“An embarrasment for a Meridien Property”
Review of Le Meridien Kochi

Le Meridien Kochi
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Maradu
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I am an extreme worldwide traveler and I stay in many 4 and 5 star properties. I changed my hotel fom the new Holiday Inn Cochin(only room available a fw months ago and at half the price) and changed to this hotel (rooms became available) for a confernece that was taking place on the premise. What a mistake. This is a dingy and unkept property for such a high price. Upon check-in reception gave me two double beds although a King was booked. After demanding what as promised, they moved me to a much older room with a King. The room was dark, dingy and had a heavy smell of recent bug fumigation. I have no bone to pick here and do not understand the good reviews on this hotel, other than there is a huge difference between the renovated and unrenovated rooms. I m only stating the facts that the staff was very unwilling to accomodate my original request and stuck me in a very expensive and unacceptable room for the money. Take my advise, and dont waste your time or money at this property. FYI, I use this website often and find it useful however I never share my views, although I should start to comment on my many positive travel experiences. This is my first post as I feel this terrible experience warrants sharing with future travellers to Cochin.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bil S
AjitJose, Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

We thank you for taking your time in giving us your valuable feedback on your experience. It is very unfortunate that the hotel and the services during your stay with us did not reflect the quality you expected. Our sincere apology for the inconvenience caused during your stay with us. We would address the issue and resolve it at the earliest to cater to our guest the best service. We are currently undergoing renovation of the property which is aimed at giving our guest more options and the best product and experience in town. We have few renovated rooms which encompasses the latest design and technology and we have also scheduled the refurbishment of the lobby and our restaurants. We appreciate and understand your comments about the development and well being of the hotel. I am sure you will understand that we have full commitment to provide best services to our valued guests. Thank you again for your honest feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future. Wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Reviewed 25 January 2012

The rooms have been recently renovated and are cozy. The location of the hotel is perfect and the pool and Jacuzzi adds to the hotel s beauty. The ferry service is good too. The best time to be awake is early morning as the property looks fantastic. The service is a little slow, though the staff is very nice. Must try the south indian sea food at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
AjitJose, Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

We thank you for taking your time in giving us your valuable feedback on your experience. Thank you for your kind remarks on our property. Your continued patronage and suggestions are a vital part of our growth which will help us progress. We have taken up your advice seriously and will now give more emphasis on our services to meet the required level of international standards. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future. Wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

The stay at the hotel was very good! Especially the rooms, which I was told were recently renovated were very cosy and very well done, the bathroom and room separation was lovely. The pool was great with good separation for Kids, Jacuzzi and main pool area. The breakfast was the best of the stay at the hotel as the variety was very good and wide in range from local South Indian cuisine to Continental. Calm surrounding like lake and garden etc.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms facing pool, nice light and view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

We thank you for taking your time in giving us your valuable feedback on your experience. Thank you for your kind remarks on our property. Your continued patronage and suggestions are a vital part of our growth which will help us progress. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future. Wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

This hotel is located next to one of the Backwater Rivers which I liked the most. It has a main wing on one side of the river and another residential wing on the other bank. There is a ferry service provided by the hotel to move between the main wing and the residential wing (incase one is accommodated there). The ride takes around 10 minutes and is real cool. There is a lot of greenery around the hotel with coconut trees by the thousands. Early morning one can find people fishing on the banks of the backwater river. I tried angling too and was lucky to catch a couple of fishes. Infact the water is quite clear and in the sunshine the fishes can be easily seen. The service at the hotel is a little laid back, but welcoming. I also liked the sea food at the restaurants, especially those prepared in the local Kerala style.

Room Tip: Select a room in the residential complex on the other bank
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 December 2011

The staff were startlingly unhelpful. I called not once but three times for a doctor, and each time I was promised a call back which never arrived. Eventually I used the Yellow Pages in our room to find a doctor myself.

I asked for a Blackberry charger and specifically requested a new-generation version with a thin fitting. I was promised a call back; none came. However there was a knock at my door at 1.00am (!) with an old-generation charger with a thick fitting. I re-iterated that I needed a thin fitting but they said they did not have one and could not get one. This is not acceptable for a hotel that aims to cater to business guests.

The hotel was not helpful in assisting me with organising onward southbound transport from Kochi. I asked about buses and was told the choice was limited to a bus at 0130 or a chauffeured car; this is simply not true; buses leave the main bus station every 15 minutes.

I ordered a curry from room service and was surprised that it did not arrive with any rice/naan: I would have happily paid for it had I been prompted.

The variety of choices at breakfast was limited compared to other SPG hotels in India.

Reviewer ber357 is quite right: this hotel is not located near any tourist attractions in Kochi, nor to the business district in Ernakulam. The views are unspectacular, because the hotel is not well-located.

Overall, if you anticipate needing any assistance from hotel staff (as opposed to a serviceable room only), I would recommend against staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2011

This hotel is convenient for absolutely nothing that I'm aware of. It's a long auto rickshaw ride from Fort Kochi tourist attractions (or worse, a long and expensive ride in a hotel-provided car). Although it's "on the way" to the Kerala backwaters, it's still quite a distance from them. But I stayed for 3 nights. The first night I was in a Tower Suite. It sounded good, but not for me. The Tower suites are located in a building separate from the main hotel (and all its amenities); it's a boat ride away. When I was there a Siemens convention appeared to have taken over the whole of the Tower and a good part of the main hotel. The Tower 2-room suite I was given was very large, sparsely furnished, but with a 4X5 foot mirror facing the king size bed. Hmmm. The room itself was decorated in zebra-print. South India? The bed was very very comfortable. I would have called this the best night's sleep of my entire trip had I not been awakened by the phone ringing at 5:56 am. No one was on the other end and I never received an explanation for the call. The shower (no tub) was relatively dark, with poor lighting. The Tower building itself has no "lobby" as such. There was a man at a desk overseeing delivery of Siemens grab bags. On the plus side, I was able to breakfast outdoors on the lawn. On to days 2 and 3. I asked for and received a room in the main building. The room was smaller than the Towers suite, but nicer. The zebra prints were gone, replaced by nondescript contemporary and the room included a bathtub. Breakfast was nice, although nothing exceptional (and no outdoor dining as at the Tower). Housekeeping was a bit problematic. I left a wet washcloth in the tub when I left in the morning. When I returned at 10 pm the room had been made up but the washcloth was exactly where I had left it. Dry cleaning was returned promptly and was done well. Wake-up calls were timely.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The beautiful property overlooking the back waters of Kerala. The rooms open out to the back waters and is very sere to sit in the balcony and enjoy a cuppa.

Room Tip: Always ask for a room on the 5th floor. They are ones with a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maradu
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
#8 of 211 in Kochi (Cochin)
The Gateway Hotel Marine Drive Ernakulam
Ramada Resort Cochin
#1 of 1 in Kumbalam
Trident, Cochin
Trident, Cochin
#15 of 211 in Kochi (Cochin)

Been to Le Meridien Kochi? Share your experiences!