“Slipping standards?”
Review of Brook Farm

Brook Farm
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here as a special treat to ourselves as we don't normally spend this much on a B+B. The Times Top 50 rating helped us to choose.

Sadly we think its' standards have slipped a little since the Times review. There were a few things which we mentioned to the owners during our stay but there was more which we didn't mention. We didn't want to appear to be constantly wingeing, but they have been bugging me, so it's best to alert others to the fact that it may not perhaps be the magical location you're hoping for as a special treat and, as such, value-for-money is questionable.

Those issues we didn't mention included the out-of-date 'fresh' fruit juice at breakfast, the overcooked breakfast, the only opening bedroom window which didn't open, which made us feel very claustrophobic, and the particular gem, the husband's table manners, which were embarrasingly loud enough for all to hear, guests and all. He's quite a belcher! I just wonder if they have become a little complacent and self-satisfied with their rating; we were made to feel like we were the lucky ones to be staying in their home, rather than them being the lucky ones to have paying guests.

I would normally only praise in writing, but this went a bit too far, considering that these were the issues which we didn't mention, that there was more which we unavoidably had to mention and which we know would have been fixed, and considering the price paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

O dear! I can't imagine who you are - I haven't had a complaint about anything at all this year so you certainly didn't mention anything to us. All our windows open perfectly well. My local apple juice is most certainly in date. I don't think I've burnt anyone's breakfast recently, but if I did I would have apologised about it and probably still be beating myself up about it months later. As for my husband belching that is very funny as he is far less likely to belch than me and even I would find it hard to belch loud enough for any guests to hear...What else...O the price is £85 per night so I don't think that is excessive anyway, let alone all the extra bits and bobs you get while you are here...
If you are a real guest, please do email me and make yourself known to me and I will be profuse in my apologies and beg forgiveness. But if you making mischief I suppose this was a good way of getting my Trip Advisor score down. I wonder who would do that? Hey Ho. Sarah

There are newer reviews for Brook Farm

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have just returned from 5 nights B & B at Brook Farm and can not recommend it highly enough. The lovely old farmhouse was a delight to return to after pottering around the area. The warm welcome and helpfulness of Sarah and her husband, the beautiful garden and lovely food meant we really felt spoilt and haven't felt so relaxed in ages. We enjoyed pottering in Antique shops in Leominster, a hearty walk in the Shropshire hills, visiting the black and white villages and some really inspirational gardens - not least Sarah's own which was so pretty. We enjoyed the slow lane so much we didn't want to come home! A truly nice little place in the country and a holiday to reflect on with a smile and happy memories. The only drawback was I ate far too much cake and have developed rather a taste for damson vodka!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you too! A lovely review and from a fellow holiday cottage owner with your own fabulous places too! It was a pleasure to have you here and we hope to come and explore your area too one day. Many many thanks again.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Staying in the Hen House at Brook Farm in August was a delightful experience. The decor was homespun and the bed was supremely comfortable. The divine garden was buzzing with bees and butterflies. It was a real home from home (well, better than home!). The wif-fi was welcome, especially given mobile phone reception is limited in the area. Sarah and Willy were welcoming hosts. If you stay there, ask eminent ecologist Willy if he will put his moth trap on overnight. The garden is open to visitors and there are B&B guests and others staying in the Hop Pickers. So you may find visitors wandering past at up to 9pm! It is a great spot for exploring Shropshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire and competitively priced. All in all a great choice and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the Hen House for enough room for a couple for a week
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much indeed - it's always lovely having other gardeners stay to share and chat about plants and stuff! And I'm glad you liked the idea of a new private garden for the Hen House. Thank you for recommending us - we really do appreciate these reviews.
Just feel I ought to quickly say to anyone thinking about visiting the garden please don't come at 9pm!! We are open Sat, Sun & Mon 11-6 !!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in one of the self catering cottages, it was soooo lovely, such beautiful furnishings, in such a beautiful setting, kids took the dog for a walk through the gorgeous gardens. Cake, tea, coffee, fresh baked bread, fully stocked fridge of local produce. If you need to stay anywhere near this area, don't hesitate to stay here, I'm trying to find an excuse to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

That's terribly nice of you to write after such a brief stay! Thank you and I hope you do find that excuse! Sarah

Reviewed 29 July 2013

May I say this is so far the best B&B experience we have had? I probably have rated some other B&Bs "the best" in the past, until we came across Brook Farm. The building itself is one of the most charming houses we have seen, and despite the fact we are normally not keen on cottages, we loved it the minute we walked in. As a 500 years old building, it has low ceilings, wonky floors, uneven walls, old beams and everything else you expect with an old cottage, but it feels spotlessly clean, open, bright, warm, homey and chic. It looks like something in the Country Living magazine. There are only two rooms in separate part of the house, each with its own bathroom so we were not disturbed by the other guests. The guest living room is also a lovely bonus. We spent rainy afternoons and evenings sitting by the fire, playing board game or just relaxing. There are also two self-catering cottages at Brook Farm which look equally charming. The B&B is hidden away in one of the most peaceful and beautiful spot of England, and Sarah and Willy have done wonders to the garden! It's unbelievable what can be done in 7 years! We enjoyed our morning walks in the garden, sheep-spotting from the bathroom, or duck-spotting from our bedroom. There are lots of lovely gardens, stately homes, castles and market towns nearby to explore, too.

