“Nice house that needs some love”

Oakfield Lodge Guest House
Ranked #1 of 1 Marple B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed at this B&B for three nights by myself in early February as a getaway from life's hussle and bussle. I really enjoyed myself and found it an over all good choice. With some small changes I wold happily come back and also recommend this to friends. It is conveniently located close to both bus stop and the train station and within easy walking distance to the small town.
The house is amazing and my room was nice, big and very clean, with amazing views, but also a bit on the bare side and could have done with a bit more love. There was no mirror and being a woman I felt I missed being able to check myself before going out. However, the biggest problem was the bed. Although a nice size, it was well past it use by date.
The breakfast had a good variety but when asked if I wanted anything from the menu it was done in a way that made me feel that I would be putting them out if I'd said yes.
There was a lounge that more felt like a random collection of left overs of furniture and games. Unfortunately it was mostly closed but I found a very nice sofa to spend a few hours on.
This gave me the opportunity to get to know the owner and her son who were very helpful and nice people. It's a shame they didn't show this side in their service. Maybe working in a similar role I pick up on these things more easily than others, but I do feel that the only thing standing in the way of this B&B getting a very high score is showing that nice, friendly, smiling, welcoming attitude through out the service, and maybe some new beds.
I'm giving this B&B a three star rating with an extra half star for the wonderful house. With some more love put in to their service I would easily add one more star and with some updated rooms and better bed this would be a five star to me.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Emoni H

Reviewed 13 September 2012

We stayed her 2 months ago, its a lovely place to stay and well located, the hosts were superb and the breakfast was excellent, we only planned to stay 2 days but ended up staying a whole week ! Marple itself is a wonderful place to visit especially if you like walking, we spent hours walking around the place and in fact we go back again very soon, all in all very good value for money, clean and as I said Lorraine and Spencer were superb hosts, I would recomend this place very highly

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank smudger888
Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night, then came back for an additional 2 at the end of our trip. This is a great place to stay and is close to nice pubs, restaurants and places to walk. The owners dog was a big plus too!

Thanks for a great trip Lorraine and Spencer!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Lindsy221
Reviewed 7 July 2012

A old house from the era when B & B was king! comfortable with old fitting(taps in bathrooms) Old in as OLD but not antique,I liked this it had Character.Breakfast was excellent and the price just right.Dont expect luxury here,but quirky and clean.Just round the corner is an excellent indian restaurant The Purple Pakora,unfortunatly it was fully booked,however i can recommend the Midland pub a little further down the hill.Will stay again on my next trip to this area.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Lloyd C
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed at Oakfield Lodge for 4 nights in June 2012. A beautiful house set in magnificent grounds. Here you'll find rabbits, squirrels and badgers without leaving the front gate. Decor is traditional and very warm and inviting. Breakfast was plentiful and graciously served. I had a room on the top floor with views to die for, overlooking a large garden with picnic tables, children's play area and toys (kiddie bikes) etc.

The atmosphere is efficient but laid back and relaxing. I had no car but that didn't matter.
Buses run from the front of the hotel in a continuous circuit into Stockport (no. 383) or 384 going in the opposite direction (from other side of the road) to the same place. Hop off at Rose Hill Station for the Train to Manchester, it takes less than half an hour.

Such was my enjoyment that I hope to stay again at Oakfields in the near future.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are en suite, but bathrooms are on the same floor and adequate in number for the numbe...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Generally this place is like Bates motel. It needs money spending on it. I stayed there with my husband and daughter in what was described as a 'family room' basically it was a dark room with outrageously outdated decor and 3 single beds. The beds had seen better days , soft and noisy. We had 1 towel for 3 of us and the tea and coffee facilities included 1 tiny milk portion. Breakfast ' continental selection ' was cheap cereals and a bowl of mouldy fruit. It was so bad it was funny - we won't be returning

• Stayed: June 2012
6  Thank J9thebeauty
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My Wife and I had cause to go to Marple Bridge for the Night. We were booked into Oakfield Lodge by a 3rd party and very pleased with what we found. The House is a lovely example from the era. Stunning hall and staircase Lovely homely feel to the Dining room with great views over the valley. Our Room was absolutely Spotless with a very Comfortable Bed. The Poached Eggs at Breakfast were "ALMOST" as good as my Wife cooks!!!!
Great Stay with lovely Hosts.

Room Tip: Would ask for a Room at the Back , for that lovely view. "A Hook on the Door" would "...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PaulOrmeCourt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marple
3 mi away
Wycliffe Hotel
#5 of 14 in Stockport
Innkeeper's Lodge Stockport, Heaton Chapel
Holiday Inn Express Stockport

Been to Oakfield Lodge Guest House? Share your experiences!