“Great place only on the weekdays”
Review of Gala Yuzawa

Gala Yuzawa
Book In Advance
More Info
US$459.24*
and up
Snow Tour from Tokyo
More attraction details
Owner description: Gala exists to make your trip from Tokyo to the snow as easy as possible. Located in Yuzawa, Gala is the only ski resort in the world with it's own Shinkansen (bullet train) station; it takes from as little as 75 minutes to arrive at Gala direct from central Tokyo. The resort's gondola and chairlift give access to over 800 vertical metres of skiable terrain, breathtaking views and of course lots of Japanese powder! To help you enjoy your trip to the resort we have staff that speak many languages including Japanese, English, Korean and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) at our information desk. There's also an English speaking ski school and one of the biggest rental shops in Japan. We have everything you need to get out on snow including skis and snowboards, outerwear, goggles, hats and gloves. We also have sled sets available for those who don't feel like skiing or snowboarding but still want to enjoy the snow. You don't need to bring anything with you to experience the snow here at Gala. On top of that there's six restaurants to choose from, a retail shop, a locker room and a spa for relaxing after a long day on the mountain. Come and enjoy the snow with us this winter!
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Great amazing place for learners.. however beware of the snowboarders, they are reckless and not well behaved and not well controlled either. They offer english skiing and snow boarding lessons. The runs are great but I find their lack of organizing this place on the weekends disappointing.
I spent 4 days there and Saturday is hell. I would never recommend it to anyone. INstead of the 8-10 lining up for the lifts, just the beginner hills you have over 70 people lining up. Kids club looks fun and overall an ok place but only WEEKDAYS

2  Thank huandersens

Reviewed 26 January 2014

good skiing for intermediates and powder hounds. facilities very good and typically well organised as with all Japanese ski resorts

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Went with a group of 12. Left early and before you know it we were there. Rentals were in great condition and there were lots of people there who spoke English. Since we went mid-week, we found it not too crowded, but apparently it gets crowded on the weekends. Since I had not skiied in a long time, I stuck to the beginner slopes and did a half day rental. Went to the onsen and really enjoyed sitting outside(there is a bathing suit and non bathing suit option)with a great view of the snow and the mountains. Lunch in the lodge was fine-all in all a great dau out of the city.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

It was my first visit to Gala Yuzawa. I took the first train on the opening day and arrived early in the morning.

The staff members were well-trained and some of them were multilingual. So I managed to get my one-day pass and equipment without much difficulty.

The equipment was almost brand-new and worked properly. Although one of the toe straps snapped by accident while I was skating on my snowboard, I had it quickly replaced at the rental counter of the Cheers building.

The snow was beautiful and the various courses suited the needs of skiers of different levels.

Another thing I like about the resort is its convenient location. In fact, the resort has its own station (Gala Yuzawa) on the Joetsu Shinkansen. You are in the the resort right off the train.

Now there is a JR Kanto Area Pass discount until May 6, 2014: With an extra ¥1000, you get a round-trip ticket between Jomo Kogen and Gala Yuzawa. That is ¥9000 in total, including a JR Kanto Area Pass, which is sold at ¥8000. Different kinds of special offers are available at the resort when you present your JR Kanto Area Pass.

The next time I go skiing again in Japan, Gala Yuzawa is undoubtedly my top choice.

1  Thank JiveSun
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Went there for skiing with my friend. Both are ski-virgins.

Very convenient, native English speaking staff are available, service is excellent, most happy to share and advise the best equipment for rental, etc (and all with a very nice smile).

Had lots of fun despite the crowd. Worry about crashing into people all the time but we still do rounds of chair lifts till it closes.

Had early lunch. Ski till you are dead beat tired. Ended the day with a hot bun and some shopping. Slot the ticket into the train station and you are zipped back to Tokyo again in no time.

Highly recommended for first timers, suitable for people who want to just play around and not spend hours and hours on the road to ski resorts, stay overnight, etc.