“Attended a wedding & had a lovely time. ”

Milton Hill, Abingdon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Steventon
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Myself, husband & 10 month old attended a wedding here. We could not fault the staff as they couldn't do enough for us. The grounds & venue for a wedding is fantastic, we were really impressed. The grounds were lovely & we received great service. The room was lovely although the 'garden rooms' were not as impressive as they sound & look dated from outside. This is in need of a face lift! There were refurbishments occurring with the hotel but no signs were up notifying you of this so a 5minute walk to the loo resulted in going back on myself & finding portaloos. The rooms were extremely warm but we requested a fan and this did the job. Great breakfast & if we were in the area again we would stay.

Stayed: August 2014
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely comments.
I am pleased you all enjoyed the wedding celebrations and look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Gavin

Write a ReviewReviews (1,166)

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I'm so disheartened by our two night stay that it's unbelievable. Instead of going through the whole fiasco I'll just highlight:

When booking in make sure that you register a Credit Card. This way, when your eating in the restaurant you will not be subjected to rude Maître-d slapping a bill on your table and demanding payment - WHILST you've got your desert spoon half way to your mouth, taking your last bite!

When you reach your room for the first time knock before you enter. Otherwise you may get the same surprise that we did - It was already somebody else's room.

The toilet only flushed intermittently

Given a used champagne glass at dinner (it had a fresh lipstick mark) - the waitress brought the glasses with the bottle when we ordered.

Given a cracked cup at breakfast. Now this is not pretty, but it's not the end of the world. Anyway, when the coffee was poured the crack was so bad it came straight out of the bottom; all over my husbands full breakfast plate.

A very kind waiter brought us a pot of tea to our breakfast table. On pouring the tea he noticed that it was a little weak so he PICKED UP MY KNIFE, STIRRED THE POT OF TEA WITH IT, USED MY NAPKIN TO DRY IT, AND THEN PUT IT BACK DOWN NEXT TO MY PLATE ready for me to use for my breakfast!

There was a massive screw sticking up out of the floor in the bathroom. When I went to climb into the shower I stood on it and punctured the bottom of my foot.

The safe did not work

The plug socket in the room did not work

The room card had to be taken back to reception on the second day, as it was only approved for one night.

No air conditioning or fan in the room. The temperature gauge read 104F. Bottom floor room so couldn't leave windows open.

Never any answer from reception when ringing them.

No fridge in room. Tea and Coffee facility in room, but only water option to fill the kettle is the bathroom taps.

In the morning the cleaning staff knocked once and entered. They did not wait for an answer or for me to get to the door. Because of the temperature and early morning, I was naked on top of the covers in bed - Totally unacceptable.

Eating dinner in the restaurant - the staff started wheeling huge round tables around us, also moving chairs - then started shouting backwards and forwards to the kitchen.

We had a 'Special Discounted Price' of £90 per night because we were part of a wedding party (we booked direct over the telephone). Found out that other members of the party booked online for £62.50 per night.

We travelled a long way expecting a lovely stay. It was dirty, staff were terribly rude, and very under trained. We would definitely not recommend this hotel..

Room Tip: Do not stay in the separate building around the back - truly a nightmare
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Phenj
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I am deeply saddened by the bad experience you received in the restaurant during both Breakfast and dinner.

Firstly please let me apologises for the issues you encountered in there and also within the hotel.

Please let me assure you that the issues you have commented on will be addressed as matter of urgency and as such we will be revisiting all training procedures with all staff members.

I will be personally overseeing these training sessions to ensure that the service and standards we expect our staff to deliver to our guests is being adhered to.

All the issues you have raised are totally unacceptable in any venue especially one such as ours which prides itself on great customer service and standards.

If you would like to contact me personally to discuss these matters further please feel free but please rest assured these matters will be dealt with and not just brushed aside as we take all feedback positive and negative very seriously in order to constantly improve our service.

