“2 Nights well spent”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Maradu
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
“2 Nights well spent”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The property is located near the backwaters away from the rush of the city. For the service i would give 5 stars. Smooth and convenient check in. I was auto upgraded into the next category of rooms which had a pool view. At other times as well, interacting with F&B staff I found theey were very courteous and had genuine interest in well being of the guest. Once my cab had reported to the hotel and I was conveyed the message by the restaurant staff. The next day, the Captain / Supervisor manager informed me that the restaurant was closing for breakfast and if he could offer me anything before that. Small things make a big difference. The hotel interiors are now getting dated and probably may need renovation soon. The wooden floor had marks which also showed signs of age. The toiletries were not replenished the next day, though I was carrying some spare from my previous travel. I also ordered for food on 2 nights. Food quality was excellent for Satay and Fish n Chips. The portion size was a bit lesser for the Satay I felt ( 4 sticks ). Overall I was impressed with the Food quality and Service. Five stars to Mr. Chandan Thakur & his team. Would love to come back.

Room Tip: Pool view rooms were excellent
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Guest,

We are grateful for your kind review that accolades our location, food quality and service.

Le Meridien Kochi is perfect to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy unsurpassed leisure facilities in a scenic ambience. At our hotel, our associates strive to attend to the needs of the guests, and it is great to receive an appreciation of their acumen in your review. While your heartening compliments have delighted the entire team, they have also taken a note of the slight concern in regards to the restocking of toiletries and would ensure that your next stay is bereft of any such discomfort.
Once again, thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback and letting us know about your pleasant experience. The entire team looks forward to your next visit.
Best Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The suite I had was an awesome one, overlooking the backwaters. Huge bathroom with a jacuzzi and separate shower. A complete high wooden roof. They gave us complimentary transfers to and from the airport. They tried their best to please.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Greetings of the day!
Located beside the palm-fringed backwaters, our hotel is a preferred choice among travelers from all over the globe. It is a pleasure to see that our amenities and impeccable service made your stay memorable and you found our offerings worth the value. Our team strives hard to make the stay comfortable for our patrons and your special acknowledgement has inspired them.
Thank you for your custom and recommending us to fellow travelers. You can also stay connected with us through Facebook and Twitter.

Best Regards
Kerala
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We stayed in a Deluxe Room in this hotel for one night in connection with a Company meeting. The facilities in the room was superb. TV, very good air conditioning, neat and spacious toilet and all other amenities. This is comparable with international standards. The auditorium where the meeting was done was also excellent, with good lighting, sound system etc-. But the food (Dinner) served was very poor. Not at all tasty, but also troublesome for our stomach. Due to the disturbances in the stomach due to bad food, we cannot enjoy the nice sleep in the room with good facilities. The breakfast was somewhat good but the wash place was situated away from dining which was inconvenient. I request the management to take good care on quality of food in the hotel as also many of my friends complained about it earlier. If it is not rectified, you may forget about this hotel.

Room Tip: No tip for rooms, but take care of food from this hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BARISHKOHINOOR
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Le Meridien, Kochi!

Many thanks for your patronage; it was a pleasure to be your host.

We are glad that our rooms and amenities were at par with your expectations and that you had a memorable sojourn. Our services are designed to meet the needs of business and leisure travelers and for people traveling solo. Your concern regarding the buffet has been noted and we ensure to improvise the menu.
We regret the inconvenience caused to you during your stay. The team in the kitchen is disappointed to know that you were not impressed with the quality of food served .I have shared your review with the departments concerned and assure you that the next time you visit us; you will notice a positive difference. We sincerely hope this one time experience will not deter you from visiting us again.
We request you to return to experience the changes and the additional services that we have planned, till then we wish you the best in all your discoveries around the globe.

