“Beachside Hotel - needs some TLC”
Review of Bay View Hotel

Bay View Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in San Carlos
Boston
“Beachside Hotel - needs some TLC”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Lucky to find a room on busy long weekend. Management & staff very friendly. Hotel needs some TLC - Perfect location right on El Palmar beach. Many locals frequent the restaurant and pool especially on weekends. Full menu and bar service. Great for families

Room Tip: Ask for room in new annex away from the noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My family and I had a great time with friends 5 years ago at this place, which is only 1.5 hrs away from were we live. Our daughter asked to return for her birthday this year and I booked 2 rooms 2 months ago for us and for our friends explaning that this was a special date and we were hoping to have at least as good a time as last time. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Our room only had a ran down nightable and no other tables or drawers in which to put our things. The floor was dirty with sand and the water heater did not work. Our friends´ room was in a better shape, clean, with tables and shelves as well as a water heater that worked! When I asked the lady at the reception (an elderly woman from Honduras) to please fix the water heater or move us to another room, she said I needed to wait for the handy man to come on to his shift and refused to put us in another room in spite of the hotel being pretty empty. The worse part, however, was that she became angry at the fact that I was requesting that they honor what they promised to offer and was extremely rude and inappropriate towards me, saying that I should go to a 5 star hotel and never return to Bay View. She raised her voice, pointed her finger at me and became completely irate. I seriously think she has an anger control problem as she also became rude on the phone when I had called to find out that we had to take our own beach towels as the hotel does not provide them.

Sadly, we later found that this woman is the owner´s wife and therefore, there was no one else we could complain to and expresss our disappointment to. The waiters and servers at the restaurant and bar were very nice to us and seemed embarrassed when they witnessed how the woman at the reception treated us. We managed to enjoy the beautiful weather at the beach but will never return to this place which does not look anything like the pictures on their web page.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Maclux

Travellers are raving about these San Carlos hotels

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here for one night. I even skipped my surfing lesson the next day to get out of this place. It isn't the worst place I have ever stayed, it's got a great view right on the beach and a decent pool. It smelled, I think calling it musty is being generous. However, for what they are charging for an old, saggy mattress and a sad excuse for a shower, let alone the slow service and limited menu in the restaurant, I just say no. Best to skip it all together. I checked out the rooms at the surf camp and if I hadn't already paid for the Bay View it would have been an easy choice between the two and the surf camp is a "camp", not a "resort". And I'd have saved some cash.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed for 2 nights in the hotel. For the price I paid, of course I did not expect any luxury. The hotel is surely ran down, and the rooms and furniture need some upgrade BUT the hotel has a beautiful view of the ocean. It is very nice to walk during the low tide or watch the rising tide from the restaurant's patio.. It reminded me very much of the beaches of the Île de Ré on the Atlantic coast of France.. There is a small restaurant and a nice patio, a small swimming pool made in a form of a fish (?). I had one of the rooms with a little bit of the ocean view. The staff is friendly. I noticed that many people come during the day for lunch only or for a drink while enjoying the ocean view. A minus is that they don't serve breakfast and it is not included in the room fare. It would have been nice to have my breakfast while watching the ocean. One has to walk across the parking lot to the "Manglarlodge" by the same owner. They serve standard US food for breakfast/lunch and dinner, e.g. hamburgers, club sandwiches, fried eggs with bacon, tea, OJ, coffee, etc. No espresso coffee though. I think there is no hot water.. I never figured it out in my room.. Anyways.. I hardly use hot water in Panama..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2013

My husband and I traveled all over Panama for 7 weeks and stayed there for 3 days, this was our second worse place we ever stayed.
The rooms are outdated, the curtains look like they never been washed, oversized that don't open or close,
The furniture in the room is all miss-matched pieces
Air cond. units are falling apart, in the middle of the night a piece falls out and wakes you up
The TV unit is about 20 years old, everything is falling apart, the toilet paper dispenser is there but you can't put the roll in.
The owner live right beside the hotel but they are only interested in $$$$, rooms, food and drinks are seriously overpriced, every weekend they get busloads of locals to have parties .
They charge $ 12 per adult to use the pool which is not a big deal, its dirty.
Some families show up with kids and coolers and the owners makes them take the cooler out of the premises, shame on them they should be worry about fixing the place and been courteous with people not driving business away, they have a great location and could be doing better by lowering the prices and giving people a value for their money.
The only nice person there was the receptionist and she spoke English. There was no place to get ice so we had to ask at the bar and only got half bucket.
Drinks and food are much too expensive, prices meet the high life of a 5 start hotel, the only difference is that this place is a dump.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 27 March 2013

the resort its kind of OK, however the food its a rip off, I'm from panama and the prices they charge for food its way beyond ridiculous. They take for ever to bring you the food and it doesn't taste that good. The pool is not well taken care of.

El resort esta mas o menos sin embargo la comida esta demasiado de cara, es un robo. demoran una eternidad para hacerla y no esta muy buena. La piscina no esta muy limpia.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hans H
Fort Meade, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I found this place on accident - just driving around and looking for a place directly on the Beach. What a find. Rooms are basic but the view and restaurant were great. Plenty for beach for long walks in the morning when the tide is out. People were freindly and the pool area was nice if you needed some shade. Power went out a few time but it was no big deal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Royal Decameron Beach Resort, Golf & Casino
PSA RioMar
PSA RioMar
#2 of 10 in San Carlos

Been to Bay View Hotel? Share your experiences!