“If you want to learn to Surf this is the place”
Review of Panama Surf School

Panama Surf School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Panama Surf School is the only formal surfing school close to panama city, with classes everyday and bilingual instructor (english and spanish).The school is located on the beach of el palmar great place for learning with waves all year long!!
Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife had taken a surfing lesson in Hawaii and she had a lot of fun but never really got to stand up and ride a wave. What a difference having a great instructor makes for learning how to surf. My wife and son both got up and rode some waves in. They did fall but that is part of surfing and they had a blast. If you want to learn how to surf this is a great place.

There are newer reviews for Panama Surf School

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Flor and her team were fantastic - easy-going, knowledgeable and friendly. We did four surf lessons and one paddle board session. I highly recommend them!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Panama Surf School was such an awesome place to take the family! We rented a surfboard, boogie-board, and some beach chairs for a great price and what a convenience when you are traveling. The owner was very helpful about the tides and the best place to surf and Gladys made us a wonderfully fruit smoothie when we finished up the day...hope we get to go back!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I did a surfing lesson and my wife did a Stand Up Paddleboard lesson. Flor was very patient and helpful, and she speaks English! It was a lot of fun. The water was warm. I'm a novice surfer, but I'd estimate the wavers were 2-3ft in height. Weekdays the beach is fairly empty, so mostly I was out there by myself with Ezekiel (another Argentine ex-pat) for a few hours. I managed to stand up a few times, but surfing is a bit challenging. I want to do more! The only thing new I have to add to the reviews is you should stay at the Manglar Lodge down the street and there are small lockers at El Palmar to keep your personal belongings. Thanks again, Flor!

Oh, almost forgot. For a small fee the staff will make you a fresh fruit smoothie. I had a mango and my wife a Papaya smoothie. Both delicious and just what the doctor ordered after a long day of surfing.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is an excellent place to learn to surf. The waves are big enough but not too big, the waves break quite a ways away from the shore and so last a long time, the water is chest-high at the starting point, the bottom is sandy, there is almost no cross-current, and the beach is fairly wide. Would note that the beach is fairly crowded (at least on weekends), but the people in the water seemed used to dodging surfboards.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The boards were quite nice and in very good shape for beginner boards. The check-in person and our instructor spoke very little English, but some of the other staff did. Their "first-timer package" of $40 for 2 hours plus the board was cheaper than other places we looked, the instruction lasted a full 2 hours, and class size is kept very small (in our case it was 3 students).

We had 2 surfing first-timers with us, and their learning experience was much better than mine had been years ago. They both had 20-30 runs during the 2-hour session.

As others have noted, you need flip-flops to get from the surfing center to the beach, as the walk takes a bit and the black sand is scorching hot. We heard that there is a thievery problem around the beach, so it may not be a great place to leave expensive stuff. No one stole our $3 flip-flops, so all was good.

A fun time was had by all.