“Why all the poor reviews?”

Milton Hill, Abingdon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Steventon
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Why all the poor reviews?”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here as a cracking deal for a night with a work colleague.

Saw some reveiws and like Andrew - thought what do we expect.

No need to worry - a beautiful hotel, great facilities, rooms are great, the garden wing is fine! Rooms well looked after.

Free wi fi - no issues, food and drink reasonable and good selection.

Nice gym, pool and steam room

Well looked after by the team. They even printed some items free for me, thank you.

My colleague Lynda enjoyed the white wine and the team supported her drinking requirements.

Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Garden wing is fine!
1 Thank trevorLeeds
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your review.
I am so pleased you had an enjoyable stay and that my team looked after you so well.
I hope we can see you again in the future.
Gavin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I booked this hotel because it was cheap but was a little sceptical after reading the reviews, I shouldn't have been. Some have said their is a 'maze of corridors to the bedrooms' or it is a 'long walk from reception'. This long walk is approximately 3 minutes with signposts through the maze on EVERY wall. If you do not wish to brave this adventure, or have heavy bags in your car, you can actually drive around the hotel and there is another car park right outside the doors to the bedrooms.

People are correct that the garden wing, where the vast majority of bedrooms are, is indeed very ugly from the outside and the corridors are a little drab but standard but as I was unable to see the outside of the building from my bedroom this was hardly an issue (my view was of the fantastic grounds).If you want a nice exterior and lovely corridors then either book the manor house bedrooms or this is not the place for you. However the bedroom was a pleasant surprise, clean, modern and comfortable. The only criticism was the shower which whilst fine could have done with more pressure, other than that it was great.

I would probably have only given the hotel 4 stars as whilst it was good and great value and I would happily stay there again it was not amazing. I gave it 5 starts as a protest against the ridiculous criticisms regarding the walk from reception to bedroom through a maze. In summery if you want a beautiful looking hotel for a magical weekend away this probably isn't it, if you are visiting the Oxford area and want somewhere clean, with a nice room with everything you need I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: If you want a pretty exterior book the manor house, if not then the garden wing is fine on the insid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your review.
I it is so refreshing to read such a balanced review and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
Many thanks
Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed for 3 glorious days where the Staff could not do enough for me. The room in the annex was clean, tidy and well maintained, the bed comfortable and the pillows just right. The food at each meal was of a high standard and plentiful. The gym, although small, was adequate and the same must be said of the indoor pool.
The grounds were ample and well worth a walk around before the evening meal. I would not hesistate to recommend this hotel to all.

Room Tip: The annex rooms were quiet and a short walk from the bar.
Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your lovely review.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your break with us, I very much hope we can look after you again in the future.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Like many De Vere hotels, the grounds are beautiful.

The meeting facilities are great, with unlimited drinks and snacks throughout the day.

And the pool/ gym/ sauna were great too - ideal after a few long days at a conference.

Things that needed to be improved:
- Shower pressure was awful - turning the shower head upside down stopped any water from coming out!
- The room safe was out of batteries
- The bathroom handle was broken
- I couldn't leave the window open without it slamming shut

Would I stay again? Yes, but I'd check the room before unpacking my case.

Room Tip: Check everything works before unpacking your clothes.
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
I am sorry that you experienced maintenance issues with your room; I am pleased to report that all of these issues have been resolved.
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here this weekend as we were attending a wedding in the area. Got a good reduced rate and as we really only needed a bed for the night we've got no complaints. Room was comfortable and staff were friendly.

As other people have noted the garden wing is a spectacularly ugly building and if we'd come here for a weekend break I think we'd have been pretty disappointed.

Breakfast was ok. A buffet will never be as good as freshly cooked but it was fine with everything you could want.

Like a lot of these places most of the hotel was pretty bland with plenty of beige and grey on show.

We wouldnt make a special trip to come to this hotel but if you need somewhere to stay in the area I'm so you could do worse.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your comments.
I am sorry that you were underwhelmed with Milton Hill. I hope that if you come again you will have the time to see the areas of the hotel that are not so similar as the other hotels in the area.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We were delighted to find this hotel for our daughter's wedding reception, the staff were excellent, and the establishment was perfect for us.
Having reserved the date we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant before booking the reception (we didn't stay at the hotel). We are very glad that we tried the food, it was the best £70 we ever spent! The food is not restaurant quality the sirloin steak was the worst steak we ever had and the chef's speciality slow cooked beef daube is more akin to hospital food. It wasn't even average, the starter and main course were the worst food we have ever been served and we didn't bother with dessert.
We are really are so disappointed :(

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rozogor
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

A girlie catch up weekend. We were blessed with weather do say outside and enjoyed the views. Made good use of the pool, the gym was a little disappointing. Menu choice could have been better but other than that it was superb. Will be returning.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your feedback.
I am glad you all enjoyed your weekend..
Gavin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Steventon
De Vere Oxford Thames
Oxford Witney Hotel
Oxford Witney Hotel
#4 of 7 in Witney
Hampton by Hilton Oxford Hotel

Been to Milton Hill, Abingdon? Share your experiences!