The place itself alone worth 5 star rating, but it's the people that made our stay truly memorable. Sarah and Willy are so generous, kind, welcoming and thoughtful. There are teas and cakes on arrival, complimentary chocolates, choice of hot drinks, brandy and homemade damson vodka for guests to enjoy, luxury toiletries, and coffee/tea brought to the room in the morning. Everything is so laid back that there isn't a strict breakfast time either (as Sarah said, as long as you get up before 12). Sarah and Willy are also extremely helpful in booking restaurant/taxi/giving a lift for us, which they don't HAVE TO do. All this came with a very reasonable room rate. We felt extremely at home at Brook Farm and were really sorry to leave. It is at No 1 of my recommendation list for a beautiful English rural retreat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Y S
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Well, what can I say?! Thank you! And all that even after Willy dropped you at the wrong pub! We both really appreciate your very flattering review thank you so much. Sarah.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We had read the reviews and wondered if the reality would match up - it did!!
From our first sight of this wonderful cottage and the warm welcome with tea and cake everything was perfect.
Our room was lovely with a comfortable bed, although we spent a lot of time relaxing in the beautiful gardens or the guest's lounge with it's comfy sofas and lovely log burner. The complimentary tea, coffee and cake was very welcome after a day out and about walking in the beautiful countryside or visting pretty toens and lovely National Trust properties.
Sarah & Willie were the perfect hosts, happy to suggest and book evening meals (all of which were great), always around if needed but never intrusive.
It was lovely to be woken with a cup of tea in the morning and the breakfasts were really delicious - not only the ususal full English but scrambled eggs with local smoked trout (hubby's favourite) or Sarah's Sundae Breakfast (mine)
We loved Harry the dog, all the cats, donkeys, sheep, ducks and hens!!
Thank you for a perfect way break - we will be back!

Room Tip: All are wonderful!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pandapatch29
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Thank you so very much indeed. I think these wonderful reviews are just as much a reflection of the niceness of the guests as the niceness of the place! I fee lvery lucky to have such great visitors.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

My partner and I arrived home yesterday from a truly enchanting Friday to Sunday stay at Brook Farm. We arrived at 8pm on Friday evening after a busy day at work and Travelling to be greeted by Sarah. A warm welcome followed by a tour of Brook Farm. We were staying in The Hen House, from the moment the door opened I fell in love, so much attention to detail, a cosy traditional cottage yet a modern feel. This was to be our home for the next couple of days. We had taken our family dog Mylo who was so excited by his new surroundings with all the smells in the countryside air..... not to mention the wild cats and hens that were roaming around..

My partner and I had ordered the Cheese and Meat platter this was waiting for us along with two chilled local ciders.. It was just what the doctor ordered as we were both famished. We settled down for our first night in The Hen House, it felt warm and cosy I was instantly relaxed!

The following morning we both woke up at 7:30 sharp (still in work mode) after what had been the best sleep I had had in along time, all we could hear were birds just outside the window singing and sheep in the field just next to the main house.... BLISS! Sarah had stocked the fridge with some local produce, so i cracked on with breakfast and made a pot of tea....Firstly the eggs.. WOW I have never seen eggs like them.. they were huge. The bacon, sausage, mushroom and fresh tomatoes were so tasty.. it made having a naughty full english breakfast worth it. :)

After a lazy morning we ventured out with Mylo to explore our surroundings.. The trails next to the cottage offered a lovely mid morning stroll and luckily we managed to get back to The Hen House just before the heavens opened..

To be honest the second night and day consisted of pretty much the same eating, drinking and walking. We had chosen to come to Brook Farm to relax and that is exactly what we did... although we now wish we had booked for the week as two days simply wasn't enough :(

There is plenty to do if you want to be adventurous.. packed into the guide Sarah had left in the Hen House there were walks for cider lovers, food lovers and wine lovers. We will defiantly look into these on our next visit.

If you are looking for a peaceful experience with ample walks and idyllic surroundings with a home from home feel I would recommend Brook Farm, this was our first trip here but I can safely say it won't be our last.

Just a perfect Getaway.....

Sadie, Jamie and Mylo :)

Room Tip: Pack your walking boots and waterproof coat... once you set off walking you don't want to stop e...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Thank you! What a thoroughly lovely description of a weekend in the Hen House - might just have to cut and paste that on to our website! So glad you and Mylo enjoyed it and really look forward to welcoming you all back again. Sarah.x

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenbury Wells
#2 of 6 in Tenbury Wells
Hidden Valley Camping
Hidden Valley Camping
#3 of 6 in Tenbury Wells

Been to Brook Farm? Share your experiences!