Naeba Prince Hotel
Nakaya(Yuzawa-machi)
US$195
US$172
Rakuten Travel
All reviewsfood courtski schoolski rentalechigo yuzawa stationgondola ridetrain stationhotel is greatpublic busnight skiingrooms are decentsave moneymassive hotelwalk straight outtwin bed roomwalk into towndirect viewhotel guests
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Like many other reviews here, I agree. The hotel is sad and feels like it had its hey-day many many moons ago. However, yes, the location is absolutely unbeatable for a ski-in, ski-out holiday.

We came at the end of the season so many lifts and restaurants were already shut but it was still a good experience. The best bit was going over via the Dragondola to Kagura. For our last day skiing, it was sadly shut due to bad weather.

The restaurants were not great but again, we were limited due to the time of our visit - so no fault of the hotel and I can only comment on what was open for us.

The sushi restaurant was very good and we went twice. The breakfast options were not great but sufficient enough especially if it is already included in your package.

The room we had was HUGE. There was a bit of confusion about our room (our issue) but the manager contacted me beforehand to discuss the situation. We selected a mountain facing room but it was designated as smoking. I asked the manager to do what he could to remove the smell and the staff did a wonderful job.

The staff we encountered were really fantastic from check in to check out to restaurants. Zero complaints there.

Would I go back? Yes.. And it seems like a great 'starter' slope for kids and new skiers but still entertaining for more advanced skiers especially Kagura.

The location, easy ski in was unbeatable but I do wish the hotel was upgraded a bit.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LookingForAnOdyssey
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This hotel is definitely past it's prime and may actually be the most run-down of the Prince Hotel chains in existence, but is not a bad place to stay since it is located right on the slopes of the Naeba mountain ski resort. The building is part of a sprawling complex of stores and restaurants, pretty much giving it a feeling of a small city. The rooms are small, but nice enough, but certainly wouldn't be considered luxury accommodations by any means. A short walk into town and you can find other stores and restaurants. The lack of wifi in rooms is a little disappointing, but not a major problem if you aren't counting on wifi at all.

The ski/snowboard school on premises is pretty good and they offer indoor preparation before actually going out on the mountain which may ease the fear of people, especially children who are learning for the first time.
It is accessible by the Prince hotel service bus from Echigo Yuzawa station (approx. 70 minutes from Tokyo Station by Shinkansen)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ken212
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Firstly, it is a great location. Very cool to walk straight out to the gondola and nice view at night. There are really good facilities for kids here, especially the ski school. That said.....
I think they're a bit cheeky with what they are charging customers because it is pretty shabby. The couch in my twin room should have had the covers changed about 10 years ago and the carpet looked like somebody had been murdered on it. Big dark stain surely reminded me of "The Shining". The night meal included in the cost was tasty but too small. We needed a late night snack to make up for it. I guess the only way to make money on this monstrosity is to cut maintenance. Hoping for improvement.

Room Tip: Try not to choose building number 6. It's a little far.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We hesitated a bit to book this hotel as most reviews confirm this is an older hotel in need of renovation. This is correct but we did not bother too much and had a fantastic stay. The location is really fantastic. Directly st the ski lifts with a practical locker for each room and ski rental in the lobby. Add the free shuttle bus from the train station and you can concentrate on fun, family time, skiing without any hassle.
We booked the cheapest room (19m2, view on the parking lot). Room was old, tiny and the beds where old (worn out). It was big enough to fit a baby cot, warm, well working shower, silent = all we needed at a fair price (Y 11,500/night = EUR 75). We can not complain at this price.
We used the daycare for our son a couple of hours. They only speak Japanese but it was great for 2 hours of skiing together. Daycare is really for toddlers (I would say up to 2,5 years old).

We were lucky with great weather and very much fresh snow - we would book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Building 3 and 4 seem quite well located. Even the "parking lot" rooms have view on mountains, just not on the ski slope itself.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jvschaik
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I only stayed here due it it's proximity on the mountain as a ski-in, ski-out hotel. For that alone, it's very good. The complex is huge as a number of restaurants down brick corridors with no windows and there really seems to be a strange feeling around the place.... like faded glory and like a ghost-town. Wifi only seems to work in places on the ground floor and the larger restaurant areas are deserted in the evening. The room was a bit of a let down, though sold as non-smoking with non-smoking signs inside the room, it reeked of smoke (from the curtains and furniture) and also very confusingly, there was an ashtray in the room. The furniture and bedding were very dated but as I got this as a special offer, I can't complain too much. If I had to pay full price for this hotel, I think I'd feel a bit disappointed. The staff spoke English tentatively but were helpful when pressed. The Bell captain was very helpful to book my seat on their free shuttle bus (leaves on the hour) back to Echigo-Yuzawa station. The friendliest I'd seen the staff was waving the bus off as we departed. Overall, the hotel is great if you get the special deal and want to be on the mountain. Otherwise, it's probably too creepy and expensive for me to stay again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends