“Welcome back”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Aberystwyth
“Welcome back”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Well what can I say? Welcome back to the landlord + landlady it seems the village is back to what it should be. Food is gorgeous I had the thai curry..superb!Bar staff are helpful + served by a bubbly welsh speaking was lovely to hear as im learning the language. Looking forward to spending more time in the ship in the summer. Only disappointment was a waitress shouting orders at bar staff around customers. Local ale moho is superb my favourite I have to say. We didnt mind ordering drinks + food at the bar as it is a pub at the end of the day not a restaurant were all moving with the times. Keep up the good work + compliments to the chefs

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank LewisDai

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“A great setting with nice food”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Parking is limited outside & was full when we arrived. Having declined the young attendants offer of leaving the car parked in the middle of the car park & leaving him the keys in case it needed to be moved (!!) (and still paying £3.50 to park), we parked in the free parking field at the top of the village. In the pub the staff were friendly and although most people were eating outside, we chose the cool of the inside. The food was tasty & hot. Lasagne, Steak & Kidney pie, Chilli & a Broccoli bake, with the latter the only one not getting 100% approval. There was a little too much mashed potato which made it a heavier meal than expected. Aside from that there were lots of fishy specials that we didn't try. Would definitely return again if we are in the area.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Book M
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Great seaside pub.”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have kept coming back to this lovely place for around 20 years. I have visited both with my family during holidays and also in my role as an entertainer (folk music). Whenever we come up to y llong we always have a lovely welcome from staff and guests alike. The staff look after us and the atmosphere on their music nights is something to be seen... believe me, unmissable.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank AIDAN S
Aberaeron, United Kingdom
“Average”
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I ate here on a Sunday evening, and the setting is beautiful. The decor is lovely and the member of staff behind the bar was pleasant. We decided to sit upstairs. Othe menu it stated that we had to order at the bar, so down we went to order. We had the tempura prawns and pate to start which was nice. However, the waitress stood and watched us finish our starters as it was clear that she wanted to clear our dishes quickly. Our mains came out in less than five minutes of her clearing our starters, which didn't allow enough time for our food to settle before the mains came out. I ordered the thai red curry as my main - this is not what I call a thai red curry. It was more like a normal chicken curry with chillies and coriander sprinkled on top. Needed more seasoning, more fish sauce and lemongrass (as I couldn't taste any) and more chilies. Luckily, I ordered chips and onion rings also, so ended up eating those alone and hardly touched my curry. No one at any point came over to check if any of our courses were ok so they were only told about the disappointing curry when I paid - which I paid in full, and as I only had about five mouthfuls. Also, whilst eating the mains someone decided to switch the lights off so we sat there in darkness - what is going on?? My friend had to go back downstairs to ask them to switch the lights on. In the meantime someone popped out of the kitchen and noticed me sat in darkness with the torch on my phone on trying to eat my onion rings and turned the lights back on and apologised.

My friend had gammon which was nice and the onion rings were lovely. Would only go back for a drink only.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Nia J
kevbrown, Owner at Y Llong The Ship, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I note that your tempura prawns, your pate, and your friends gammon was nice, and also your onion rings were lovely. Unfortunately your thai red curry was bland. I have informed the cook, who will look into the seasoning, but until now, we have had no complaints. The lights being turned off was entirely my fault, for which I apologised profusely, my colleague behind the bar also apologised, and light heartedly suggested we were trying to create an ambience, unfortunately his apology and humour fell on stony ground. Once again though, thank you for your review.
Llandeilo, Wales, United Kingdom
“Superb”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Staying at Penbontbren 5* Bed and Breakfast nearby, we ventured down to Llangrannog, such a beautiful place. Called in to The Ship / y Llong and had a wonderful evening meal here, the Sirloin steak was excellent as was the rest of the meal, would definitely call again. a real gem. we were very lucky to arrive at a time when there was a good table available, the staff were great and the service was very good. a lovely place with a lovely atmosphere, and very reasonably priced cant wait to visit again

• Visited May 2014