“REALLY GOOD .” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Estribo

El Estribo
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Argentinian
Good for: Romantic, Groups, View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
LEEDS
“REALLY GOOD .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We hadn't been here for quite some time and were pleased to find that the standard was still superb.
All starters ordered were tasty ranging from empanadas to various salads.
The steaks, chicken and veal mains were cooked to perfection but what really made the meal were the add-ons such as fried onions and sweet potato in a creamy sauce.
Service was also good and the bill acceptable for this quality.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Claremorris, Ireland
“Worth every cent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

This place is wonderful - a bit more expensive than others in the locality, but worth paying the extra. My husband chose chorizo for a started and I ordered the morcilla (blood pudding or black pudding as we know it), and we were asked if it was to share. We were given an empty plate each and both starters were on a separate plate. I ordered the veal escalope (which filled the plate) and my husband ordered pork fillet (again a huge portion). We made the mistake or ordering sides of garlic mushrooms and chips and ate very few of the first and none of the second. We also had bread, water, wine and coffee and the bill was less than fifty-six euro.

Visited September 2013
Burnley
“OK OK I AM A FOOL”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

I wrote a poor review last year but we decided to give El Estribo another chance.....WHAT A FOOLISH THING TO DO. They served frozen empanadas, alongside a bland pasta and spinach dish for starters. The main courses were not as ordered as the steaks were so much overcooked. I called the Manager over to complain but he had suddenly lost his grasp of English. My wife then spoke to him in fluent Spanish and he just shrugged and walked away. We payed the best part of €60 for the privilege NEVER NEVER NEVER again. Great view though?????

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Madrid, Spain
“Hmm...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

We went to El Estribo last year, and were so impressed that we made sure to book and come back when we were in twn again this year. It could have been two different places.

Service was a bit mixed: it wasn't a warm night, so I was offered a poncho, which seemed a cute thing to do, and I was impressed. From there on in, less so.

We ordered the empanadas and baked cheese to start; the cheese was warm, so edible, but the empanadas were freezing in the middle. We sent them back, and got on with the cheese in the meantime. We had to remind them about the empanadas when they came to collect our plates. This time, they were boiling hot, but tasty.

Whether it was just poor timing or whether it was the delayed starter, but the steaks were over-done. We ordered a solomillo and a bife de lomo, and ordered them both "al punto" (similar to rare); the bife de lomo was closer to being al punto than the more expensive solomillo and my husband left the most over-cooked pieces on his plate. From memory, the steak was around €25 - for that price, I would expect the waiter to enquire whether it was ok (or maybe he's used to people leaving half their steak), but no.

Highlight of the meal was the excellent Malbec house red, and the free chupito of caramel vodka at the end.

Was it a bad meal? No. But I have certainly had better value, and won't be dashing back next year.

Visited September 2013
Hapton
“Best steak house on the beach!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Fantastic meal in a fantastic location. Not cheap but worth very penny. The waiters can't do enough for you, they even served my children their coffee on the beach!!

• Visited August 2013