“Nice hotel but a little dated.”

Milton Hill, Abingdon
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Steventon
Reviewed 17 August 2014

the reception staff were very efficient but the chairs and sofas were stained and filthy, we check in and went to our room,very clean and comfortable, the spa was lovely the steam room and pool were a nice size, there's free coffee and tea through out your stay and also fruit, we eat here but went around the corner where there was a pub, the grounds were very clean and garden area was nice in the evening all lit up. a nice stay but could do with modernising,

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your comments.

I am glad you had a good stay with us. It is fair to say the Reception sofa cushions are marked; they are however clean, just marked by sunlight coming through the skylights. They will be replaced I the very near future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Things didn't get off to the best of starts when walking from the car to the hotel entrance we saw a huge rat.

Upon check in, the staff were polite enough however we discovered our room wasn't ready despite us checking in at around 7pm.

After waiting 45mins our room still wasn't ready and we were quite fed up. We decided to put our bags back into the car, go eat and return later to try checking in again.

We returned at around 11pm and thankfully our room was ready. The room itself was clean, comfortable and I enjoyed a good nights sleep. However the bathroom door was stuck and in order to get in, I had to shoulder barge it. I felt this was the best course of action rather than risk waiting another 45mins for the reception staff to take action.

Wouldn't recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daniel S

Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your comments.
I am sorry that your room wasn’t ready, this clearly isn’t acceptable and I will be discussing the issues with my housekeeping team.

We have had rodent visitor in the grounds and please be assured that whilst we are situated in open parkland and do occasionally get the odd unwanted wild guest, the necessary arrangements have already been made to ensure only paying guests stay inn future!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The staff were incredibly helpful with my husband who is currently disabled. The room we had was spacious enough for the wheelchair and spotlessly clean. Sheree in the restaurant remembered us from our last stay months ago. The grounds are gorgeous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your review.
It’s always lovely to read reviews from returning guests, Sheree will be delighted you were so pleased.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I visited this hotel for a friends 70th birthday weekend as a surprise. Although it was January it was quite mild and the day we arrived the sun was shining, we met up with family and friends in the pub just down the road and then we spent most of the weekend at the hotel. We used their spa facilities which were reasonably priced and we hadn't pre-booked so were really please that they could fit us in. Only downside about the joint massage was the room, it had too many windows and the floor really creaked, but the massage was good. The gym is quite small but the pool, jacuzzi & sauna and steam room were lovely. The original part of the hotel has some amazing rooms as many of the guests were in these and I got to see them. Very spacious and comfortable, however there is an annexe with lower grade cheaper rooms, which is a bit of a walk but there is a car park at back next to these rooms and the rooms are OK, a little dated, but still have everything that you need, iron, ironing board, hairdryer etc. Service is good at the hotel, all staff are friendly and helpful and I particularly liked the coffee stations dotted around, however I couldn't work out why sometimes they were stocked and sometimes they were empty, not sure if they provide the coffee stations at certain times of the day, should of asked really! Breakfast was hot and tasty buffet style and reception were very helpful. The bar was a little prices but well stocked and the meal with had on the evening was very tasty and the room was adequate for our party size. On the Sunday morning we walked around the grounds which was very peaceful. All in all a relaxing enjoyable weekend break and would definitely return.

Room Tip: If your staying in the lower cost rooms in the annex check in at reception, then drive your car roun...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for finding the time to leave your review.

I am glad the surprise weekend was a relaxing one and we hope that you will be able to return again at some point in the future.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

One of the worse experiences ever. Our room was very hot with no air conditioning so had to leave open the single glazed windows then suffered noise next morning which disturbed our sleep as did the none insulated room. There was no complementary water in the room. There was an iron in our room. The cable was badly kinked with the installation rubbed through which would not pass any safety inspection. The was no Hi-Fi available.
Our evening meal was very poor to say the least. My steak was over cooked and cold as was my onion rings which I sent back.
Breakfast followed the same theme, the "hot" food was cold, congealed, the beans serving spoon had hair in it and my cup was cracked. The dining room was dirty with food spilt on the walls, carpets and chairs filthy as was the cutlery. The service matched the hotel - very poor. We will not be back.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David S
Gavin W, General Manager at Milton Hill, Abingdon, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience whilst staying with us.

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with you, if you could take a few minutes to contact me directly I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stay one night on 8 August. We passed by A43 and it was near bed time, we decided to stay overnight at Didcot Service area. Premier Inn was full and the staff recommend this hotel. We got a room. The room was spacious, clean and well equipped. The staff was fine.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
I look forward to seeing you again when you have more time to spend in the area.
Regards

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and my room was out by Gables Cottage. It was an absolute mission to get there and far from the main hotel. The room was damp and had hardly any lighting. The wardrobe door didn't close and the bed and pillows were hard and uncomfortable. We were also given the wrong room and when I went to the main reception to query this the staff were extremly unhelpful and rude. They wouldn't help and brushed us to the side.
The food in the restaraunt was not worth the money we paid and the breakfast in the morning was cold!

I'm very disappointed with the service that was provided and will not be going back again.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank RThotel94

Dear Guest
I am sorry that you had such a bad experience whilst staying with us.

I am most keen to learn more about your stay so that I can make the necessary improvements for future guests, if you could take a few minutes to contact me directly I would be grateful.

Many thanks
Gavin

Also consider these accommodations in or near Steventon
Oxford Abingdon Hotel
#10 of 44 in Oxford
Hawkwell House Hotel
Hawkwell House Hotel
#18 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Milton Hill, Abingdon? Share your experiences!