Visited December 2013
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Quirky and individual - like the owner!”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We walked into Sabinillas one evening and this was one of the first places we liked the look of and after wandering around a bit decided to come back. There were seven of us in all, Myself, my wife, mother-in-law, two teenage sons, teenage daughter and her boyfriend.

When we first arrived the greeting from Rob was a trifle brusque and we weren't sure what to expect, however once we'd decided to order the house speciality - The meat "towers" he warmed to us noticeably. It's obviously their "thing" and it does make this restaurant stand out above some of the others. We ordered variously the chicken, pork & beef towers as well as salad, wine and beers.
The towers are basically kebabs but suspended on their own hooks and brought to the table as such. It's a great idea and was what caught our eye and made us come back in the first place.

The food was really nice, without being too fussy; just letting the flavour of the meat come through. Quite refreshing not to have food like this "mucked around with" and shows confidence in the quality of the meat.

One of the funny things when sitting outside is that the green light makes all your photos look very weird! It's also nice to sit there looking out over the beach and the sea, as it's so close.

All in all, great value and the Green Olive managed to satisfy all the varying tastes in our group, no mean feat. Try it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Holidaystar67
“Good food”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Always good value and excellent food , has an excellent reputation well deserved. This restaurant has been in Sabinillas for some time and has been the venue for many excellent parties and dinners.

• Visited May 2013