“perfect for ski in, ski out”

Belambra Clubs - L'Aiguille Rouge
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Les Arcs
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Went to this hotel on 11th January 2014 and was expecting a typical french hotel, cramped rooms, expensive prices and dodgy luke warm food. upon arrival was told rooms would not be ready until 5 p.m having arrived at 1 p.m., which was a bit of a let down but hotel allowed us to place cases and ski bags in the lobby luggage room. within 10 minutes were told room was now ready and we made our way to the room.
As expected the rooms are small and a little cramped with three beds for just two persons. bathroom small but shower always warm and plenty of hot water, you have to be a bit of a gymnast to fit in the bath if you are 6ft but for my wife who is 5ft not much of a problem. rooms were warm but useful to dry ski gear if weather bad.
I found the food at the hotel was good, much better than a number of ski hotels stayed before. Even the free wine was drinkeable which makes a pleasant change. the food was quick to be replaced when it ran out and plenty of choice. found getting there early after the happy hour finished was the easiest to get a table without sometimes having to share a table.
Rooms were basic but perfectly acceptable and it appeared that the rooms had not long been decorated but not to luxury standards in any way but functional with plenty of wardrobe space for skiing clobber.
ski out was great just walk out of hotel from the ski locker room and down the slope to the lift. to get back have to take the beginners magic carpet to get up the slope but much better than a walk to your hotel.
The entertainment in the hotel is ok just quizzes, a live band and videos also cinema if you feel the need. Drinks were expensive but this is France and everywhere drinks are expensive just take a look at Tignes and Val D'isere nearby. If you plan right you can have a few beers at happy hour ?? 17.00-18.30 and then some free endless wine with dinner and a few more if you want at the more expensive prices. For me I am too tired to worry about drinks after dinner just sleep for another days skiing.
My only complaints about this hotel was the ski looker room needs an upgrade to include boot dryers in the locker not just a cold metal locker to store boots and skis. wifi is a little hit and miss but that may have been my knowledge of how to access the wifi. The dining room could do with a little rearranging of layout to stop you having to go back and fore to get dishes of food without having to push past other diners queuing for their dinner.
You can see from the very minor gripes that this was a good holiday despite the daily snow and bad visibility.
Would I return to this hotel, definitely and would have no problem recommending to friends.

Room Tip: try to get rooms on floors 1 or 2 so you do not have to wait for lifts to get everywhere.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gazbWales

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Don't read the negative went on the 25 of jan had a great holiday. Yes the rooms were hot but turned heater off and opened door for some air occasionally. Staff were helpful, food was good, free wine was drinkable, bar prices were ok, ski in and ski out was great and I didn't see any bugs in breakfast. Also Gemma from crystal was very efficient. Can't wait to go back

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gary R
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Travel 1/2 - 8/2

Good:

location for slopes and ski hire.

good variety of entertainment available. games, disco, quizzes, bands etc

dinner which has a large variety of food and is replenished frequently. might not be to all tastes but everyone should find something they like. gets busy after 7 so advise getting in early.

Bad: trek through the hotel from drop off point with lifts that may or.may.not be working

wifi limited to the lounge at the reception area which can take a while to connect to at busy times & is limited to 30min sessions although u can reconnect but is a needless hassle.

had to leave hotel at 03:45 for a 10:55 flight because we needed to.get out before avalanche bombs.were set off which could have blocked the road.

would I go again: yes, probably.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank StuT_11
Reviewed 6 February 2014

They say one in five internet reviews is made up and to be honest I wonder if some of the reviews about this hotel are made up? Either that or they have put in the wrong hotel name!!

We travelled to this hotel on the 25th of January and booked through the travel company Inghams. We were delayed getting up to our resort as we had to wait quite a while for our bags to be unloaded off our plane and then had to wait 1 hour for a flight that was late arriving. Chambery airport doesn't cope well on busy ski Saturday's!! Still it's nearer to the resort than Geneva so still my first choice of French ski airports.

