“comfy chalet, great location”
Review of Chalet Bayona

Chalet Bayona
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Les Arcs
Chalet Bayona
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed at Chalet Bayona in Plan Peisey (with Ski Beat) in March 2013.

The chalet is very warm and comfortable and looks better in reality than in the Skibeat photographs. There is no TV, and the stereo is not great. The transfer to and from the chalet took about 5 hours and there was quite a lot of time waiting on the coach at the airport before it was ready to leave.

Steve and Becky were our chalet hosts and I agree with another reviewer that they are excellent hosts. I have been on 3 chalet ski trips and Becky and Steve were definitely the best chalet hosts. They made us feel welcome and they had a relaxed attitude but they were also super well organised and very helpful. We enjoyed chatting to them at dinner too!

We were originally booked into room 7 which is adjacent to the communal dining / living area - this is an odd room which is split level. It has space for one bed on each level or two beds on the lower level only. The lower level has no window, except for one which is very high up, ie. so high that you can't see out of it. This room suits two people who are travelling together but are not a couple because then each can have their own personal space. This room is not good for a couple and I am glad that we were able to swap rooms.
Each room (I think all rooms) has its own room stat which is great because you can set it at a temperature that you like.
Unfortunately the sauna was not working. We were offered use of a spa nearby, which Skibeat paid for, but only for one visit.

I had ski lessons with ESF in level 3, it was quite a challenge but I really enjoyed it. The instructor made the lessons fun and included a lot of variety of techniques, also did some off piste. I was a lot more confident by the end of the week, skiing faster and even did some small jumps. Another chalet guest had ski lessons with New Generation. I was given the impression that ski lessons with New Gen would be difficult to get to but this is not the case - if in doubt ask New Gen. I think I would have slightly preferred lessons with New Gen although they are more expensive the classes are smaller.

The chalet is in a great location. I hate walking in ski boots so I really like to be close to the lifts.
There is also a ski hire shop directly opposite the Chalet. This is quite convenient if you need to change any bits of kit.

It would be nice to see a couple more bars opening in Plan Peisey as it is pretty quiet, but overall I really liked the Les Arcs ski resort and would definitely go there again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 678EmmaR

Reviewed 29 March 2013

Right, not much time to review but just wanted to saw that we had a great time with Steve and Becky in Chalet Bayona. Excellent location, brilliant resort for good snowboarders and skiers alike. Fast lifts to the top and La Plagne no more than 20 metres away, trees for when it's snowy and massive safe and accessible off-piste.

The resort is quiet but a few good bars and an occasional lively night at Bar Mont Blanc. A particularly memorable Wednesday night with the Dominoes!!!

The chalet is a little on the spartan side but has good showers and is comfortable enough. Ski Beat should invest in the odd TV here and there together with a few more homely bits n pieces perhaps but as a plus, Wifi is available and free. On the downside, the transfers are always interminable from the airport but I have to say that Grenoble is a disaster. Too small to cope with the traffic and significant delays both in and out. Ski Beat could have helped by providing a bottle of water and a Mars Bar or something to keep us going until at least the services halfway up the valley.

Food at the chalet- plentiful, wholesome and very tasty courtesy of Steve and Becs. Cakes superb. Wine ok and quaffable.

Besides the location, Becky and Steve are the Unique Selling Point of this chalet and will be a real problem for Ski Beat if / when they ever move on. Difficult to sum up the service in a few words so will use adjectives and superlatives.

Here goes. Friendly, knowledgeable, professional, unobtrusive, caring, hospitable, welcoming, happy to go out and enjoy a night with the guests (Mont Blanc Bar etc.) Not looking to sell stuff at every opportunity and do not treat guests as 'punters'. In fact, they go out of their way to avoid that particular chalet host cliche. This couple pride themselves on the extraordinary customer service. They are in fact, THE primary reason to return to the chalet. Actually, would be interested in staying with them wherever they are as they are so good that they are an attraction in and of themselves.

A great week, brilliant conditions, some v interesting people to spend a week with and enjoy a carrier landing or two with!! All in all a memorable holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends