“Great place with friendly staff”
Review of Manglar Lodge

Manglar Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in San Carlos
San Carlos, Panama
“Great place with friendly staff”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The room is lovely and the AC very much appreciated. Being so close from the beach is great asset for a quick swim since there is no swimming pool (not really necessary). The food is really good but we think some meals could be les expensive.

We had a bathroom issue with the water dropping from the tap, but they fixed it right after we mentioned it.

We definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PascalOnTheBeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Port Mansfield, Texas, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Great lodge at the end of the road. We spent time on the beach playing in the waves and watching the surfers. Current is pretty strong so beware. Beach has varying sizes of volcanic rock so it can be tricky getting to the ocean as you must walk through rocks. Breakfast was cooked to order and very good. Rooms have own balcony which was pleasant. Great accommodations. Would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Julie W
Riverhead, New York, USA
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Very beautiful setting. It is along a creek that empties into the ocean.
I thought we would hear the ocean waves from our room but could not.
Others go for surfing. We were checking real estate options out and relaxing.
Food is very good. Nothing disappointed. Always fresh.
Across the road is a beach front hotel with a pool. I went there daily.
The black sand is very hot. I did not like that.
Very impressive difference between high and low tide.
Owner friendly and concerned that your needs are met. Not one bit pushy.
There were two families with kids there when we stayed. All seemed happy.
Furnishings were nice but sparse. Custom pieces were not yet completed/delivered.
Wi-Fi worked well.
Owner is a fine photographer. Do check out his website.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BridgetRiver
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 30 June 2013

The hotel is very nice. The food at the restaurant was good. The room is clean and cozy. The bathrooms are a good size. The bed is comfortable. The beach near by is great for looking for shells and has beautiful black sand. We don't surf but enjoyed just jumping in the waves and finding the best shells I have seen in years.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AR-BRAY
manglarlodge01, Owner at Manglar Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for staying in our place I am glad you enjoy your stay with us and the beach if Palmar which is a fun place

Thanks
Ivan M.
Kihei, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 June 2013

If you like being on/near a great beach for finding bazillions of shells, THIS is the only beach in Panama we've seen so far that is off the hook amazing for this. We've now been to several other beaches and have yet to find anything remotely near as great as El Palmar/San Carlos beaches for picking up shells.

Manglar Lodge...awesome. GREAT breakfasts in the morning (we LOVE the giant fruit & yogurt parfaits in the morning for $5), everything we tried on the menu we liked, and the pricing was reasonable..portions are on the BIG side :)

Very friendly staff, nice clean rooms, good amount of space for the 4 of us...outdoor showers were used often while we were there. Super convenient location for the surf school next door also.

We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: The bigger room doesn't have a balcony like the others, but it was great for the 4 of us!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank newdad28
manglarlodge01, Owner at Manglar Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for your comments I glad you had a good time at manglar lodge and enjoy the beach of Palmar looking for shells which is just perfect here. There are a couple of times a year were you will find millions and millions of them
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We spent 2 nights at the Manglar Lodge with our 2 young boys. It was a little tricky to find, but Omar, the manager, who speaks very decent English, guided us there by phone when we got lost.

Once there, we were assigned to room #4 which is in the back left corner of the lodge. It was very spacious with 2 queen beds, a nightstand, desk w/fridge and chair and even had an oversized shower! All this with plenty of room for our luggage and room to move.

The Manglar Lodge has very easy access to the beach and the first night, we had the entire beach to ourselves... on a Saturday to boot! The shells you can collect there are beautiful - unlike any I've seen at beaches in the states. My boys loved beachcombing!

Every meal we ate was delicious and the presentation was beautiful every time! Our favorites were the chicken Caesar salad and yogurt parfaits.

All the staff was courteous and helpful and even helped me with my Spanish.

My only complaints are that the internet access didn't work in our room and the beds were very uncomfortable. The only place we could run our internet-based business from was the restaurant downstairs or outside on the front terrace, where we were eaten alive by mosquitoes - even when wearing repellent! The beds were hard, hard, hard and as a side-sleeper, my hip bones hurt within minutes of laying down. On Saturday night, loud music started playing around 2:30 am somewhere nearby which woke me up and then I had a hard time going back to sleep. The second night, a mosquito munched on my legs and I lay awake from a back ache and itchy legs for 2 hours.

In summary, I highly recommend the Manglar Lodge as long as you have great insect repellent, aren't a side-sleeper (or prone to back aches) and don't rely on internet access!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the back rooms, but the two front rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
manglarlodge01, Owner at Manglar Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for staying with us. I am sorry about the internet access in your room. the main problem is we had some storms and it just reset all the setting of the extender we have for room 4. it was a super simple fix that Omar could had fix really fast.

thanks
Ivan
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I have spent 8 days in Panama looking for the perfect place to Retire. The jury is still out on whether or not it Is Panama. With that said, I would come back to Manglar Lodge in a heart beat! As has been said many times, you can't beat the hospitality and graciousness of Ivan the owner. I felt at home immediately. I echo all the accolades that have been afore mentioned! I have been to Panama City, Chitre, David & Boquete and Ivan and his place is a must on my return trip. Ivan did suggest I go to El Valle to see if that would be a retirement place to consider. It most certainly is. It is about 30 km or so from the Manglar Lodge. It is in the mountains and on an extent Volcano. I haven't totally vetted the place yet but it is beautiful - the best place I have seen in Panama. However, it looks like the place where the rich live. The weather is perfect. The humidity seems not existent. It is a place for me to consider & it is only a couple hours out of PC.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank JosephBeaulieu
manglarlodge01, Owner at Manglar Lodge, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Thanks for your comment Mr Joseph I really appreciate it. I try to make people fell at home and gave them some useful information so they can enjoy their time in Panama
Thanks
Ivan M.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
Sheraton Bijao Beach Resort
Hotel Riu Playa Blanca
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Hotel Restaurant
Los Mandarinos Boutique Spa & Ho...
#1 of 5 in El Valle de Anton
Bay View Hotel
Bay View Hotel
#2 of 2 in San Carlos
Royal Decameron Golf, Beach Resort & Villas
PSA RioMar
PSA RioMar
#2 of 9 in San Carlos

Been to Manglar Lodge? Share your experiences!