Upon arrival our bags were ferried up to our hotel and we had a short 5min walk from coach to hotel. Check in was quick and when we asked for our 3 rooms to be put together on the same floor it was quickly sorted with no fuss. We then went to skiset to collect our ski's before our evening meal. Arc2000 is not a big resort so everything is very close by. The skiset shop is literally 30 seconds walk from the hotel and the bigger skiset shop around the corner is only 2-3 mins walk. The resort is also connected to Arc1950 via a short bubble lift. 1950 as some nice bars, a big spa (20 euros) and some nice restaurants.
After getting into the hotel restaurant late there was still plenty of food left. It's also self service with a very good choice to suit all. How anyone could complain about the evening meal is beyond me. It's buffet style so don't expect waiter service but the food quality was very good. Plenty of nice breads, cheeses, freshly cooked meats, pasta dishes, salad options, soups, chips, potatoes, pizza's and numerous dessert options including yogurt's, ice creams, cakes chocolate fountains etc etc. All washed down with unlimited amounts of wine. (You won't require supper)
Breakfasts had everything from cold meats, breads, yogurts, cereals, pastries, sausages etc. Don't expect a full English because that's one thing you won't be getting. I can do without the bacon etc but would have liked a better selection of eggs. Boiled, fried and poached would have been nice but no such luck. Still plenty of options to keep you full till lunch.
The reception and bar areas are spacious and it was fairly easy to connect to the hotels wifi. The bar prices were not too bad. As already stated beer is 3.50 Euros from 5pm-6.30pm. Gin and tonic was 4.50 euros and whisky's ranged from 4-6 euros. Coke was 3.50 euros. Not the cheapest but cheaper than the bars on piste!!
Our room was small but still plenty of cupboard space. The room was cleaned every day. My one complaint about the room was the heat at night. only option in our room was open the balcony door for an Arctic blast. Anyway we did get used to it as the week went on and slept fairly well most nights. Any noise was from outside the hotel. The snowploughs were up at 5am on a few of the mornings as we had some heavy snowfall. Quiet in the hotel all though I'd avoid rooms near the lifts. The lifts are busy and most of the hotel is accessed by the same 3 lifts.
The skiing while we was there was fab. Ski lockers are right next to the piste and there are plenty of lift options near to the hotel to get high up on the mountain. The view from the top of Aiguille Rouge is amazing and the 8km run from top down to Villaroger is also well worth doing. Don't be put off by the black at the start. It's short and soon turns into big wide reds. Get up there early to avoid queues mind. The ski to La Plange was also easy and trouble free. We simply got the Bois De L'Ours chairlift out of 2000 and then skied straight down to the Vanoise Express which connects Les Arcs to La Plange. Within no more than 1 hour we were in la Plange and the skiing over there was also top notch. The busiest day to go to La Plange is Tuesday according to the locals. They told us the best days to go across were Monday and Thursday's if you want to avoid the worst of the queues.
So for the price I can say very little wrong about this hotel. The few negative minor points were far outweighed by the positives and I would return to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near lifts. Ask for an interconnecting room if you want to be near family. The reception...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Stayed here from the 25/1/14 - 1 /2/14, after reading the reviews on the run up to our holiday I was a lil worried but no need at all!! Great hotel great location. Ski in ski out. Food was a lil like a cattle market but we were there to ski not to be wined and dined. Cheapest beer around especially during happy hour 5/6.30-- 3 1/2 Euros a pint. Staff friendly n very helpful. If I went again I would defo book not through crystal because they could not be any more un helpful and un approachable!! Soooo keep your chin up if you have booked it's the best Hotel in the whole of les arcs 4 ski in ski out. Keep carm n keep skiing :)

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Bob C
Reviewed 25 January 2014

This was my first experience of staying in a purpose built ski resort, so please forgive me if I rattle on about the bleedin' obvious. Arc 2000 wouldn't normally have made it on to our list of places we'd like to ski, but we booked very late and had a limited budget, and L'Aiguille Rouge seemed to be our best option for catered accommodation in a snowsure resort with a large ski area. Our party consisted of my husband and me and our 15-year-old daughter.

I was surprised when, on the way out on our last day, someone pointed out the two stars on the hotel entrance. I'd assumed it was a three star hotel, and thought that was a fair grading.

The staff are predominantly young, and pleasant and friendly, and seem to work very hard.

The foyer, reception area and bar are interlinked. The atmosphere is cosy and friendly, with lots of seating and tables, board games and a selection of books (some in English), a display board with weather forecasts, menus, and information about events and activities, free wi-fi (30 minutes at a time, endlessly repeatable), and plenty of plug sockets for electrical devices. The lighting is a bit feeble for my old eyes. So feeble that I couldn't see the keys on my laptop computer, and certainly couldn't have done my knitting.

The wi-fi is only available in the public area. I used the "roaming" option on my mobile 'phone a couple of times, and signal coverage was excellent.

The bedrooms are accessible only by lift. The only stairs are the fire escape and their use in other circumstances is forbidden. Our rooms were dated, and would certainly have been cramped had they been occupied by three big smelly blokes, but they're easily big enough for a couple, or a couple with a young child, and adequately provided with storage space. The mattresses and bedding are of bunkhouse quality. The en suite bathrooms have a curious arrangement of a shower over a tiny little short bath.

Our bedroom heating seemed to have a mind of its own, and lighting wasn't as bright as I'd have liked. The room was tidied up, beds made, bins emptied etc. every day.

When we arrived, we were provided with fabric bracelets which were our "pass" for breakfast, and seven tickets each that we could use for lunch or dinner.

Breakfast is OK. There's bread (baguettes, another crusty loaf, sliced brioche and toasting bread), croissants, pains au chocolat and cake, The cheese and ham are presented as cubes rather than slices, possibly to discourage the construction of le pique-nique. There's also fruit, a couple of cereals, fromage frais, and apple and peach purees. It's self-service and highly reminiscent of student halls of residence in the 1980s. Coffee, cocoa, hot water and fruit juice are dispensed by relatively idiot-proof push-button machines.

And, having read about the powdered egg in other reviews, I must mention the cooked breakfast ... oh dear me, the stench! The whole dining room smells like a big rotten egg in the mornings. I assume it's not them, it's me, because plenty of people seemed to be tucking quite happily into the scrambled egg and the little sausage-shaped things that were on offer every day.

The dinners were fantastic while we were there. Soup, a big selection of salads, main courses (usually four or five meat options with show cooking, at least one sort of fish, a few plants, plain pasta with sauce, pizza, chips), half a dozen puddings, bread, and nice cheeses. All nicely cooked and presented, and a different selection every day. Just what I needed after a full day of skiing and only a cup of coffee and a bit of chocolate for lunch. I'm not sure that my waistbands are going to approve of my need to try ALL the puddings, though.

Lively entertainment is provided in the hotel bar every evening, and there's a movie room and a games room for teenagers.

There's a ski room in the hotel, with a locker per room. The lockers are really only big enough to accommodate two pairs of skis and boots, and after the first couple of days we started taking our boots to our room because they were staying damp when left in the locker overnight. The hotel is truly ski-out, and ski-in with the use of a conveyor belt arrangement.

The skiing is magnificent. We didn't go beyond the local area and found plenty of variety, with good off-piste opportunities and efficient lifts. Not being one for the apres-ski, I can't comment on that. What I did notice is that there's nowhere to go for a walk from Arc 2000. There's very little to the resort itself, walking on the pistes is forbidden by a local by-law, and walking down the hairpin-bend road towards Bourg St Maurice is forbidden due to the risk of avalanches. If you fancied a yomp in the snow as a change from skiing, you'd have to take a gondola to one of the other areas.

We don't plan to return to Les Arcs - there are too many other ski areas to visit - but if I was told that I had no choice but to return to L'Aiguille Rouge for my next ski trip, I wouldn't complain.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Technosaurus
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed at the L'Aiguille Rouge from the 11th- 18th Jan 2014 for a week skiing with 3 friends. Location was fantastic, ski in ski out at it's best. The ski equipment room is a 10 meter walk from the top of a travelator and you can access pretty much all the main lifts of Arc 2000/1950 from within 5 minutes.

The rooms were ideal for a ski holiday. Comfortable beds, good showers and were cleaned daily. One slight issue was the heat in the room at night... we left the balcony door open at night but I still woke up with the moisture quantity of a pork scratching. Mind due, that's a small price to pay for the location you are in.

Food wise we never had a problem, wine was decent and did the job. Breakfast was a choice of continental or sausages/eggs. Would avoid the hot option as the powdered eggs didn't do much for my energy levels throughout the day. Catering staff were friendly and attentive throughout the meals.

One thing to note is that for a group of early-20s friends, the entertainment at the hotel was slightly cheesey. 'Happy Games' and UV discos to the tune of 'Under Pressure' by Queen didn't really do it for us, but a lot of people seemed to enjoy it. Would make the most of the Irish Bar just down the lift from the hotel bar and also the bowling alley across the Olympique Place.

All in all, a great place to stay for a week of amazing skiing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends