“Nice stay at a beautiful old inn”
Review of The Fountain Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tenbury Wells
The Fountain Inn
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Fountain Inn has tremendous roadside appeal; a beautiful black and white 17th century farmhouse and Inn - with the sun shining on the white paint and the brightly coloured flower baskets etc it really is a lovely building. There is a large carpark to one side.

The meal we had in the pub on the evening of our stay was excellent, as was the breakfast in the morning.

The new managers, who have been at the Fountain now for about 3 or 4 months I think at the time of writing, are nice people and obviously keen to give the place a new lease of life. The rooms themselves are in a separate annexe at the back of the Inn. Our double ensuite was nice enough and perfectly adequate, if a little tired looking, but when we stayed there was a sheet of paper left in the room asking for feedback and suggestions from guests about how to make improvements before they embark upon some redecoration/renovation of the rooms. I can't vouch for other rooms but looking at the website, some of the rooms have been decorated already.

Quite a few of the guests when we stayed were all attending the same party for someone living locally and upon realising we were all going to the same place nearby, the landlord was even kind enough to offer to drive us en masse to and from the party, which was jolly decent of him to do so.

Locally there are a few National Trust and English Heritage places to visit - Stokesay Castle (EH) , Berrington Hall (NT), the small ruined White Ladies Priory (NT) are each only about 20-30 minutes away. Tenbury Wells itself is nice and Ludlow is not far.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay again if the situation arose.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Fountain Inn some eight years back when we attended a local wedding so it seemed sensible to stay there again as we were visiting the same friends. At the time of our visit it had been under new management for some six weeks and we met them as we were booking out. The rooms in the purpose built block were the same as our last visit, in fact, by chance, we were given the same room. Nothing had changed. The new management acknowledge that decor, and no doubt furniture, has to change and one is asked to leave recommendations and views to make your stay more pleasant. So go and stay there now and you could help them and influence their decisions making your next stay even better. We suggested larger towels but appreciated the manner in which the towels were presented on the bed with the toiletries. As so frequently crops up in my reviews my wife seeks a large mirror and a plug nearby for the hairdryer, she had no reason to complain at the Fountain Inn. The size and height of the shower head needs to be larger and higher unless you are vertically challenged.

An excellent choice of breakfast at a reasonable price even if it were not included in the overnight rate.

If Wi-Fi is important to you, be careful, they are having problems with a well known large supplier and it might be a few more weeks before it is up and running. It would be free if they could make it available to you. The Management has my total sympathy!

We would certainly return and thank the new management for recognising the deficiencies and seeking the legitimate views of guests.

I wish the new management every success.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Ok I'll be honest and say it's been years since I last went to the Fountain for a drink, let alone a meal. We're talking shark tank days! Had a few bad experiences before the Fountain went 'dark' and never went back, even though I passed it almost every week. Well for a friends birthday we couldn't find anywhere open for lunch on a Monday so as a shot in the dark I suggested the Fountain.

Glad I did too, outstanding service from a friendly couple who I imagine own the place and excellent value for money food. Everything was fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. I had an excellent three egg omelette, salad and chips for £5.50!!!! Friends ploughman's were classic English pub food but with masses of cheeses and chunks of fresh bread.

I'm sorry I've driven passed it for over seven years, my mistake and I urge everyone not to make the same mistake. Stop, enjoy a meal and the professional friendly service. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Apollo1961
Reviewed 8 June 2014

My partner and I tried the fountain last night with any special high hopes as we jut called in for some pub grub and boy were we wrong !!! This is a must try place for food it was unbelievable the chicken satay in peanut butter inperticular AMAZING !!! Both out main were delicious (apart from the hair in the 1/2 a pound steak burger normally u would say the hair is inexcusable in any good place but on account on how lovley the food was we didn't say anything)
But apart from that we will be back again and again
Staff also very welcoming and lovley thanks everyone !

• Stayed: June 2014
Fountain123, Owner at The Fountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2014

A great review from our first week as new management here at the Fountain Inn, please note that any reviews before this date are not a reflection on our team here and we hope to confinue to provide geat food and great service in our beautiful 18th century pub.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

accommodation modern ,clean and to a good std. bedrooms are located in purpose built block to rear of a very imposing oldy worldy pub. modernisation has been kept in keeping with the style and not spoilt a traditional atmosphere, Food ,hit and miss on several points but overall a pleasant and satisfying break.

Room Tip: all are of a good std.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Called in for a pint and late lunch on a bank holiday Sunday, there was a function on and we were advised there would be a delay which was fine. The food when it arrived was nice and very reasonably priced, the bar area seems very sterile and does not really match the exterior but the Hobsons was a nice pint and the staff were very friendly although stressed. The garden an play area were very clean and great for the kids.

Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed for 1 night, the rooms were on the small side but very nicely decorated and furnished.
We ate in the Inn and the food we had was very good and reasonably priced, we both had the Mushroom Stroganoff, mine with rice and my husbands with chips, we both also had the Lemon Sponge which was very light and tasty.
The breakfast in the morning was of a good standard and had nice sausage not cheap nasty ones like some places we have stayed.
Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: all rooms are separate from the Inn, so don't think there will be any 'good' or 'bad...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business