Many thanks for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Community of Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights with friends on a holiday to kochi. Although the staff is very helpful, it seemed like they lacked direction from the management - dusty rooms and lack of skills to handle a bigger breakfast crowd. The food although great in taste was almost always served cold. Be it in room dining, the coffee shop or even the buffet dinner. The property has a old school charm to it. Don't stay in the towers. Ask for a room in the main block on a higher floor for a better view. Overall good experience but dining was a utter disappointment.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Le Meridien Kochi!
Thank you for sharing your review following your recent stay.
Although we are glad that you found our hotel fantastic, we regret we were unable to offer you a perfect stay experience. We have noted your concern regarding the service and assure you that appropriate action will be taken at the earliest. We would also like to inform you that this is a rare occurrence and not a usual pattern. Do give us a chance to serve you again.
Thank you for sharing the tip with our fellow travelers and look forward to offering you an inspiring, stimulating experience on your next visit.
Best regards,
California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This is really nice hotel and location in Kochi. Very peaceful setting with nice views of the back water and sprawling palm trees. The hotel interior is very nice and peaceful, with lots of places to hang out, like the lounge with several TV screens, the dessert bar, the outdoor patio or the large grounds around the pools.

The rooms are very nice and spacious.

They have a decent fitness center that overlooks the back water too. Good cardio machines, some dumbbells and older weight lifting machines, which need updating. The dry and wet saunas are very small for only about 3-4 people max.

I really recommend "Latest Recipe" restaurant, which is a great buffet value for breakfast and dinner, in which they'll you just about anything you want and very good food, from American, Italian, Indian and Keralian.

Room Tip: I think the better view rooms are facing the back water and the higher up the better.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank claysea
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your patronage and sharing your review. It was a pleasure to be your host.
Located beside the palm-fringed backwaters, our hotel is a preferred choice among travelers from all over the globe. It is a pleasure to see that our amenities, impeccable service and the dining options made your stay memorable. Our team in the kitchen strives hard to please the palate of the most discerning diners and your special acknowledgement has inspired them. Your feedback regarding the fitness equipment has been noted and we assure you that appropriate action will be taken.
New Delhi
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Though the lobby and the entrance look impressive, the rooms are comparatively smaller. Personally, I also don't appreciate the idea of an open washbasin area. However the service was good with a good buffet spread. The food is very spicy, so ask the chef as per your taste buds. Overall, good for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank vidhugoyal
Saji J, General Manager at Le Meridien Kochi, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear Guest,
Greetings from Le Meridien Kochi!
Thank you for your patronage and sharing your review.
We are glad that our ambience, façade, buffet spread and services were at par with your expectations and you had a wonderful time. We have noted down your feedback and have communicated the same to the teams. The team in the kitchen strives to please the palate of the most discerning diners and they look forward to welcoming you with personalized services.
We greatly value your support and await your next visit soon.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having last stayed in this hotel in 2003 and on the last leg of a trip around southern India, I chose Le Méridien Kochi due to my emotional attachment and dedication to the brand, this particular property and to experience the new Le Méridien brand image.

LOCATION: The hotel is located in Maradu, east of Kochi itself. Its location puts it within relatively easy reach of a few major malls [Abad Nucleus, Lulu] and hubs like central Ernakulam and MG Road and it is right along a backwater, granting it a quieter atmosphere with a great view.

Cochin International Airport is about 70 kilometers away, meaning cars need a good hour to an hour-and-a-half to get to/from the hotel.

ENTRANCE/LOBBY: The last time I stayed in this hotel, the lobby was awash in light woods and had a very ethnic feel. Ever since the Le Méridien brand was acquired by Starwood in 2005 and since repositioned to be very art- and culture-centric, properties around the world have fallen under the renovation hammer and thankfully this hotel has not been spared.

The new lobby is a beautiful space with a sophisticated grey and blue color scheme punctuated by dark wood. Large silver bell-like pendants hang from the ceiling, modern furniture dots the lobby and lots of little details like sculptures and artifacts line the shelves throughout. It is a lovely place to be in and has a personality of its own, even if it may lack a little in local flavor.

Check-in for our group of twelve was handled within fifteen minutes by professional, courteous staff and due to my SPG status, I was given Preferred rooms on the third floor of the hotel. I heard that some rooms in the hotel were renovated and was personally looking forward to staying in those as I had requested them while making my reservation.

ROOMS: Our rooms were on the third floor of the hotel and I instantly noticed that one wing of the corridor was decorated in frosted glass with screen designs, black and red artwork and dark wood doors for the rooms on that side. Other doors were in pale wood and looked the same way they did back in 2003 during my last stay.

That being said, our rooms were in the paler section of the corridor and, incidentally, were the non-renovated rooms. While they were very clean, pleasant and had clearly seen a bit of updating with new wood artwork, flat-panel TVs and enhanced work space, the bathroom was the same layout from my last stay with the sink outside the main bathroom, which contained the toilet itself and a bathtub. The rooms also exhibited visible wear in the furniture and the doors were scarred with age.

