Tigh Na Leigh
US$105
Royal Hotel(Blairgowrie)
US$105
US$102
Bridge of Cally Hotel(Bridge of Cally)
US$101
  • Breakfast included
Ivybank Lodge(Blairgowrie)
Kinloch House(Blairgowrie)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsguest houseperfect hostsspa bathfour posterattention to detailhigh standardperfect stayidaho fallstv loungefresh fruitevening mealplaces to visittop classeggs benedictblood orangerelaxing weekendfirst class
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Thank you for your kindness and excellent stay with you room was very clean and the food was lovely i wasnt well when I was there and Bettina gave us a simple food tray of oat cakes and cheese for our room on the saturday night which much appreciated .
(with cough mixture )
Hilda Massie

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Of all the places we have stayed, this one is most memorable. Our hosts, Bettina and Chris, made our stay one we will remember for a long time. This sophisticated B and B, set in beautiful gardens, is a must if you intend going to this part of Scotland. It is ideally located as a hub to explore the many sites in this beautiful area. Great breakfasts and dinners cooked professionally by Chris and served by Bettina.

1  Thank Dawn R
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Even the best B&B can be ruined by rude & unwelcoming hosts. The background is that when my husband made our booking for 1 night's stay, the hosts Bettina & Chris said that they only take bookings for 2 nights minimum, but if we had dinner at their B&B on the night of our stay, then 1 night was fine. That was great for us, so we agreed. They emailed my husband a menu the month before our trip saying to let them know our order by noon of the day of our arrival. We planned to let them know once we were in Scotland, closer to the time.

We had been in the highlands for 9 days and unfortunately throughout this time had no access to internet, nor did we even have phone reception. We had both purchased UK vodafone pre-paid SIM cards in London for our iphones at the start of our trip but they unfortunately only worked when we were in London and did not work at all in the Scottish highlands - kept saying we had run out of credit when we hadn't even used the phones to call anyone. We could not contact the B&B and honestly (and mistakenly) assumed that as we had not given them our preferred meals, we would just eat whatever they had on hand for us.

We arrived at about 6pm and were greeted by Bettina. The first thing she said after verifying who we were was "Well there's no dinner for you as you didn't let me know what you wanted to eat". We said we were sorry and explained to her that we had had no access to email. She said "Well you could have called." We then explained to her that unfortunately our UK vodafone SIMs had been useless in Scotland and we could not make calls to anyone except apparently each other. We said we were sorry about what had happened, and hoped the issue had been laid to rest. In any case, to just set her mind at ease that we were not trying to get out of paying for dinner, I said that it was such a pity since we'd had a hectic day and I had really been looking forward to a lovely dinner at their beautiful B&B. Bettina replied "Well you should have called".

In the interests of keeping things friendly when we got to the room I said how lovely it was etc. Bettina then gave us suggestions on where to have dinner. She started with a posh place where we would need to make bookings and dress up, so I asked if she could suggest somewhere nearby & simple as were tired and wanted to get back quickly to enjoy the lovely room. She then snapped at me that this was a small town and to let her finish. I was shocked and completely taken aback. At this point I walked away, unable to carry on the conversation with her, and left my husband to listen to the rest of her dinner venues. The room was very nice. The bathroom though smelled of stale pee and did not have a proper shower (only a bath). Very nice window in the bathroom where you can see the sky.

We met whom I presume to be the other host Chris the next morning at breakfast. He never introduced himself. If I thought that Bettina was rude, I clearly had not met Chris. My husband Mark was at the buffet table at breakfast looking for milk for our cereal when a man marched in carrying a jug. Mark asked him if that was the milk. The man did not answer, just made a gesture with his hands towards the jug and then stormed back into the kitchen. Shortly afterwards the same man came out to take our hot food order. He still did not introduce himself or even say hello. He stood about a metre and a half away from the table with his hands folded in front of him and asked what I wanted to eat. He was glaring at me as he said this. It was like something out of a movie honestly. I got really flustered and looked down at the menu. I chose the omelette where there was a choice of many fillings. I hadn't read it before this so I just read out the fillings I wanted as I read them. I ended up ordering all the fillings except tomatoes. The man looked at me condescendingly and said "So you want everything except cherry tomatoes" and I said "yes" and he made an exasperated noise like I was an idiot. He then proceeded to take Mark's order with the same exasperated pissed off we are putting him out attitude and marched back into the kitchen. I thought he was going to spit in our food.

It was a truly awful experience, a sour end to the last night of our holiday. We felt so unwelcome, and just wanted to get out of there as soon as we could. We understand that yes we should have given them our dinner order beforehand, but we did not foresee the complete inability to communicate by modern means in the Scottish highlands. We thought we'd just make do with whatever they'd made us - we did not know they would make nothing and then be unacceptably rude. We had apologised. It was the most expensive B&B of the trip (130 pounds a night), and not the nicest. If you are going to price yourself higher than nicer B&Bs with far superior views, then you have to be more professional and understand that sometimes misunderstandings happen and things cannot always work according to everyone's best intentions.

8  Thank Lalarajah
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife & I stayed two nights and had a wonderful time - great food, excellent room and Chris and Bettina, the owners, could not have been more hospitable. Without a doubt the best guest house we have stayed in and the best place we stayed in during an eight day tour of the north of Scotland. We were sad to leave, but will definitely return to Tigh Na Leigh for short breaks. It was totally relaxing experience.

Room Tip: They are probably all good. Ours was on the ground floor and is a lovely room, but the suite on the top floor looked great - we would book that next time!
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My partner and I had an overnight stay recently as a birthday treat for her, our only regret was that we didn't stay longer!

The room was super comfy and had some lovely touches like a jacuzzi bath, iPhone dock and the fresh fruit we thought was very considerate.

On the whole the house is stunning and spotlessly clean. On to the gardens, well wow! Very functional nicely kept, I do like a nice garden.

Both dinner and breakfast were cooked to perfection, the Canadian was a welcome alternative!

The proprietors were really nice and down to earth, nothing seemed to be an issue, their knowledge of good food & drink seemed endless....

....I promise to bring a bottle of my Sloe Gin next time.

Till then.