“Wonderful place”
Review of Brook Farm

Brook Farm
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a real haven of peace in an absolutely beautiful part of the country. Our room was spacious and very comfortable, and the way in which we were greeted was just perfect - fresh coffee and cake hidden away under a tree in a secluded spot within the amazing gardens. The homemade damson vodka was a wonderful treat, breakfast was fabulous, and without a doubt I'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble to write a review. I'm quite fond of that spot under the tree myself and I'm planning a little water feature - (well, a spilling-over-birdbath) next to it for next year too. So glad you enjoyed it all. Thank you again, Sarah.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Brook Farm is set in a wonderful, peaceful eight acre garden which we stayed in for five days in late summer.
Sarah, our host, couldn't have been more kind and helpful. She was a fund of information about local gardens and restaurants.
Our accommodation was very stylish and comfortable and the breakfasts were a real treat - not just the standard English Breakfast, but a choice of three different cook meals which compares in quality with a good hotel.
We were given tea and cake as soon as we arrived and even got tea in bed each morning before breakfast - Better than at home!
A perfect mixture of style, comfort and informality.
Brook Farm is a very old farm house which is about 3 miles from Tenbury Wells and about a mile from the nearest pub. It makes an ideal centre for walking or touring around the lovely Welsh Marches.

1  Thank Nigel P

Hello and thank you so much for your lovely review. It is really important to me that people feel that they've been well looked after and I do try my very best at all times. It is heartening to receive reassurance that you think I'm getting it right. Thank you so much again. Sarah.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed here as a special treat to ourselves as we don't normally spend this much on a B+B. The Times Top 50 rating helped us to choose.

Sadly we think its' standards have slipped a little since the Times review. There were a few things which we mentioned to the owners during our stay but there was more which we didn't mention. We didn't want to appear to be constantly wingeing, but they have been bugging me, so it's best to alert others to the fact that it may not perhaps be the magical location you're hoping for as a special treat and, as such, value-for-money is questionable.

Those issues we didn't mention included the out-of-date 'fresh' fruit juice at breakfast, the overcooked breakfast, the only opening bedroom window which didn't open, which made us feel very claustrophobic, and the particular gem, the husband's table manners, which were embarrasingly loud enough for all to hear, guests and all. He's quite a belcher! I just wonder if they have become a little complacent and self-satisfied with their rating; we were made to feel like we were the lucky ones to be staying in their home, rather than them being the lucky ones to have paying guests.

I would normally only praise in writing, but this went a bit too far, considering that these were the issues which we didn't mention, that there was more which we unavoidably had to mention and which we know would have been fixed, and considering the price paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

O dear! I can't imagine who you are - I haven't had a complaint about anything at all this year so you certainly didn't mention anything to us. All our windows open perfectly well. My local apple juice is most certainly in date. I don't think I've burnt anyone's breakfast recently, but if I did I would have apologised about it and probably still be beating myself up about it months later. As for my husband belching that is very funny as he is far less likely to belch than me and even I would find it hard to belch loud enough for any guests to hear...What else...O the price is £85 per night so I don't think that is excessive anyway, let alone all the extra bits and bobs you get while you are here...
If you are a real guest, please do email me and make yourself known to me and I will be profuse in my apologies and beg forgiveness. But if you making mischief I suppose this was a good way of getting my Trip Advisor score down. I wonder who would do that? Hey Ho. Sarah

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We have just returned from 5 nights B & B at Brook Farm and can not recommend it highly enough. The lovely old farmhouse was a delight to return to after pottering around the area. The warm welcome and helpfulness of Sarah and her husband, the beautiful garden and lovely food meant we really felt spoilt and haven't felt so relaxed in ages. We enjoyed pottering in Antique shops in Leominster, a hearty walk in the Shropshire hills, visiting the black and white villages and some really inspirational gardens - not least Sarah's own which was so pretty. We enjoyed the slow lane so much we didn't want to come home! A truly nice little place in the country and a holiday to reflect on with a smile and happy memories. The only drawback was I ate far too much cake and have developed rather a taste for damson vodka!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Thank you too! A lovely review and from a fellow holiday cottage owner with your own fabulous places too! It was a pleasure to have you here and we hope to come and explore your area too one day. Many many thanks again.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