Disappointed that my request to have renovated rooms was not honored, I contacted the reception and they offered to move my room from the SPG floor to one of the renovated ones on the second floor, an offer I took. The second floor elevator landing immediately showed a difference from the third, with glass walls compared to carved woodwork upstairs. Again however, only one wing was visibly renovated while the rest wasn't. Once I got to room 209, the difference was clear: this was obviously the new Le Méridien design direction and it was exactly what I was looking for.

The room was done in shades of black and white with touches of red and beige for a very modern and clean look. Our twin beds were plush and each had two large pillows on them. A large work desk, flat-panel television and commodious counter/storage space made the room a very nice place to relax and unwind; the backwater view was the perfect perk.

The bathroom was now integrated into one room rather than having the sink outside, with a frosted glass wall with electric blinds separating the bedroom from the bathroom. The new bathrooms feature striped wood, circular mirrors, pedestal sinks and give up the bathtubs for a more useful and spacious shower stall with an overhead fixture, separate handheld wand and a built-in bench for optimum relaxation.

The renovations are clearly to the hotel's favor and while they are beautiful, it seems that the quality of the finishing isn't too high as I noticed large cracks in the marble in the shower stall and the doors of our renovated room were already visibly scarred and beaten. I hope that the hotel pushes the renovations across the rest of the property as soon as possible and pays more attention to these details.

FOOD/BEVERAGE: The hotel's Latest Recipe restaurant, another staple of the brand's rebirth, was nothing short of stunning: the decoration was spectacular, the space large and airy and the layout and organization of food efficient. I ate breakfast and dinner here and genuinely enjoyed the variety of food available, from egg stations, pastries and Indian options for breakfast to the Oriental, Indian and international offerings available for dinner. Presentation receives high marks - the food clearly looked fresh, professionally prepared and of the best quality.

I also ordered room service one night and the tenderloin burger was lovely. The only quibble I had with it, interestingly, was that I couldn't order it any way other than well done as informed by the staff member over the phone.

Le Méridien places great emphasis on coffee and each room has a sleeve containing a voucher for a complimentary Illy espresso or cappuccino in the lobby - a nice touch. Nothing quite beats the pleasure that a good cup of coffee gives you.

LEISURE: The hotel has a nice tiered pool and landscaped gardens, giving the property a resort feel with space to walk around and escape the chaos of Kochi. There is a health club on the fifth floor accessed by a small door and staircase from the room corridor and although the twenty-four gym was well-equipped, it's starting to show its age and could use an update.

Separate men's and women's areas with sauna, steam room, showers and changing areas are available on the same floor. They were in good order but I would have enjoyed it further if a jacuzzi was available.

FACILITIES: The hotel has a convention center with a ballroom and smaller meeting facilities that clearly see frequent use as the hotel is a popular wedding venue. All the necessary five-star trappings like a business center, concierge and travel desk are available.

SERVICE: Service was, on the whole, very good but could use some fine-tuning. The reception staff were courteous and efficient but some of them would get confused regarding room payment as I was almost charged twice for the same room during check-out. One of the staff members in the lobby lounge also seemed to have difficulty understanding what sparkling water was as it took one of my friends a good ten minutes and a few wrong orders to get through.

OVERALL: Despite being a mainstay on the Kochi hotel scene, this hotel is ultimately a property in the midst of a transformation and I personally hope that the management continues the necessary renovations to the rooms and public spaces. With a little more attention paid to quality and service, this hotel has what it takes to become the leading property in the area. I'd easily consider Le Méridien over the neighboring newer [but considerably more generic] Crowne Plaza and other competitors.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms at check-in.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Khaled B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maradu
Kochi Marriott Hotel
Kochi Marriott Hotel
#1 of 29 in Ernakulam
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
Vivanta by Taj - Malabar
#6 of 201 in Kochi (Cochin)
Crowne Plaza Kochi
Ramada Resort Cochin
#1 of 1 in Kumbalam
Fragrant Nature Kochi
Fragrant Nature Kochi
#1 of 201 in Kochi (Cochin)

Been to Le Meridien Kochi? Share your experiences!