“I agree with the previous reviewer.”
Review of Talbot arms

Talbot arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Uplyme
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Pub, Bar, British
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Bracknell, United Kingdom
“I agree with the previous reviewer.”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I followed a walking route out of Lyme Regis up to Uplyme and back which was to incorporate a lunch here Sat. 19th July. The girl behind the bar was busy at the other end but eventually told me she knew I was there. A woman I took to be the landlady continued her chinwag with a couple of locals(?) within arms reach of me by a table. It was just after midday and it was not busy and nobody was in the garden. I got a pint and a water and took the menu to a table by a massive TV, which was off,thankfully. Everything we touched was grubby and or sticky. We drank up and left. The place needs emptying and deep cleaning. Neither of us wanted to even look at the menu so I don't know what the food is like.

• Visited July 2014
talbotarms, Owner at Talbot arms, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear tony b,

Reading your review has been a painful experience for me. I am however, pleased to hear that the 'girl' as you refer to her behind the bar, was courteous enough to recognise your waiting.
Part of being a landlady means spending time talking to our locals, on this occasion we were discussing a rather sensitive and distressing situation of a family member. Not chinwagging which denotes idol gossip.
You made reference to the massive TV which was thankfully off. We are one of the few pubs in the area that provide the full range of sports channels, which is muchly appreciated and supported by visitors and locals alike. We realise that this isn't for everyone which is why the televisions (yes there are more of them!) remain off during food service.
We are always more than happy to receive constructive criticism from reviewers and in fact have made several changes to the service we provide following the comments received. However, I believe your comments regarding the cleanliness of the pub are unfair and can assure you we feel no need whatsoever to empty and deep clean the place.

Criticism tells lots about the critic and on this occasion we are sad that it seems we have differing views regarding our business.

With regards,
Wendy.

Cornwall, United Kingdom
“Not to be recommended”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Very unfriendly poor location difficult access from car park.
Do it yourself dirty pub.
Don't go there

Visited July 2014
talbotarms, Manager at Talbot arms, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Hi Peter C

I'm really sorry to hear that your time with us (all be it very short - as you didn't finish your drinks before leaving) was not enjoyable.

I'm disappointed to hear that you thought I was unfriendly towards you - if you are referring to the comment about dogs - as that's all we spoke about - I'm really sorry that dogs are not allowed in the bar but we feel that with the large amount of dogs that visit the area combined with lots of children and toddlers it would not be fair on the dogs or safe for the children to combine them in a small bar area. HOWEVER we have a large paddock on site next to the river where dogs are welcome, there is plenty of space to exercise them and we are happy to provide dog water bowls wherever necessary.

I understand you had difficulty with access from the car park - had you come across the bridge up the gentle slope to the front door there is just 3 steps to enter the bar and if you had struggled with that then we could have opened our top door where there is one small step up from the road outside. We will look into providing a bigger sign to highlight this to future customers.

As for your comment 'do it yourself dirty pub', I'm not sure what you mean by this - we are a country pub, we serve drinks and food - all orders are brought to your table, dessert orders are taken from your table, cutlery and condiments are all brought to you.... What exactly did you want us to do for you? I understand you won't have realised this as you didn't stay around long enough to sample any of our food, but if you look at previous reviews I hope you can imagine how nice and plentiful our dishes are.

Again we are sorry you didn't enjoy your time here, perhaps if you revisit without your dog we would be able to show you what we can really do

Thank you for taking the time to review.

Holly

Pp. Steve and Wendy
Jersey, Channel Islands
“Reasonable village local”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This popular pub offers Otters beers and is mainly set out for dining. There are two sections either side of the bar, both with dining tables. The menu lists standard pub fayre lasagne, steak pie, fish and chips, fishermans pie, etc and there's a specials board too on our visit this included steaks, pork, ham and eggs, etc.

We ordered a fillet steak and thought the additional £3.95 for a sauce was steep.

There's a nice outdoor area at the back and they have five B&B units. www.talbotarms.com

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jerseybean26
talbotarms, Manager at Talbot arms, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Hi jerseybean26,

Thank you for your kind review. As you say we do have the pub predominantly set out for dining, however we don't lay any of the tables and don't have any problem with people sitting just for drinks.

I'm sorry that you thought £3.95 for a homemade sauce was expensive. Our chef does make all of the sauces from scratch, to order, so I hope that will go some way to explaining the price.

We hope you will visit again,

Thanks

Holly

Pp. Steve and Wendy
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
“Lovely food, warm welcome”
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Bar staff very friendly. Food very good especially steaks. Warm fire and comfortable. Really take pub trade seriously. One to visit again.

1 Thank TheAngeM
Hamburg, Germany
“wedding party”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

had a fantastic wedding celebration here on 1st March, 2014 and a delicous sunday lunch the next day.

Visited March 2014