“Not bad with very low key management”

San Carlos Beach Inn
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We arrived a little earlier than the owner expected. As these apartments are attached to a building that also currently houses an Italian restaurant, there is no onsite management. The owners of the restaurant are Italian and are friends of the inn owner. They had to call him and we had to wait over an hour before he could get to the inn. While we waited, we had coffee at the restaurant which was very good. Once the owner arrived we were shown to our intended room which was the surfers studio. It was behind the inn and down a narrow dark walkway. I did not like its location and we asked to be moved to one of the 2 upstairs rooms. Luckily one was open. The room was actually 2 rooms, one with a futon and one with a double bed. Also ther was a small kitchenette that seemed well appointed and a small bath. I decided not to take a shower as I am not a fan of the suicide shower. All in all they were decent accommodations but as we were 2 single women I just didn't feel as safe as I desired. I found a few dead bugs in the rooms but the bedding seemed clean. I think this place would be best suited to men or couples looking for no frills. The owner is a very nice man and was as accommodating as possible.

Room Tip: I would select a room on the upper level. I do not remember seeing an AC, but it did have ceiling...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 29 August 2013

Pulled into San Carlos, on our way to Chitre, to have lunch and ended up staying a week. What a great place! Our apartment had a lovely sitting/dining room, bedroom, kitchen, and bath. Our patio faced the town plaza and was a great place to spend early mornings. The hotel has this wonderful palapa, on the third floor, complete with large gas BBQ, wet bar, sitting areas, and a hammock. It gets the breezes off the ocean and is a great place to spend lazy afternoons. Everyone was so friendly and helpful, and the little town is charming. Easy walking distance to the ocean. We enjoyed it so much that we went back for another three days after spending several weeks in the western part of Panama. Felt like going home. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The apartments and the whole building of San Carlos Beach Inn were very beautiful. It's a short drive to the beach, which isn't really pretty though. Also the beaches in the surroundings were not the most beautiful of Panamá.
First we had a room at ground level which was really big and beautiful, but it was so close to the road that it seemed like the cars were driving through our room. Next day we got another room where we didn't here the cars this loud. The owner was very friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My wife and I stayed here from Jan. 17th to the 21st. We actually left a day earlier. It was almost a disaster when we found out that the new manager had quit and the owner could not find our reservation. All he had was the lower floor to give us. We had reserved a room above with a kitchen Etc. There is not much to do or eat here (unless you get a room with a kitchen) so you must go to Coronado. Plenty of shopping and restaurants there. The owner needs to really pay attention to this property. We cut our stay short because on the lower level there are shutters with locks on them that appear to be secure but they are not. You can just push them open. We came home one night late and a shutter was swung open, and it appeared someone had broken in. No one did but I spent all night trying to keep it shut and the windows were missing some rinky dink sort of bolts to keep them from being opened even from the outside.
I said something to the new manager whom was very nice and had just taken over. I think he was embarrassed by the fact it was so unsecured. There are plenty of break ins in this area so that did not help the fact that someone could just walk right in (through a window).

Room Tip: Stay in an upper room only until the lower units are improved. And if you are looking for shopping...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ucatchme25
Reviewed 25 January 2013

The apartments are clean, are located in the center of town, but still very quiet, with beautiful views and some shops within walking distance. All this for a very good price. The owner was really helpful, friendly and give us some great advice.

Room Tip: Apartments upstairs, there are larger and with a better view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank algisdorit
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Perfect location, perfect accomodations, close to beach ,clean, comfortable, modern, free Wi Fi, wonderful English speaking owner, whats not to love ??!!
Oh, and the best Panama coffee around :)
I will be back !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank sandiegogirls
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Happened onto the Inn because I was having issues with the WiFi connection in my original apartment. Very glad I did. Stayed in the one bedroom 3 nights. It was clean, comfortable, charming and had everything I needed. It's nestled at the end of the San Carlos town square has great owner and staff, a bohio with a grill and very comfy hammack. Also really reasonably priced! ext time this will be my first choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
#2 of 13 in San Carlos
Bay View Hotel
Bay View Hotel
#2 of 2 in San Carlos

Been to San Carlos Beach Inn? Share your experiences!