“Old but still good!”

Sounkyo Kanko Hotel
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed in this hotel during a group tour of Hokkaido in October 2013. The room was of fairly good size with tatami. In the evening a thick futon was prepared for sleeping on the tatami. Although the hotel was dated, it was clean and presentable. The buffet dinner and breakfast were plentiful and very good. The hot spring on the first floor was also very good. The hotel had a small shopping area, three karaoke rooms, a pinball room and a table-tennis room. Visitors should not miss visiting the nearby Kitanomori Ice Pavilion - lots of ice carvings and a room with minus 41 degree Celsius temperature!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank SINtraveller

Reviewed 29 July 2013

My family stayed at this hotel while on a group tour around Hokkaido. The hotel is located within the Sounkyo Gorge area, just a couple of minutes drive away from the famed Ryusei- and Ginga-no-Taki Falls. I agree with past reviewers when they say that the hotel decor looks a tad outdated; whether or not it’s meant to look traditional or simply not revamped all this time is unclear to me. Since my family and I were only staying here for the night, it didn’t really matter that much to me anyhow.

The hotel layout is also a bit unique in that the reception is on the 5th floor, the onsen is on the 1st floor and hotel café on the 2nd floor. During our stay here, we were assigned two different rooms. Both our rooms were located in Saika, the main wing of the hotel. The lifts in the hotel are miserably small, and waiting times for the lift can be painfully long, especially when there are tour groups checking in or out. Our triple sharing room was located on the third floor, which had no direct lift access, instead we had to go down to the 2nd floor, and use the stairs to the 3rd floor. Thankfully, they provided a ramp at the stairs to lug our luggage up and down. However, if your luggage is already heavy to begin with, the ramp may not be so useful after all.

The triple sharing room was a Japanese/Western hybrid; two of which were Western-style beds, and the extra was a western/tatami hybrid bed. What I liked about the room was that it was clean and spacious; you could fit three people in the room and still have adequate space to manoeuvre. I didn’t really enjoy sleeping on the tatami/western hybrid bed as it creaks every time I turn in my sleep. The pillows had this bean-like stuffing also, so it feels like sleeping on sandbags. I did like the fact that that the toilet, the shower and the vanity area were all separated, meaning we could “divide and conquer” if you get my drift. Of course, separating the spaces also meant that the shower room became a lot smaller. Feedback from the tatami twin sharing weren’t that favourable. I heard that the tatami mattresses were very flat and that everything was very low. So if you aren’t that mobile or you’ve got elderly folks intending to stay here, request a non-tatami room instead.

I enjoyed the buffet breakfast and dinner spreads here. I found their variety to be quite good, some of the hot favourites here include the Hokkaido crab legs and the tempura (e.g. pumpkin) during dinner time. The crab meat was so sweet and succulent, and I really enjoyed it served chilled. The sashimi was also very fresh and yummy. Desserts choices are somewhat limited; they serve ice-cream, a sweet soup, fruits, and some cakes only. Breakfast was good; there were Western and Japanese selections. Western choices are the same few, like scrambled eggs and sausages etc. Japanese staples include rice, porridge, tamago and salmon. Do look out for their chilled potato salad, very yummy! Breakfast and dinner starts at 6.30am and 6pm respectively, I recommend coming down for your meals early, especially during dinner as the crab legs are immensely popular. I was there a week before their local school summer vacations and the cafe was already filled with locals and other tour groups.

The hotel staff here do not speak English sadly. I gave up trying to get the hotel staff to change my hybrid bed because the staff couldn’t really understand what I was trying to say. Well at least he looked apologetic! The hotel has a souvenir shop at the lobby area, but stuff at the shop is slightly more expensive than elsewhere (by slightly I mean around 40-50yen difference). Wifi is available free at the lobby too, but the network is often congested and can be rather slow. Except for the noisy bed, I pretty much enjoyed my stay here. If you’re looking for a quiet and relaxing stay, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you're not that mobile, request for a non-tatami room
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 91MJJC19
Reviewed 23 July 2013

A typical onsen hotel flooded by Asian tourist groups. Room was smaller compared to other onsen hotels, and furniture was dated. Buffet spread quite limited, and food was not really delicious. There is a river beside the hotel. Nice scenery.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jyunqing
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This is an old style hotel, small room with small bathroom. Onsen is normal. The food is a bit disappointed because there were too crowded, and the food choices not much with normal taste. Only a small gift shop at lobby, if you want some light supper, there is a 7-11 nearby, but it's very dark at night to walk there. Wifi is slow and only available at lobby. Not recommended to stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank mosiangcloud
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My wife and I arrived hotel early and the room is not ready. We left baggage and go out for sightseeing. We backed around 3:30pm and a young lady front desk staff helps our check-in with good English speaking and service. Nobody help us to move our baggage from lobby to room, maybe that moment is busy. My reservation is Japanese style room and the room is clean and clear. Room size is not large but reasonable and fit for two people. Traditional Japanese decoration but a little bit old fashion. Anyway, it is comfortable with relax atmosphere. The enjoyable snowing forest view from window is like a picture. We sat near the window with a cup of green tea, so good feeling. There have two public bathing is located at G/F (Main entrance on 5/F). One for gentlemen and the other for ladies, will shift on different time slot. The bathing pool is a little bit old but hot spring really let the body relax. Our package includes buffet dinner, the better choices are Long-leg crab and steak, other foods quality are satisfied but don’t expect too much. It is a traditional hot-spring hotel with good services, but the hotel lobby and some equipment are old. Anyway, it is resonable and recommended.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Julian_Kan
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The Kanko Hotel is located only a 5min walk from the centre of the village of Sounkyo. Driving into Sounkyo you will see it on your right hand side, just before the bridge.

Stepping into this hotel is like taking a time capsule back to the 70s or 80s!! The carpets and walls are covered in psychadelic patterns, while the lifts attempt to dissect you if you're even a millisecond too slow getting in!

In saying that, it wasn't a bad place to stay. The rooms are large and clean, but do look like they've been in use for some time.

The four(?) onsens located downstairs are incredible! This was our first experience in an onsen and absolutely loved it. Lots of different pools to choose from at varying levels of water temperature.

The buffet is worth the room rate alone! Platters of various kinds of sashimi, crab claws, ramen, noodles, the list goes on and you can eat as much as you like!!

The English language skills were non-existent in all but one of the ladies at the front desk. While this didn't pose us any problems, it could be an issue if you had a complex problem to resolve.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Kanko, but did feel that it was over priced for what you got.

For more info about the hotel and the town of Sounkyo itself (including instructions on how to get there!), feel free to drop by my travel blog at www.andrewstrikis.wordpress.com

Andrew.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I joined a Hokkaido tour. We stayed in this hotel on the 3rd night of a 4-day-trip.
I've learned that this hotel takes a lot of big tour groups, who are loud and annoying~ Their homepage is not fancy either. So I didn't expect too much.
But after arriving, I think it is very good. The room is big, elegant and clean.
The service are good.
The food in the buffet was very tasty~ And they offer -2°C beer! Great!
The onsen (hotspring) was great too!
PS. they do accepts big tour groups from Taiwan/Hongkong, so they have staffs fluent in Chinese~

Room Tip: I stayed in the Room 1630 of the main building, it was great~ Spacious enough for 3 person.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family