Yours truly,

Andy Heaney
Food and Beverage Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lovely looking hotel & grounds, nice pool, steam room etc, but rooms very dated, didn't feel special. Would recommend for a spa day. Not sure I would stay over again. Breakfast was great, plenty of choice, hot food very nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Guest

I’m glad you enjoyed our facilities but am sad you weren’t so keen on your room but thank you for leaving a balanced review.

Regards

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Considering De Vere tout themselves as understanding Trainers needs and offering a trainers club (which staff seemed to be unaware of what that provides), it was a poor experience. Most of the bar staff/restaurant staff were inexperienced. Walking out into the garden carrying food and shouting out the order is unacceptable. Forgetting to bring cutlery is unacceptable (it's basic stuff right?!). Waiting 10 mins at bar is unacceptable. Putting a trainer in a room above noisy bar is not good. Rooms had no air con and a piddly desk fan doesn't cut it in the recent heat. Providing a training room next to toilets being refurbished is not acceptable and the portacabin toilets reeked after being in the sun a few days! All in all a very poor show from De Vere venues.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.

My Conference Manager will be in touch shortly to discuss your stay in more detail.
Regards

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We needed a hotel near Abingdon,we booked two months in advance and stayed three nights with breakfast,not a large room but big enough for the two of us,staff were all pleasant,as well as tea and coffee in the room there are machines around the hotel where you can make a hot drink any time and it is free,the scrambled egg at buffet breakfast is lovely,I have not had tomato juice with breakfast before but it was good as well.We were lucky with the weather,the grounds of the hotel are large if you want to walk or jog.We will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the rear of the hotel for a view of the fields,squirrrels and rabbits running...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely review.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Hotel nicely decorated inside and we were in the Gable cottage in a very nice room. The oustide, in my opinion is in need of a bit of touching up - a bit scruffy in parts and the garden is not as well cared for as it could be (not overgrown but a bit plain). The Garden block is (as has been said in previous reviews) a bit of an eyesore but they seem to be trying to disguise it by growing ivy etc up the walls - if they grow ivy all over horizontally as well as vertically up the walls then It will look much better. Anyway despite that - hotel is very comfortable and easy going. Breakfast was great - a good selection and we also had an evening meal which was very nice. The free coffee and biscuits around the hotel was a nice added extra (the biscuits were not available or stocked up at night or at least did not seem to be ).

We asked for a quiet room and were allocated the Gable Cottage Room 304 and I think in ordinary circumstances it would have been fine but because it was so hot we had to have the windows open all night and we could hear a bit of road noise and also a fan or generator going somewhere nearby (not really the hotels fault I guess but a bit annoying none the less_ I think with the windows shut it would not have been so much of an issue) . We were glad of a window on either side of the room however, which afforded a nice breeze.

The actual location of the hotel is not particularly picturesque as it is located near the Didcot Power Station which cannot be seen from the hotel or grounds but once in the hotel there are nice grounds and it is great in the evening to be able to sit out on comfy seats with a drink taking in the atmosphere.

Overall a good place - if you are looking for a place to stay near Oxford and are not particularly bothered about it not being in a picture postcard location - then I suggest you give it a try.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.
I’m glad you enjoyed your stay during some glorious summer weather. I’m sure you’ll agree that once in the hotel grounds the scenery is beautiful and as you mention we are very conveniently located for lots of local attractions as well as the dreaming spires of Oxford.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Just back from one night including 3 course meal and wine and breakfast. Excellent value for money.
Stayed in the main house overlooking the fantastic grounds. Best bed and pillows I've ever encountered in a hotel. Only downsides were the lack of air con (but understand we don't normally have this heat wave!) And the bathroom could have fine with a better clean...water marks everywhere and mouldy grout and shelves in shower.
Couldnt fault food or service.
Such a fan hotel in a gorgeous setting. Would recommend.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review.
I’m so pleased you were able to relax whilst with us.
The issues you raise have been addressed by Housekeeping and Maintenance.

Gavin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Steventon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
#8 of 44 in Oxford
Hawkwell House Hotel
Hawkwell House Hotel
#19 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Milton Hill, Abingdon? Share your experiences!