“Hows this for hospitality!”
Review of Ryokan Biyunoyado

Ryokan Biyunoyado
Osaka, Japan
“Hows this for hospitality!”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I didn't even stay at the Ryokan but I met Yuki (the owner) at the monkey park. I missed my bus back to the station and she offered to give me a lift. But first she offered to buy a 'Ninja stick' (delicious rice treat) as a way of showing me the region. Then she asked what I had planned for the day and I mentioned I was going to onsen near the station and she said she owned an onsen near the station and was happy to let me use it free of charge. So I went and at this stage I was overcome with gratitude but still a little weary. Then I was shown the onsen and left in peace. Oh but the onsen was no standard run of the mill onsen, it was on the top of the hotel with an incredible view and this view could be seen from a very stylish and traditional tub. Had I known of this place before coming to Nagano I would have definitely stayed a few nights.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Josh H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2012

My friends and I were recommended to stay at this Ryokan because we wanted to visit the snow monkeys in Nagano. The Ryokan was ideally located just outside the city center but near to the snow monkey park. The manager, Yuki-san spoke perfect English and showed great hospitality by personally driving my friends and I to the monkey park since we were early so we did not have to wait for their shuttle bus which the ryokan provided free of charge anyway. we also had a great Japanese dinner at the Ryokan and the room was comfortable.

Even though the price was far from cheap even for us from Singapore, we felt that we got great value for the money when we factored everything in. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for accommodation in Nagano.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Isabel C
Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

This ryokan is very beautiful. Everyone from the staff are friendly to the guest. The rooms are clean and traditional. The hot spring are fantastic!
The region are a hiking-paradis, and the snow monkey park is funny.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Sana-Nana1989
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The warm hospitality and the helpful staff are unforgettable. My teenage son and I were welcomed after being collected from the nearby train station and offered a choice of Japanese or western menu for dinner and breakfast. We were also asked about any food preferences. We tried the Japanese dinner and it was amazing. We were given a range of authentic small dishes to try. While I was using the free wifi in the huge lounge/bar area the owner's wife Yukiko introduced herself and asked if she could help with anything. I had a problem with my train booking for the following day and she offered to drive me to Nagano to sort it out.

She took us to Nagano and made sure we got the right tickets but not before dropping us in the town to stroll back through the winding streets, taking us to the entrance of the snow monkey park then waiting for us in the nearby cafe, buying us coffee, and taking us to a chairlift in the mountains and organising a ride to the top for lunch!

As my son had also bought fireworks (great fun as we are not able to buy them at home) Yukiko and her young daughter helped us read the instructions and light the fireworks after dinner. As we finished a local man asked if we'd like to see the fireflies that were just up the road in a small gully. We all raced to see them.

I also found time to relax in the hotel's onsen. It was an amazing end to our trip to Japan. I regret only staying for one night. There is so much to do in the local area I would recommend staying for a minimum of 2 or 3 nights. The rooms are spacious and the view from our room and balcony over the town was wonderful. All the staff were helpful and attentive, if they could not understand English they found someone who could.

Thank you for our wonderful experience at your hotel. We will come back, Merran and Hunter

Room Tip: The Japanese tatami mat rooms with futon beds are wonderfully comfortable. Ask for a room with a vie...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MerranG
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary in February 2012 by staying in the lovely town of Yudanaka.
We researched the accommodation before we travelled and decided to stay at the Yudanaka View (Ryokan Biyunoyado) because of the good reviews we had read.
We made the right decision!
The booking process via the Yudanaka View website was easy to use. It was in English (great for Australians like us). We received confirmation very quickly.
We stayed in Tokyo for a few days before and made our way to Yudanaka via Shinkansen to Nagano and then a local train to Yudanaka.
On arrival at Yudanaka station we were met by Craig, a hotel employee who is very friendly and knowledgeable on the area. He drove us the short distance to the hotel.
Once at the Yudanaka View we sat in the lobby lounge, had a hot drink and filled out the hotel registration papers and meal times and meal requests. For breakfast my wife ordered the English breakfast. For Dinner we both ordered the traditional Japanese Kaiseki.
We were taken to our room, a traditional japanese room that was lovely and what we expected.
We were then driven to the Snow Monkey park by Craig (This was our reason for coming to Yudanaka as my wife had always wanted to visit them and we thought that our wedding anniversary was a good time to see them). The walk up to the monkeys and the Snow Monkeys was an experience we won't forget.
Upon returning to Yudanaka View we had a rest and then put our yukata robes on and headed to dinner.
The kaiseki dinner was so beautifully presented and prepared that it was almost too good to eat! But we did, and it was delicious. The staff were able to show us what to do when we were not too sure how to eat some items.
At the end of the meal the owner Yukiko introduced herself to us. She was lovely, so warm and friendly. When Yukiko heard it was our Wedding Anniversary she presented us with a gift that we will treasure always. We felt so very special!
We finished off our evening with a walk around the local town and then a private rooftop hot tub at the Yudanaka View.
Our room had been made up ready for sleeping and we had a very comfortable nights sleep.
Breakfast the next morning was also great. We both enjoyed our different breakfasts. Once again well presented. We got lots of photos of the meals as they were very photogenic.
After breakfast we walked around the nearby town of Shibu, it is a lovely old world town and once again very picturesque.
After checkout we went to the nearby town of Obuse. This is a worthwhile town to visit as well. The chestnut ice cream was yummy!
We were looked after really well by Yukiko and Craig and the service they offered is something we will never forget.
We did not have enough time to go to the nearby Shiga Kogen snow area but we would like to do this next time!
And yes, there will be a next time.
We are now planning to take our two daughters with us next time, hopefully in January 2013. We look forward to seeing Yukiko, Craig and the other helpful staff at the Yudanaka View next year!
Thankyou!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SnowdensDL
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We only stayed two nights, but it felt so much longer. Yukiko our hostess was charming, professional and very helpful. The food is an amazing experience and staff very informative. The inhouse onsen was brilliant.

All in all a highlight in our whole Japanese trip. We loved the snow monkeys, the steamy mountain streams and old world charm of the town.

Thank you again Yukiko for our outstanding holiday

Suzanne and Tracey

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne B
Nagano-shi, Nagano, Japan
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Last winter I went to Biyunoyado for 2 weekends. I was just thinking about it today and thought I'd pop on and give it the review it deserves.

Both times we were greeted at the door with a big smile and made feel welcome straight away.

The rooms were spacious and the beds were so comfy we didn't want to get up to ski in the mornings :)

As we were there on two separate occasions we were lucky enough to get to try both of the hot springs. They have one for men and one for women but they change them around so you can try both sides if you're there for a few days. The outdoor ones were so good to relax in after skiing for the day.

We had dinner and breakfast both times. With a different menu on the different weekends. After we were stuffed! It was all delicious too. During our dinner the owner presented us with a yukata (traditional japanese robe) to take home with us too. It was such a nice touch.

I'll definitely be going back next year during the ski season. Might even make it up for a hike this summer if I'm lucky :)

The location is about 30 mins drive from the slopes but there's a shuttle bus. It's right beside the monkeys though and I've heard they have a hotel right at the bottom of one of the slopes in Shiga Kogen.

Room Tip: There are rooms with private outdoor Onsen but they're a little more expensive.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends