“You won't be disappointed! Even in Mid April :-)”
Review of Gala Yuzawa

Gala Yuzawa
Book In Advance
More Info
US$460.84*
and up
Snow Tour from Tokyo
More attraction details
Owner description: Gala exists to make your trip from Tokyo to the snow as easy as possible. Located in Yuzawa, Gala is the only ski resort in the world with it's own Shinkansen (bullet train) station; it takes from as little as 75 minutes to arrive at Gala direct from central Tokyo. The resort's gondola and chairlift give access to over 800 vertical metres of skiable terrain, breathtaking views and of course lots of Japanese powder! To help you enjoy your trip to the resort we have staff that speak many languages including Japanese, English, Korean and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese) at our information desk. There's also an English speaking ski school and one of the biggest rental shops in Japan. We have everything you need to get out on snow including skis and snowboards, outerwear, goggles, hats and gloves. We also have sled sets available for those who don't feel like skiing or snowboarding but still want to enjoy the snow. You don't need to bring anything with you to experience the snow here at Gala. On top of that there's six restaurants to choose from, a retail shop, a locker room and a spa for relaxing after a long day on the mountain. Come and enjoy the snow with us this winter!
Doncaster, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“You won't be disappointed! Even in Mid April :-)”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Here is my story, it started off as a day trip out on the Bullet Train but went into the ski centre to get a cable car ticket and found out you can only go half way up without skiing, now should I go skiing or not. You need to remember I am in jeans and a cheap water proof jacket, no gloves and haven’t skied for about 25 yrs……. What he hell, go for it, what is the worse can happen, I have got accident insurance! I get my gear (skies, boots and poles (£22 for half day hire and half day lift pass £8) – didn't bother with snow clothes or gloves.Cable car up to the ski lift was ok, views were amazing. I am very nervous now, thinking “what have I done, I must be mad”, too late….., time to get out of the cable car and on to a ski lift.
Put my skies on, it was just like riding a bike, I must have looked a pro at the ease at which I clipped in to my bindings, wait a minute though, everyone else in proper ski clobber and I’m stood there in jeans, waterproof jacket, no gloves, no goggles…….. no turning back now…………….As the top got nearer, I was shaking like a leaf; I now have to ski off the lift without falling over……but was ok, for a short while anyway. I now have 2 choices; 1 – a rather steep slope or 2 – a not such a rather steep slope – bugger, spoilt for choices……..which one is less likely to result in injuries?What I hadn't noticed before I got on the lift, to my left, was a kids / practice slope, maybe I should have gone there first to remember how to turn and stop, too late now!
I go for number 2 – a not such a rather steep slope, which was signed posted “Edelweiss” and I think it said “beginners”, liars, the lot of them!
Skiing is easy, it’s just the slowing down, turning, avoiding people and trees and stopping that’s hard! As I was by myself, taking pictures was going to be difficult, except for some selfies, I had a brain wave, let’s take a video while I am skiing, what a great idea (until I crash and burn trying to film my self).
Spent the next 2 ½ hrs having a brilliant time, up and down the ski lifts, like a pro, one local Japanese guy said “you no cold” (in his best English), as he looked at me in my wet jeans and blue hands, “no” I said, I am quite warm thank you!
Anyway, second to last run was down a snow board run by mistake, not really designed for skiers, took me a good while to negotiate a small but rather steep slope.
Last run of the day was past a “Love Bell”, gave it a ring babes and said “I love you Sue” before shooting off down the hill one last time for a well-deserved apple and cinnamon crepe.
What am I saying....this place is great if you are are beginner, would have to agree with others about short runs but hey, for a day out, I had great fun, even at the end of the session so it must be magic during the session. You won't be disappointed!

Visited April 2014

• Thai first
Bangkok
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“convenient, English speaking staff but with some trade-off”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

overall, very convenient for those who has no Japanese skill at all. Provided English speaking staff available, well managed & organized. What you have to trade off is of course 'Money', they charge you on everything they can, but no place is perfect after all, right?

Visited April 2014
2 Thank raindang
Hong Kong
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Ski at Gala”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Try not to go during the weekend. It is extremely crowded due to the JR East Rail ski offer for Gala Yuzawa.

Visited February 2014
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great for Skiing”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Did a daytrip for skiing for the family. First time for the kids, they had a private class, cost was manageable. For first time skiers, go early to sort out the skis and boots. Price for food was reasonable. It was a 80min Shinkansen ride out of Tokyo. I will recommend for families who wants to expose your kids to skiing or build a snowman for the first time.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Adventurer-Ian
hanoi
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great place only on the weekdays”
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

Great amazing place for learners.. however beware of the snowboarders, they are reckless and not well behaved and not well controlled either. They offer english skiing and snow boarding lessons. The runs are great but I find their lack of organizing this place on the weekends disappointing.
I spent 4 days there and Saturday is hell. I would never recommend it to anyone. INstead of the 8-10 lining up for the lifts, just the beginner hills you have over 70 people lining up. Kids club looks fun and overall an ok place but only WEEKDAYS

Visited January 2014