Ryokan Biyunoyado
Shibu Hotel(Yamanouchi-machi)
US$858
US$344
Ryokan
Wafu no Yado MASUYA(Yamanouchi-machi)
US$257
Senshinkan Matsuya(Yamanouchi-machi)(Great Value!)
US$137
US$109
Agoda.com
All reviewslion dancesnow monkeystrain stationprivate onsenthe owner's wifetaiko drumbreakfast and dinnertravel agentview hotelshiga kogenhot springsmanaging directortatami matstraditional japanese mealbeautiful experienceenglish speaking staffminute drive
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel 15/16 Feb 2014. The Manager, Yukiko, was so friendly and helpful and made our stay even better. The rooms are spacious and very clean, the meals outstanding and the Onsens were excellent. The staff were very helpful and provided very good transfers in their vehicles. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. For us, it was 5 star! (I can't get the star ratings to work on my computer!)

Room Tip: Our West facing rooms had nice views - particularly of the big snow falls!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rod B
yudanakaview, Guest Relations Manager at Ryokan Biyunoyado, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review, we really appreciate your comments!

I'm delighted to hear that you had such a pleasant stay with us and hope that you are able to visit again soon!

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Amazing and friendly service. Very culturally helpful and understanding. Incredible view of the snowy mountainous area of natural hot water springs. A wonderful break from the city life and overall a warm, friendly and authentic atmosphere. Would 100% recommend.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank India J

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing us such a warm review. I'm delighted that you had a relaxing break away from busy city life and were able to enjoy the natural hot springs the area has to offer.

Hopefully you'll be able to visit again soon!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My family's stay at Ryokan Biyunoyado came to us by accident. The owner of the ryokan we originally were staying at accidentally overbooked and had us move over to Ryokan Biyunoyado for our last two nights. Angry and upset that we were getting kicked out, we willingly packed up our things and headed to Ryokan Biyunoyado, in the middle of a snow storm!
We were first greeted by Tori, who took care right from the start. She checked us in, made sure we had a big enough room for 4 people, made our dinner and breakfast accommodations, and showed us to our room.
While checking out the bar and using the free wifi I met Yuki. She asked me where I was visiting from, I said Hawaii. As it turns out she used to live in Hawaii for a long time! She made me a cup of coffee and had a brief conversation before she went back to shoveling snow outside of the ryokan. She was so personable and inviting, I knew we had stumbled across a gem!
Since we were snowed in our family opted for the kaiseki dinner at the ryokan. It was amazing, presentation was impeccable, everything fresh and local. Yuki came into the dining room and greeted all the guests and explained what we were eating. It was probably the most authentic Japanese meal we had on our entire trip!
My sister, mom, and I took advantage of the indoor and outdoor public bath. It was very relaxing and was just what we need in this cold weather! I'm not too keen on public onsen, but the one here was so beautiful, clean, and provided amenities, I just couldn't resist.
We ended up being snowed in the entire time we were there and spending most of our time in the their very stylish yet comfy lobby that has big windows overlooking the town. Thankfully Yuki, Tori, and the entire hotel staff kept our spirits up. Yuki checked in on us every now and then, came and talked story. She told us about Japan life, we told her about new places in Hawaii she needed to visit. At the end of our stay, Yuki and another hotel staff member drove us and another group all the way to Nagano Station so we could take the shinkansen back to Tokyo since the Yudanaka station was still closed because of snow!
The customer service here is the best I've ever received from a hotel, maybe EVER (and I work for a business that prides itself on customer service). That really is what it comes down to; amazing customer service; keeping customers happy under whatever circumstances, creating relationships, and going above and beyond.
Thank you to our previous ryokan for overbooking, most of all thank you to Yuki and her staff for making our stay memorable, relaxing, and enjoyable! I hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank sarahfumiko

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. We were delighted to have you stay with us at Biyu no Yado and are glad that you had a pleasant time, despite being snowed in during your visit! It gave us a chance to spend some time with you in the lounge and it seems you felt relaxed after the onsen.

I hope that you're able to visit again soon when there is a little less snow so that you can go walking around the village and take in some of the beautiful scenery!

Reviewed 24 February 2014

* Excellent service * Splendid view * Gorgeous food (do get the Kaiseki dinner & breakfast) * Awesome drum performance (included) * Delightful indoor & outdoor onsen (included) * Close to snow monkeys * English-speaking staff * Great job! Thank you Tori!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Justin C

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your positive comments!

I'm happy that you enjoyed the taiko drum performance and the Kaiseki meal. It was great to see your faces after the snow monkey park - you seemed to have had a brilliant time!

I hope you're able to visit us again soon and maybe go skiing up in Shiga Kogen next time!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Biyunoyado

I have stayed in many fantastic hotels in my life, and in quite a few crappy ones too. Never have I experienced a hotel manager in the past who seems to bring the customers satisfaction to a level never experienced before.

I will try to leave my comment short and will not comment much on the room (which is just a perfect compromise for non Japanese not used to be sleeping on futons but who still want a Ryokan experience), and the onsen (that is so relaxing and rejuvenating) as both have been discussed in length below. And the Japanese breakfast… Mmmm… A treat in itself. I did not even check what was on offer for the Continental breakfast but I am sure it was very good. But honestly, why travel to Japan to eat western food?

Let me briefly talk about the way Yuki is managing the whole business. I was supposed to arrive on a Saturday and was unfortunately trapped in Tokyo due to the historical snowstorm. I called to cancel the room just before deadline and it was done in no time with understanding. The following day I managed to jump on the first train to Nagano and remained ‘trapped’ on the way reaching Nagano only 14 hours later! I then managed to grab a train to Suzaka as no train was going beyond this station. At this point I realised I actually had no hotel secured in Yudanaka and before forking out big bucks for a taxi ride I should ensure room availability first. I also took this opportunity to obtain confirmation the snow monkeys were accessible since it was the aim of my trip.

I have really been amazed by how the whole situation has been managed for myself but also all other customers due to cancellations, hotel extensions and the general mess and chaos created by the snow storm. Yuki handled everything with cool, taking the time to individually treat all customers as if they were her only guest.

One of my main interests while travelling is food of course. When I mentioned my passion for buckwheat and I wanted to try the best soba noodles she even went all the way to drive me to her favourite secret spot where I was treated with unique mountain vegetable tempura but most importantly succulent zaru soba and tsuyu. It felt like a unique experience to be able to find myself in a very local and homely restaurant (and I will keep its name secret!).

I was also driven all the way back to Takano upon departure, at no extra cost, as the trains out of Yudanaka were still not in service.

Hotel experiences can leave you with wonderful memories due to their location, setting, amenities etc, but customer service is what makes the whole difference and make you want to come back. And if you don’t, surely the memories remain recorded in your brain ever after…

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DarwinGreggyfroggy

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review for us, we really appreciate your comments.

I'm delighted to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one despite the huge snowfall we experienced over that weekend! It's fantastic that you got stuck into the Japanese breakfast and were able to relax in the natural onsen.

I hope you're able to come back and visit when the weather is a little better so that you can explore Yudanaka and discover some more spots like the one where you tried mountain vegetable tempura!