“Excellent experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

NASPA New Otani
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

What an experience, the hotel is situated right on the snow. The staff were extremely helpful with all of our requests. The rooms have everything you require and are very comfortable. The buffet breakfast caters for both Japanese and Western and is plentiful. The free bus service to town runs on a regular schedule and if you miss the last one the taxi fare is reasonable. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would recommend it to skiers as snowboarders are not allowed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Graham B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Thai first
Tamuning, Mariana Islands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Here is the link of some areas of the hotel:

My family and I are regular vacationers to Japan but we wanted to try something different. We always do the whole Tokyo, Fuji, Kyoto, & Osaka bit (which we love) but coming from a very hot and humid Island, we wanted to see snow and ski/snow board for the 1st time. Since we knew we still wanted to revisit the places I mentioned above, I came across several ski resorts easily accessible via train from Tokyo. Based on a lot of research/reviews, I finally decided that Naspa seemed the most family orientated and perfect choice for us. Keep in mind though, it’s a SKI ONLY resort! Gala Yuzawa (ski/snow board resort) is only a few minutes away so you can easily do both! I notified the hotel of our arrival itinerary from Guam to Japan and the moment we arrived at the Yuzawa train station, there was someone waiting for us with the hotel shuttle! What an amazing way to start your vacation especially after flying and then riding trains just to get there!

The scenery on the way to the hotel was like something out of what I imagine the North Pole to look like during Christmas, IT WAS GORGEOUS!

When we arrived at Naspa Hotel, one of the staff (who I had been emailing prior to arriving) came out to greet us, her name is Manami Yamada. She was the person that personally made sure someone picked us up at the train station even though we arrived pretty late in the evening because free shuttle service stops at a certain time. We were very grateful even though it was only a few minute ride.

She had recommended beforehand about using “Canyon Company” for English Ski/snow board lessons. Someone from that company will meet you at Naspa or at Gala Yuzawa. Manami was kind enough to set us up using our “Sports Ticket” to get our snow pants, jackets, ski, poles, and they even had the snow board equipment as well! She then helped us get a taxi to get to Yuzawa because we wanted to try snowboarding as well. That spoke volumes because although we didn’t ski at Naspa, she still made sure we were all set!

The breakfast and dinner buffet was AMAZING! If you’re on vacation, you’re going to spend no matter what you do so I suggest you splurge a bit and get the breakfast & dinner buffet package, it’s worth it!

The bedroom that we had was ridiculously beautiful… It was the largest room I have ever had in Japan and it had the most breath taking view! The Superior Fourth room had 2 separate bedrooms so it was perfect for my 2 kids and me/husband.

Other perks of the hotel is that they have other restaurants inside that you can eat at although the buffet was my favorite. They have a mini mart where you can buy snack, souvenirs, and winter gear so if you forget something and don’t want to rent it, you can buy it there!

Their selection of clothing rentals is fantastic, I was worried because Japanese tend to be very small and I easily found many number of snow clothes that fit!

The only down thing I can say about the hotel is there is no coin laundry but they do offer laundry service.

Other than that, this place is amazing, the Staff is amazing, I am already trying to figure out how soon we can go back!

To access from Narita airport check jreast website, this is what worked best for us:
JR KANTO AREA 3 DAY PASS
Adult 8,000 yen ($80.00 USD)
Child 4,000y yen ($40.00 USD)
Bought the 3 Day Kanto Pass with this because it saved us money on a ton of things:
GALA OPTION TICKET (Price when bought with 3 day Kanto Area pass)
Adult 1,000yen ($10.00 USD)
Child 500yen ($5.00 USD)

Your Kanto pass gets you from Narita to Echigo Yuzawa Station so you don't have to pay for any train ride!
Narita Airport > Tokyo Station (NEX or SKYLINER/ 60 minutes)
Transfer
Tokyo Station > Echigo -Yuzawa Station (Shinkansen/76 minutes)
Take the West exit at this station to get on the FREE shuttle bus that hotel provides (5 minute shuttle ride)

When you check in and if you get the room package that has a sports ticket, make use of it! Check website to see what you can select from with Sports Ticket.

If you need English Ski lessons, they can arrange it for you. This is the price for PRIVATE lessons for me and my 2 daughters:
PRIVATE SKI LESSONS (10AM – 12PM):
20,000yen ($200.00 USD)

Manami Yamada & Naspa New Otani Staff, THANK YOU many times for making our 1st ever snow experience an amazing one!!!

Room Tip: We got this stay package: (Superior 4th Room) Early Booking Rates Available*Ski Plan - Buffet Dinne...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank jontedeleon
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Think Club Med Japanese style and you have a pretty good idea about what to expect at Naspa New Otani ski garden. The hotel is mostly geared to families and to Japanese speaking families in particular. However, even though we didn't speak a word of Japanese we were able to just about negotiate our way around the resort and found our stay quite enjoyable.

The resort advertisers itself as a family ski resort which is exactly what it is. You will feel comfortable leaving the kids alone to ski on the slopes or join any of the numerous activities they have on offer including learning to ski for the first time through to mogul skiing. The classes however are only in Japanese meaning if you don't speak the local lingo you might get away with joining up for first time ski lessons but would struggle to comprehend advanced ski classes. In the evening there is night skiing and also game rooms to keep the kids entertained throughout the whole day.

The ski resort also offers grownups a reasonably good ski experience with green, blue, black, and expert slopes that offer a reasonable test to average to good skiers but may not fully challenge hardcore types. Still, there are plenty of ski resorts in Yuzawa allowing you to base your stay at Naspa and use the shuttle bus or train to access other resorts in the area.

The property and rooms are tidy and clean and we never found wanting for a ski resort. Each room comes with their own ski locker in the lobby area to store ski gear. The hotel also has a super onsen overlooking the snow covered alps that is free to use for all guests and open 24hours. Wifi is also free throughout the resort.

The resort was crowded when I stayed there and being only an hour and a half by Shinkansen from Tokyo I guess its a popular destination for families to escape the capital but I never once felt boxed-in or disturbed by noisy kids and in fact quite enjoyed hearing and seeing kids running around having a lot of fun.

The resort is not cheap but if you are a family looking for a base to let your kids go off skiing on their own while you look for more challenging slopes then Naspa can't be beat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank BritinBangkok
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

I visited Naspa alone, on my first visit to Japan and unable to speak any Japanese. It probably wasn't the best choice for me (or anyone in a similar situation).

That said, in many ways it's a great hotel.

So, what's good and what's not?

Naspa is a big hotel on the mountainside away from the main village/town. By 'away' I mean around 1km up a windy road. There's a regular and free bus service run by the hotel during the day which is great but after 6:30 the only option is a very expensive taxi (around $10 each way) or staying in the hotel for the evening.

There are quite a few options when staying in the hotel; a number of bars and restaurants. However, despite the hotel being well filled from what I could tell during the day, at night it became a ghost town. Comparisons to The Shining were easily made. Without exaggeration, I was alone with bar tenders on the two occasions that I did try the bars. To their credit, neither time did they encourage me to kill my family.

I think Naspa is most popular with Japanese families with fairly young children. I can only assume that they all got very early nights. As far as I could tell I was the only non Japanese person staying in the hotel. Night life/apres-ski there was not.

Ok, so what about the skiing? That was at least fifty percent of the reason for being there after all.

Well, it's ok. Great for first time skiers in fact. Plenty of gentle slopes to learn and practice on. A few slightly more challenging ones for the more confident and a small park with some jumps and rails to play on and some short, semi un-pisted steep slopes for the more advanced. And, for better or for worse, no snow boarders allowed! It was also very uncrowded.

For anyone but the very nervous or the absolute beginner however, and especially for those used to the European resorts, the skiing is very limited indeed. The runs were short, mostly greens or blues, and there were very few which offered any real challenge. Overall there was very little to keep even an intermediate skier interested and challenged.

It is possible to travel to one of the other nearby ski areas if more challenging and diverse skiing is desired but it involved multiple bus journeys which is not ideal.

In summary then, if you have a young family, want to learn to ski, can speak Japanese and have no interest in any nightlife, then Naspa may well be for you. It was not for me.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tfwiii
sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2014

We went to Yuzawa with the kids to play in the snow and we had a great time! The hotel is easy to get to (regular shuttles from the station) and is very comfortable. We had a superior Fourth Room which is more like a two bedroom apartment, and got a package that included breakfast and dinner. The room was very quiet which is important to us! The kids enjoyed the pool too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank sydneykaren10
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Naspa is our first time out at a ski resort so we have nothing to compare to. We also didnt ski but had a whale of a time playing in the snow with the kids with the sleds. Getting to Naspa is pretty easy from Tokyo, especially if you have a JR Pass and is only 80 mins away from Tokyo Station. Unfortunately our JR Pass ran out a few days before so we had to purchase return tickets but it still only worked out to be around USD45 per way per person which was still reasonable.

There are a lot of other resorts around the area so it is worth exploring the Echigo-Yuzawa area if you're in Tokyo during ski season.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael C
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2012

5 minute drive from Echigo Yuzawa station, which is only 80 minutes from Tokyo by Shinkansen. I stay at this hotel every year and always book a junior suite that is originally built as a residential condo - spacious & comfortable, yet the price is only a few thousand yen more than a regular room.

Public baths are large but not as good as those of traditional ryokans in the surrounding area.

Dinner buffet can be a highlight of your stay - a opportunity to try variety of Japanese dishes all together. They have tables for Japanese & Western but don't expect too much for western dishes.

Slopes are rather small and generally not very exciting, but exclusive for skiers therefore you'll see many families with small kids. There is a mogul course on a relatively gentle slope, which can be an ideal spot for those who want to try a taste of mogul skiing.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple