“Nice Hotel”

Milton Hill, Abingdon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Steventon
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stay one night on 8 August. We passed by A43 and it was near bed time, we decided to stay overnight at Didcot Service area. Premier Inn was full and the staff recommend this hotel. We got a room. The room was spacious, clean and well equipped. The staff was fine.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
I look forward to seeing you again when you have more time to spend in the area.
Regards

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and my room was out by Gables Cottage. It was an absolute mission to get there and far from the main hotel. The room was damp and had hardly any lighting. The wardrobe door didn't close and the bed and pillows were hard and uncomfortable. We were also given the wrong room and when I went to the main reception to query this the staff were extremly unhelpful and rude. They wouldn't help and brushed us to the side.
The food in the restaraunt was not worth the money we paid and the breakfast in the morning was cold!

I'm very disappointed with the service that was provided and will not be going back again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank RThotel94

Dear Guest
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience whilst staying with us.

I am most keen to learn more about your stay so that I can make the necessary improvements for future guests, if you could take a few minutes to contact me directly I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It would be fair to say that we had a mixed experience of the hotel. Read on as there is some good feed-back!

Firstly we got it on a greatly reduced room rate, just £25 for the night, otherwise I suspect we may have been more disappointed. I can concur with the previous review regarding giving them a credit card in advance. We chose to stay for breakfast and paid cash the evening before. The following morning we came back to find a bill pushed under the door for the cost of the breakfast. We did manage to sort it out with reception but we felt that they thought we were trying to diddle them as they hadn't given us a receipt and they had to go to the back office to search for the cash. Luckily they found it but not sure what they would have done if they hadn't! Also agree that not having air conditioning in a hotel of this calibre is not good. We were told afterwards we could have asked for a fan but this was too little too late.

We were also disappointed not to have a room in the main house but were in an annexe that looked like a hideous 60s pre-fab concrete building. Apparently all De Vere hotels are in country houses and many of them have the majority of their accommodation in separate buildings but we weren't aware of this when we booked and didn't see anything on their web site to this effect.

On the plus side the staff were all very friendly and we had a cream tea on arrival which was excellent and the breakfast was good as well.

I would stay there again but only if we got another good deal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ParqueTropical
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
I am sorry that there was such confusion with your breakfast charges. My Front of House Manager will be investigating to ensure future transactions are carried out in the correct manner.

When booking our website does detail the garden wing and that the majority of our rooms are in a separate annex, I am sorry if this wasn’t clear for you.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Attended a wedding on 1st August
Beautiful old hotel with huge grounds
Staff were very friendly and so on the ball with regards to the wedding and all service

Room was modern, pretty small but adequate for us for the night.
No hair dryer which surprised me and no tea and coffee making facilities in our room which would have been nice thought there were tea and coffee stations in other parts of the hotel
Pretty thin walls/floors as we were woken up at 03.15 and 06.30 by somebody above us stomping around.
Breakfast the next morning was the usual buffet style and was plentiful
Have to say the Italian gardens certainly need work on all the beds
Seth, unsure if I have spelt his name correctly was on the ball, very good at his job.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.
It is surprising to read there were neither hairdryer or coffee making facilities in your room, my housekeeping team wile b auditing all rooms today to make sure this is not the case in future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Lovely room. Old fashioned but quaint. Beautiful settings. Stunning manor house features. Had a pleasant night stay. Very professional staff. Attentive and polite. Delicious breakfast.

Only criticism was (and it's a minor point) the shower pull lever was extremely hard to pull up. Someone without my ninja grip would not have been able to operate it. On the positive side though, I could have easily taken a bath instead.

Will happily stay again.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments.
Its lovely to read that you had such a nice stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Myself, husband & 10 month old attended a wedding here. We could not fault the staff as they couldn't do enough for us. The grounds & venue for a wedding is fantastic, we were really impressed. The grounds were lovely & we received great service. The room was lovely although the 'garden rooms' were not as impressive as they sound & look dated from outside. This is in need of a face lift! There were refurbishments occurring with the hotel but no signs were up notifying you of this so a 5minute walk to the loo resulted in going back on myself & finding portaloos. The rooms were extremely warm but we requested a fan and this did the job. Great breakfast & if we were in the area again we would stay.

Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to leave your lovely comments.
I am pleased you all enjoyed the wedding celebrations and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I'm so disheartened by our two night stay that it's unbelievable. Instead of going through the whole fiasco I'll just highlight:

When booking in make sure that you register a Credit Card. This way, when your eating in the restaurant you will not be subjected to rude Maître-d slapping a bill on your table and demanding payment - WHILST you've got your desert spoon half way to your mouth, taking your last bite!

When you reach your room for the first time knock before you enter. Otherwise you may get the same surprise that we did - It was already somebody else's room.

The toilet only flushed intermittently

Given a used champagne glass at dinner (it had a fresh lipstick mark) - the waitress brought the glasses with the bottle when we ordered.

Given a cracked cup at breakfast. Now this is not pretty, but it's not the end of the world. Anyway, when the coffee was poured the crack was so bad it came straight out of the bottom; all over my husbands full breakfast plate.

A very kind waiter brought us a pot of tea to our breakfast table. On pouring the tea he noticed that it was a little weak so he PICKED UP MY KNIFE, STIRRED THE POT OF TEA WITH IT, USED MY NAPKIN TO DRY IT, AND THEN PUT IT BACK DOWN NEXT TO MY PLATE ready for me to use for my breakfast!

There was a massive screw sticking up out of the floor in the bathroom. When I went to climb into the shower I stood on it and punctured the bottom of my foot.

The safe did not work

The plug socket in the room did not work

The room card had to be taken back to reception on the second day, as it was only approved for one night.

No air conditioning or fan in the room. The temperature gauge read 104F. Bottom floor room so couldn't leave windows open.

Never any answer from reception when ringing them.

No fridge in room. Tea and Coffee facility in room, but only water option to fill the kettle is the bathroom taps.

In the morning the cleaning staff knocked once and entered. They did not wait for an answer or for me to get to the door. Because of the temperature and early morning, I was naked on top of the covers in bed - Totally unacceptable.

Eating dinner in the restaurant - the staff started wheeling huge round tables around us, also moving chairs - then started shouting backwards and forwards to the kitchen.

We had a 'Special Discounted Price' of £90 per night because we were part of a wedding party (we booked direct over the telephone). Found out that other members of the party booked online for £62.50 per night.

We travelled a long way expecting a lovely stay. It was dirty, staff were terribly rude, and very under trained. We would definitely not recommend this hotel..

Room Tip: Do not stay in the separate building around the back - truly a nightmare
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Phenj
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I am deeply saddened by the bad experience you received in the restaurant during both Breakfast and dinner.

Firstly please let me apologises for the issues you encountered in there and also within the hotel.

Please let me assure you that the issues you have commented on will be addressed as matter of urgency and as such we will be revisiting all training procedures with all staff members.

I will be personally overseeing these training sessions to ensure that the service and standards we expect our staff to deliver to our guests is being adhered to.

All the issues you have raised are totally unacceptable in any venue especially one such as ours which prides itself on great customer service and standards.

If you would like to contact me personally to discuss these matters further please feel free but please rest assured these matters will be dealt with and not just brushed aside as we take all feedback positive and negative very seriously in order to constantly improve our service.

Yours truly,

Andy Heaney
Food and Beverage Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Steventon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
Oxford Witney Hotel
#4 of 7 in Witney
Crowne Plaza Heythrop Park - Oxford
Macdonald Randolph Hotel

Been to Milton Hill, Abingdon? Share your experiences!