Staying in the Hen House at Brook Farm in August was a delightful experience. The decor was homespun and the bed was supremely comfortable. The divine garden was buzzing with bees and butterflies. It was a real home from home (well, better than home!). The wif-fi was welcome, especially given mobile phone reception is limited in the area. Sarah and Willy were welcoming hosts. If you stay there, ask eminent ecologist Willy if he will put his moth trap on overnight. The garden is open to visitors and there are B&B guests and others staying in the Hop Pickers. So you may find visitors wandering past at up to 9pm! It is a great spot for exploring Shropshire, Herefordshire and Worcestershire and competitively priced. All in all a great choice and highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for the Hen House for enough room for a couple for a week
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much indeed - it's always lovely having other gardeners stay to share and chat about plants and stuff! And I'm glad you liked the idea of a new private garden for the Hen House. Thank you for recommending us - we really do appreciate these reviews.
Just feel I ought to quickly say to anyone thinking about visiting the garden please don't come at 9pm!! We are open Sat, Sun & Mon 11-6 !!

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed in one of the self catering cottages, it was soooo lovely, such beautiful furnishings, in such a beautiful setting, kids took the dog for a walk through the gorgeous gardens. Cake, tea, coffee, fresh baked bread, fully stocked fridge of local produce. If you need to stay anywhere near this area, don't hesitate to stay here, I'm trying to find an excuse to go back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

That's terribly nice of you to write after such a brief stay! Thank you and I hope you do find that excuse! Sarah

Reviewed 29 July 2013

May I say this is so far the best B&B experience we have had? I probably have rated some other B&Bs "the best" in the past, until we came across Brook Farm. The building itself is one of the most charming houses we have seen, and despite the fact we are normally not keen on cottages, we loved it the minute we walked in. As a 500 years old building, it has low ceilings, wonky floors, uneven walls, old beams and everything else you expect with an old cottage, but it feels spotlessly clean, open, bright, warm, homey and chic. It looks like something in the Country Living magazine. There are only two rooms in separate part of the house, each with its own bathroom so we were not disturbed by the other guests. The guest living room is also a lovely bonus. We spent rainy afternoons and evenings sitting by the fire, playing board game or just relaxing. There are also two self-catering cottages at Brook Farm which look equally charming. The B&B is hidden away in one of the most peaceful and beautiful spot of England, and Sarah and Willy have done wonders to the garden! It's unbelievable what can be done in 7 years! We enjoyed our morning walks in the garden, sheep-spotting from the bathroom, or duck-spotting from our bedroom. There are lots of lovely gardens, stately homes, castles and market towns nearby to explore, too.

The place itself alone worth 5 star rating, but it's the people that made our stay truly memorable. Sarah and Willy are so generous, kind, welcoming and thoughtful. There are teas and cakes on arrival, complimentary chocolates, choice of hot drinks, brandy and homemade damson vodka for guests to enjoy, luxury toiletries, and coffee/tea brought to the room in the morning. Everything is so laid back that there isn't a strict breakfast time either (as Sarah said, as long as you get up before 12). Sarah and Willy are also extremely helpful in booking restaurant/taxi/giving a lift for us, which they don't HAVE TO do. All this came with a very reasonable room rate. We felt extremely at home at Brook Farm and were really sorry to leave. It is at No 1 of my recommendation list for a beautiful English rural retreat.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Y S
Sarahwint, Owner at Brook Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Well, what can I say?! Thank you! And all that even after Willy dropped you at the wrong pub! We both really appreciate your very flattering review thank you so much. Sarah.